Princess Luggage Service

StarTrkGeek

Does Princess still have a luggage service (for disembarkation)?

I know that they have a Princess Valet service ($90 per piece of luggage, each way), where your luggage is shipped via DHL from your home to the ship, and then the reverse direction. However, this is not what I am referring to.

Does Princess still have a service where they collect your luggage at your stateroom and send it through the airport security check-in onto your flight? I seem to remember such a service for about $20 - 25 per person.

They used to in certain US ports with the airlines participating varying by port, with flights that did not involve a change of airlines, to US destinations, but it has been largely discountinued.

When this service was originally started, airlines did not charge extra for the first two pieces of luggage. Now they do, with different rules and regulations and charges for different airlines. Also, the charge may not apply if you were on an international ticket, have certain airline elite status, purchased a certain class of ticket, etc.

In order words, it is now a financial logistical nightmare and impractical to implement.

Southwest (which does not charge for the first two pieces at the airport) does have a service at Fort Lauderdale only where after disembarking, you can check your luggage for a fee and receive boarding passes. One thread reported a 30 minute line to check luggage this way when their ship reutrned to FLL.

If you would be flying Southwest and leaving the Ruby, you can check in just after getting off the ship in Fort Lauderdale, or at least that was the case 2 weeks ago. The wait was about 30 minutes, but well worth it when you can't check in at the airport until 3 hours before your flight leaves. There was no charge for this service.

Since 9/11 this service is few a far between. :)

It was available on the Celebrity Galaxy in April 2008. As a previous poster stated, I believe the cruise lines did away with this service when the airlines started charging for luggage. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

It was available on the Celebrity Galaxy in April 2008. As a previous poster stated, I believe the cruise lines did away with this service when the airlines started charging for luggage. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

I have only seen this service offered in some ports, and only when the passenger is flying on Southwest Airlines now (since they are one of the only ones that don't charge for that second bag).

Like I said it is very few.

As Toto stated Southwest seems to be one of the only ones on Princess.

The other cruiselines still offer this service.

Like I said it is very few.

As Toto stated Southwest seems to be one of the only ones on Princess.

Last April, I flew on American Airlines. Celebrity was offering it on their cruises, for all airlines; it was even on their web site. However, when the airlines started charging for luggage, Celebrity took it off of their web site. I assume that they no longer offer this service -- except with Southwest Airlines.

Last April, I flew on American Airlines. Celebrity was offering it on their cruises, for all airlines; it was even on their web site. However, when the airlines started charging for luggage, Celebrity took it off of their web site. I assume that they no longer offer this service -- except with Southwest Airlines.

Celebrity still offers this service as does RCCL. Princess is the only cruiseline I've heard of that has discontinued theirs.

Princess did last fall when I was on the Caribbean. It was $16 per person, picked up at your stateroom, taken to the airport and checked in for your flight. I was overweight on both bags (too much duty free booze) but was not charged any fee. Four of us requested the service but only two of us got it which made it inconvenient. They said there was no rhyme or reason as to who would get the service.

Archived