Rome Viator HOHO Bus Route

I've searched but can't find the answer to a Rome Viator HOHO Bus Route question. From thier website the route with stops is clear - however does the bus route go "both directions"? The website says "the 1st tour departs the Termini Station and San Pietro at 9AM". So - do the buses go in the same (sort of counterclockwise route) direction or do the buses operate in different directions? My guess is that the buses go one-way - but, it sure would be convenient if you could backtarck to another stop without having to go the full 2 hour circle route. Appreciate any advice. SeaFish

Just did this in Oct '08. The buses only go one direction. If you hop on at Termini you make the same stops as if you hop on at the Vatican. Only difference is you would have to sit on the bus while it loads at the two main stops.

We caught the Ho/Ho at the Vatican as our hotel was close, and we ended up waiting about 30 minutes at Termini for others to load before continuing on the route to the Colloseum.

It's a great way to get around Rome.

agabbymama - Thanks for the prompt info - understand. Agree with a great way to get-around. We've done HOHO in other cities and found it a good way to get a quick orientation plus transport despite the occasional waits for a bus with space. This will be our first trip to Rome. We're planning tours in the AM for the Colosseum and then Vatican Museums in the PM with only 1-1/2hrs between tours. It looks like it's about a distance of 2 miles between sites. What's the best way to get from the Colosseum to the Vatican...grab a quick lunch and still be on time for the 230PM Vatican tour start? What do you think? Again - thanks for the info. SeaFish

agabbymama - Thanks for the prompt info - understand. Agree with a great way to get-around. We've done HOHO in other cities and found it a good way to get a quick orientation plus transport despite the occasional waits for a bus with space. This will be our first trip to Rome. We're planning tours in the AM for the Colosseum and then Vatican Museums in the PM with only 1-1/2hrs between tours. It looks like it's about a distance of 2 miles between sites. What's the best way to get from the Colosseum to the Vatican...grab a quick lunch and still be on time for the 230PM Vatican tour start? What do you think? Again - thanks for the info. SeaFish

Cab.

I found this site that compares the hoho options in Rome:

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

not sure it answers the OP's question but I found it helpful

Ok, I have stupid questions. This site was helpful, but at the bottom with the comparison chart, which one is the "The HOHO"? How will we know which one is coming down the street? I am assuming they are different colors. I'm so confused.............

Thanks for any clues!

badtwin - Thanks for the RomeToolKit info - very helpful. But - I'm still not clear if the bus route beginning from the Terminus goes (south) towards the Colosseum or -(north) towards the Vatican. The HOHO bus route map arrows shows (north) towards the Vatican but - the RomeToolKit description says it goes (south) towards the Colosseum. Do you recall? For us - it's just a planning thing to best take advantage of our 2nd day Rome tour time after doing an arrival day full route trip for a city orientation. So - since we need to book our tours in advance - this info would be very helpful.

CathyCruises - yes...would prefer to do by Taxi. But I've read that few Rome taxi drivers speak english and italian is needed to avoid problems. My italian is not that great. What has been your experience? Thank you - SeaFish

badtwin - Thanks for the RomeToolKit info - very helpful. But - I'm still not clear if the bus route beginning from the Terminus goes (south) towards the Colosseum or -(north) towards the Vatican. The HOHO bus route map arrows shows (north) towards the Vatican but - the RomeToolKit description says it goes (south) towards the Colosseum. Do you recall? For us - it's just a planning thing to best take advantage of our 2nd day Rome tour time after doing an arrival day full route trip for a city orientation. So - since we need to book our tours in advance - this info would be very helpful.

CathyCruises - yes...would prefer to do by Taxi. But I've read that few Rome taxi drivers speak english and italian is needed to avoid problems. My italian is not that great. What has been your experience? Thank you - SeaFish

You are correct, I just looked at the map, and it is the opposite of what we did in Oct '08. Maybe they change the direction for different times of the year (busy season vs off season). But I know we left San Pietro and headed over toward Spanish Steps and Trevi, then caught it again at Barberini and went to Termini. Left Termini past the Forum and Colloseum and back to San Pietro. You will have to plan around the route they are showing now, but be prepared for it to change.

CathyCruises, yes, with the short time period to be sure you make it, a taxi would be the only solution. That's the only thing with the ho Ho, you can't be on a tight schedule.

Actually there are about 4 different HO HO companies. Another one I like to use is City Sightseeing.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml?command=search&clear-search=true&destinations=rome

They advertise if you save your first ticket and show it for subsequent purchases (Pisa, Florence, Naples, Sorrento, etc.) you will get a 10/% discount.

agabbymama - got it...thank you. I think I'll contact Viator to see what's up between the HOHO route map and the actual description for route direction. We'll be there in September - so maybe this does make a timing difference. Again thanks - SeaFish

Hi everyone! We will be visiting Rome for the first time this coming June. We too had looked into a HoHo bus (as we had used them in Paris, London, etc.). I saw a mention of City Sightseeing HoHo buses. The only thing I would caution you about, since it seems you are on a schedule, is to look at the frequency when you compare the different companies that offer HoHo service. I believe the City Sightseeing buses had a longer frequency time than the 110 Open tour. In other words, the 110 Open buses come around every 15-20 mintues. The City Sightseeing buses say they come every 50 minutes.

I saw you mention having tours booked at the Vatican and the Colosseum. Did you book them online? Are they time specific or good for the day? We are looking at possibly an independent tour in Rome, but if we don't do that we will be on the HoHo as well!

Susan

Susan - Thanks for the info. Yes - booked our Rome tours on-line and they are time specific at 10AM and 230PM. We'll do the HOHO bus the day of arrival for city orientation - do the tours on the 2nd day - see some additional sites AM of the 3rd day and then transfer from the hotel to Port of Civitavecchia to board Grand Princess for Rome/Venice cruise. SeaFish

Susan - Thanks for the info. Yes - booked our Rome tours on-line and they are time specific at 10AM and 230PM. We'll do the HOHO bus the day of arrival for city orientation - do the tours on the 2nd day - see some additional sites AM of the 3rd day and then transfer from the hotel to Port of Civitavecchia to board Grand Princess for Rome/Venice cruise. SeaFish

SeaFish,

Just a word of caution, as I did this cruise in Oct '08. With over 18 months of planning, I thought I had it all worked out down to the hour. Plan "A" fell apart a lot, and I didn't have a Plan "B". So when you are doing your research, have a Plan A that you want to do, then have a back up Plan B for when things go awry. Be sure to join your roll call, and arrange transfers and tours with others, as that will save you lots of money.

We had a good cruise, but it could have been better. We found the communication and information from Princess lacking. Many mistakes and misinformation. If you can, arrange a pick-up in Venice, even if it's just to Piazzale Roma. I thought I would just take a taxi, but when Princess is the only ship in port, they don't come to the pier. We ended up having to pay Princess $24 pp for a 5 minute ride to Piazzale Roma. And ended the cruise on a sour note.

Have a great cruise.

agabbymama - Thanks for your reply. Understand about the planning part - absolutely agree. Our 9-19-09 Grand Princess Roll Call has a good group actively sharing info, transfers, tours, etc. We have our tours & times finalized for all ports. We have RomeCabs transfers to hotel/port and water taxis pick-ups in Venice from ship to hotel/hotel to VCE. Now - we just need to countdown the days. Thanks for your help. SeaFish

I don't speak Italian either, but if you get in the cab and say "Vatican" they will know exactly where you want to go. You COULD write it on a card and hand it to the driver if that helped.

Have fun!!

Cathy

Archived