ATA vs. K2Aviation

brandygirlo

We are debating between the flightseeing Grand Denali tours with ATA or K2Aviation out of Talkeeta. I know people have recommended doing the summit only. I assume the Grand Denali tours are what you are referring to? Our big question is, how do we decide betweenn these two companies? K2Aviation is a little more expensive. Do they both go to the same places? It is difficult to decifer on their web sites? Help!

Yes, I mean TAT - what do you mean by the summit flight then? Also, is air sickness an issue?

A summit flight- OVER the top of McKinley, big difference from a summit view flightseeing which ALL the others are.

Absolutely airsickness is an issue no matter WHAT flightseeing you take, if prone.

Talkeetna Air Taxi does NOT do summit flights, they will cobook you with Talkeetna Aero.

Talkeetna Air Taxi doesn't do summit flights. Talkeetna Aero does.

http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/mckinley-summit-tour.htm

TAT flies planes which can do glacier landings, but those planes aren't pressurized or capable of climbing to 20,000 feet the way the Talkeetna Aero or K2 summit flights do.

K2 has the best map showing flight routes:

http://www.flyk2.com/routes.html

I assume all the companies fly roughly the same routes, as I'm sure part of it is regulated by the national park service.

I had no good idea how to choose between TA and K2 for our upcoming June trip; I picked Talkeetna Aero, but I can't remember there being a clear reason why -- I think they offered a slightly better price at the time.

-- Eric

Does Talkeetna Aero do glacier landings? Since we will be flying in a small plane in Homer for an hour to get to the bear viewing at Halo Bay and taking the Prince William Sound Glacier Tour, is Flightseeing worth it (I am prone to air sickness)

We are trying to make a decision also. From the web sites it appears that both K2 and TAT have 3 levels (price&time) of basically identical flights each with the option of a glacier landing for an additional $75. These flights do not go to the summit but are equiped with skis for glacier landings. Both Talkeetna Aero and K2 have slightly larger pressurized airplanes that fly the summit but do NOT do glacier landings. So the options are Summit flight vs Glacier landing. Which is preferred? Then after this decision is for Summit is Talkeetna Aero or K2 preferred or for glacier landing is TAT or K2 preferred. There are TourSaver coupons for Talkeetna Aero Summit (11am flight) or TAT glacier (7am flight).

BQ is glacier landing preferred to summit?

Does Talkeetna Aero do glacier landings? Since we will be flying in a small plane in Homer for an hour to get to the bear viewing at Halo Bay and taking the Prince William Sound Glacier Tour, is Flightseeing worth it (I am prone to air sickness)

Only you can decide. I take flights EVERY trip. You are going to have to do something about your "air sickness" anyway. If of interest add a sightseeing flight. I am speculating that your Homer flight is at least transportation based rather than the perhaps 100% scenic flightseeing elsewhere.

Also keep in mind that Redoubt is more likely to ground aircraft in Homer than Talkeetna/Denali. A lot of travel plans this summer may be changed if there's a major change in Redoubt's activity.

Archived