Tracy Arm on the one way cruise in 2010?

In 2004, doing the jet boat up the Tracy Arm was one of the highlights. The Sun followed us up the Arm and we reboarded there, and as we did so the cap was on the intercom saying this was the first time he'd ever seen mountain goats on the hillsides in the two years he'd been driving the gig. We'd seen a dozen that day, but there were three left when the Sun arrived.

When we do the one way to Whittier on the Sun in 2010, I am trying to figure out whether that "shore" excursion is at all likely to be available to us. 2010's shore excursion are not yet listed, and looking at this year's description of the deal, it states that it is a five hour tour available to the Sun and the Pearl only. But I am assuming that this duration is only possible because the cruise ships catch up to the jet boat and the passengers rejoin the ship up the arm. I'm betting that the six and a quarter hours won't be enough, and that the cruise ship won't be climbing the Arm anyway. Also, with the Juneau time being from 7AM to 1:15PM, it will likely be pretty cold and maybe foggy that early.

Anyone think otherwise? Any suggestions?

Smooth sailing.

I can't help you but to just agree with you that it is a fantastic excursion. Expensive but worth every penny. We are going back on the Star next year for Alaska, same itinenary we were on before and if it is not offered we will be more than disappointed as well.

I am puzzled by the Sun's current itinerary??? There is NO way this port time in Juneau makes sense. AND if accurate, would have me looking at something else because it currently means, it is going to stall out and slug into Skagway. Yes, will be "scenic" sailing- darn slow. The timeframe definately allows it- time for Tracy Arm. However, you have NO option for it, with this current port time, and the ship not having Tracy Arm on the itinerary. You otherwise, need 12 hours in port, with a 7am arrival to take this independently round trip from Juneau.

For clairfication, there is NO Tracy Arm excursion for the Pearl.

When we did that catamaran in 2006, the catamaran left Juneau about 90 minutes to 2 hours before the Sun did, and I believe the Sun left the dock around 2:00 that day. It takes a while to go back down to and into Tracy Arm Fjord. The day we did it, we had to cut our excursion short because we were running out of time since the ship had to be out of the fjord before nightfall.

Sure sounds like there's plenty of time to have the excursion on your cruise.

Here's a link to some photos I took in Juneau and on the catamaran: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552927210MONMMC?start=60 They continue on page 7.

Have fun on your cruise!

Archived