Lahaina submarine for whale watch

Sea Hag

Hi all,

Has anybody here done a submarine whale watch in Lahaina? I ran a search on submarines here and found that many people have done it, but I didn't see any mention of whales. People saw lots of other marine life and like the sub ride a lot, but I'd specifically like to know if anybody has seen whales on a sub ride. If so, how close was the sub allowed to get to the whales?

Boats of any type are legally bound to stay 100 meters away from whales and 50 meters from dolphins. If either is with a baby its then 300 m. for whale and 150 for dolphin.

Having said this,often the under water scenery can be mirky with wave/currents that far out so that's my guess for not seeing whales but only able to see fish that are closer to sub.

Hmmm. That's what I was thinking might be the case. The sub company markets some of their sailings as whale watches, but it seemed to me that it would be iffy on the visibility. Might still do a sub trip for small fish and rays and such but stick to a boat for whales.

Thanks for the info!

Archived