Kona Tender Location

kb996

• 3 weeks later...
Great location. Right in town full of shops and restaurants. There are a few small beaches near the tender spots.

Great! Kona is the only place that we didn't book any excursions. We plan to walk around town and take it easy.

Three weeks from today and I'll be on the POA. :D

The crew recommended a second hand shop with all Hawaii items. We did not get to visit the shop - it was closed by the time we arrived. It is in the first shopping center where the interet cafe is located. I looked in the window - they seemed to have some nice things./

There is also a store called Crazy Shirts along the main street. We loved the shirts - good quality and very unusual variety. They price around $24 each.

Tender returning to ship was very crowded but moved along. Don't wait until 4pm to decide to return to ship.

The crew recommended a second hand shop with all Hawaii items. We did not get to visit the shop - it was closed by the time we arrived. It is in the first shopping center where the interet cafe is located. I looked in the window - they seemed to have some nice things./

There is also a store called Crazy Shirts along the main street. We loved the shirts - good quality and very unusual variety. They price around $24 each.

Tender returning to ship was very crowded but moved along. Don't wait until 4pm to decide to return to ship.

Thanks! I've added these to my "To Do" list.

I see you've been answering alot of posts here. You should start your own with all these little tidbits. They're VERY helpful!

It's right downtown along Alii Drive. Plenty of cute shops, places to eat, Hulihe'e Palace and Moku'aikaua Church right across from it. This is all within a 10 minute beautiful walk from the pier.

Sparechange,

Thanks. Just looked up Hulihe'e Palace. The website says it's closed due to an earthquake in 2006. Is it open or closed now? Anything else for my day walking around Kona?

It is closed but may be opened by the time you get here. It is very close to being finished. Will ask tomorrow as I will be downtown. There is a shuttle that goes up and down Alii Drive and to the Walmart and Kmart. There are so many nice shops. There are excursions that pick you up right at the pier if you want to site see. Roberts-Body Glove-The Submarine -Many people get right on the Roberts bus and tour not only Kona but other sites on our beautiful island. There is alot to see.

I read somewhere on here that there is a free shuttle that will take you down the coast to a place where you can snorkel is this correct? and if it is where can you rent the gear??

There is a shuttle that goes down Ali'i Dr. (main road along the waterfront) to Kahalu'u Beach Park. There are rentals there or very close by (or at least, that's what people report; we have our own gear and don't really pay attention). There is food available as well. The snorkeling is typically very easy, but you have to watch for currents on the right side (that's where you may see surfers). There is a current in the bay as well; you basically swim against it on your way out and with in on your way back to the beach. Wear water shoes or water sandals on the beach because it's quite a rocky salt & pepper beach. There are some trees for shade, but I don't recall whether they're on the beach or setback. There are sea turtles who make their home in the bay, which is fairly well protected. Remember not to get too close to the turtles or "go after" them in the water. They are a protected species (as well as pretty powerful; I wouldn't want to argue with one). Enter from the north and swim out south/south-west and then circle back around. Earlier in the day is best.

beachchick

• 9 months later...
It's right downtown along Alii Drive. Plenty of cute shops, places to eat, Hulihe'e Palace and Moku'aikaua Church right across from it. This is all within a 10 minute beautiful walk from the pier.

Besides the shuttle Are there taxis at the tender location or nearby?

Sparechange, anyone, how can we get to the "A" beach which I believe is Anaehoomalu Bay? How long would it take and how much would a taxi cost? Is there a shuttle that would take you there? I'm concerned because someone mentioned that there is a strong current at the bay, is this true? I'm not a good swimmer. Would we do better going with a tour co. or NCL tour rather than heading out on our own?

Sparechange, anyone, how can we get to the "A" beach which I believe is Anaehoomalu Bay? How long would it take and how much would a taxi cost? Is there a shuttle that would take you there? I'm concerned because someone mentioned that there is a strong current at the bay, is this true? I'm not a good swimmer. Would we do better going with a tour co. or NCL tour rather than heading out on our own?

Aloha. I answered in more detail on your thread. As far as I know, there still is no shuttle up the coast from Kona. Going to Kahalu'u is a quick 5 miles down the main road; going to A-Bay/Waikoloa is about 1 hour each way.

There can be strong currents anywhere and any time. Much depends on the conditions (weather and ocean) when you are there. Our personal experience has been fine, but we're strong swimmers and have snorkeled many times. You might be better going with a tour company because they will have safety gear available, as well as crew in the water to make sure everyone is okay. If you're not a good swimmer and not a snorkeler, then you might want to skip A-Bay entirely and just head down to Kahalu'u. It's easy, it's inexpensive, there is a snorkel rental shop (if you don't have your own gear), and it's closer to the pier with much less effort involved in getting there.

beachchick

BEACHCHICK, Thank you so much for your response. I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii (but not on the Big Island), but I have always used a snorkeling vest. I think you are right and our best bet is to take one of the NCL tours. Thanks again!:D

Archived