which tours are must see/do?

brandygirlo

WE are considering five different tours. We would appreciate people's viewpoints regarding which tours to definitely do? Given the cost, if we need to cut out one or more, which would be the ones to cut? Know that I am prone to sea sickness and concerned about airsickness possibilities in a small plane. Because of my propensity to sea sickness we are choosing glacier viewing only in calm waters.

1. Flightseeing out of Talkeetna - Grand Denali tour with glacier landing

2. Shuttle bus into Denali Park to Eilson

3. Artic Circle bus/fly tour out of Fairbanks on Dalton Hwy up to Coldfoot and fly back to Fairbanks

4. Glacier viewing out of either Whittier or Valdez

5. Bear watching out of Homer.

You have time and are visiting all these locations??? OR are you looking for "top" tours then will route according to that??? How much time do you have???

And you are also taking a cruise??

They all are worthwhile choices and I definately can NOT see cuting out the cheapie Shuttle bus in Denali park, as it is the whole reason to go there and the best bargain in all of Alaska.

Agree the Denali shuttle should be a priority especially on a budget. Your concerns about motion sickness are valid. The ride can get turbulent and bumpy around terrain like Denali. If you haven't been in a light aircraft, you may want to go on an "intro ride" at your local airport to see how you do. They charge $30-50 and it's a relatively inexpensive way to find out. (You may discover you love the experience!)

If it were me, I would for sure choose the glacier viewing out of Whittier or Valdez and the shuttle bus into Denali National Park. Flightseeing would be cool too but not too sure with your motion sickness. It's an expensive tour and would be a shame to pay that much money and not enjoy it.

WE are planning a land only tour, skipping the cruise and we have a couple of weeks. Our itinerary is basically fly into Anchorage, travel up to Denali, maybe stop for the flightseeing in Talkeetna, drive the Denali hwy., the Richardson hwy to Copper Center and Valdez, ferry over to Kenai Pennisula and take in Seward, Homer, etc. before heading back to Anchorage and home. We could go up to Fairbanks and do the Artic circle tour but someone suggested we skip it.

WE are planning a land only tour, skipping the cruise and we have a couple of weeks. Our itinerary is basically fly into Anchorage, travel up to Denali, maybe stop for the flightseeing in Talkeetna, drive the Denali hwy., the Richardson hwy to Copper Center and Valdez, ferry over to Kenai Pennisula and take in Seward, Homer, etc. before heading back to Anchorage and home. We could go up to Fairbanks and do the Artic circle tour but someone suggested we skip it.

Sorry, but Fairbanks most certainly is very worthwhile and the Arctic tour very interesting- IF of interest. BUT you probably are better off without it, since it needs at least 2 days there. I am assuming you already have an approved car rental lined up for the Denali Highway- and your party is TOTALLY self sufficient?? Able to change tires, basic maintaince?? Be sure to photograph the car, before you even leave the lot, and purchase all available extra insurance/waivers. Most likely your automobile and cc insurance will be void on this unpaved driving.

As a suggestion, it is worthwhile to spend 2 nights in most of your listed locations, with the exception of Talkeetna. I also, only recommend the longer timed ferry from Valdez. Far superior for scenery. Naturalist on board also will have far more commentary.

Frankly with you going to all these places, I would do all your listed tours. Just me, but cut back with the lodging and consider B&Bs and some "grocery store" meals, with eating out once/day. Purchase and use a coupon book perhaps, if the savings are over the book cost.

Archived