whittier for the day

jskinsd

I wil be taking back to back crusies on Carnival Sprit the last week of June and the first week in July. What is the easiest way to get to Anchorage and then back to Whittier before the ship sails? I have seen buses, trains and rental cars. Do you also have to disembark with all your luggage or can you leave on the ship?

Unless you are set on making it to Anchorage I would stay in Whittier and do one of the Prince William Sound day tours to the glaciers. Most leave around 12:00 pm and are back by 5:30. There are several companies to choose from.

Traveling to Anchorage is a beautiful trip but Anchorage is just a large city. The scenery by taking a day trip in Whittier will be beautiful.

Also your luggage can stay on board. If you have the same room both ways you do nothing. If you change rooms your room steward will help with this.

Happy Cruising!:)

Thany you luvlake. I'm thinking about renting a car just for scenery and to stock up on supplies in Anchorage, for the cruise back to Vancouver. I did a RCC cruise in 2003 and I remember the bus trip from Steward to the airport. It was fantastic. I saw my first moose.

Be sure and make your reservations ASAP. They only have Avis in Whittier and I have read on the boards of alot of people making plans for renting a car. Your one advantage is that you will not have to pay the one way fee which is quite high!:)

I do have a reservation for a car rental at Avis but it is not paid for. I plan on calling Avis, when they open, in May. Oh yea luvlake thank you for the infomation on the luggage. I didn't want to have to lug all that luggage around. I have an inside guarantee on the way up and a balcony 8E 8264 on the way back. I did it this way because of the cost ( I'm getting two crusies for the price of a one balcony), I can explore the ship on the way up and relax on my balcony on the way back, and I did know if I wanted the same cabin steward for both trips.

We were quite fortunate ourselves on price breaks. There are 21 of us sailing the first week and 6 for the second week and we all were able to keep the same cabin. I am looking forward to only unpacking once.;)

When I looked at your ship again it hit me that we were on the Spirit in 2004 for a Carribean cruise with a large group. The ship was beautiful and we had a wonderful time!:)

I wil be taking back to back crusies on Carnival Sprit the last week of June and the first week in July. What is the easiest way to get to Anchorage and then back to Whittier before the ship sails? I have seen buses, trains and rental cars. Do you also have to disembark with all your luggage or can you leave on the ship?

There is no "easy". ONLY one way, via the Seward Highway, out the tunnel- which is easy. :) With Avis, you can be out the 9am tunnel. For your return, the tunnel opens on the half hour, $12 toll. Plan on a Portage Glacier visitor center stop. Worthwhile, along with several stops along the Arm. There is Walmart in Anchorage, along with Fred Meyers and Safeways. All reasonable options for supplies. Have an Anchorage map before hand and where you want to go planned out. Then add a trip north, if of interest. Plenty along the way to see and do. I would be back through the 6:30pm tunnel. IF you have the option to stay in your same cabin, or made the arrangements for a room change all ahead, which I will speculate will all be taken care of prior.

Thank you Budget Queen. I plan on having maps and a GPS. Believe it or not, I am just trying to kill some time that is why I'm thinking of the rental car. With so much to do in two weeks I plan on using this day just to goof off and "shoot from the hip". You can only fit so many tours on a budget and this seems to be the cheapest way. Or I can just stay in Whittier. I think not.

Archived