Oriental Escape Tours in Thailand

montelco

Hi, Has anyone ever used Oriental Escape tours for Thailand?:confused: We are looking at travelling in late September to Bangkok (politics willing!!) and then on to Chiang Mai for a couple of days. The tours look interesting so we are curious as to which tours people may have done and enjoyed. What is the weather like in Thailand late September/early October? We have been there in April and November. Thanks for your help.:)

We booked Oriental Escapes for our visit to Bangkok in 2010. I did some research on them and everything I read was positive. They offer interesting tours at fair prices. They replied to my e-mails promptly and have the ability to do pick-up at the airport, while some of the tour companies are unable to do so.

Thanks for all the help. I am particularly interested in what tours people have done. I am debating whether it is worth going for a full day up to Chaing Rai because it seems like a lot of twisty roads there and back when we only have three days in Chiang Mai. Am considering the elephant and bamboo rafting and the Doi Suthep Wat Phra. Was wondering also about the Rose Garden and Floating Markets in Bangkok. Can we do the Grand Palace on our own and what Sky train stop would we take to get there? Any other suggestions. Have deliberately arrived on the weekend so we can go to Chutachak markets again. My husband loved them. The Johnny Depp look-a-like was a classic. Should we pack an umbrella or buy them when we get there? :confused:

Montelco,

We did the Samphran Elephant Ground and Zoo when we were there last year and it was absolutely fantastic! They have both elephant and crocodile shows that are unbelievable. We used Bangkok Airport -Transfer for the tour and our transfers from the airport and to Laem Chebang. They were very good and reasonably priced.

Kind Regards

Chris

Montelco

The BTS Skytrain does not go anywhere near the Grand Palace so taxis are the best bet if you're going it alone.

Seeing you've planned to be here on the weekend you can take the boat after the Grand Palace and stop at the Taling Chan Floating Market which is only open Sat & Sun.

The other Floating Market is at Damnoen Saduak which is 90 minutes out of Bangkok.

Thanks, Klongmaster, for that information. I did want to travel on the Chao Phraya River but the ferry boats we watched near the Jim Thompson house seemed to be having races so was a bit dubious. We will be staying near the Nana Skytrain station. Which floating market would you recommend? :confused: There is also a tour to Ayuthya ancient capital or the Damnoen Markets which seem about the same distance away. We are only in Bangkok for three days. We have been to Wat Po and loved it. Do you think it would still be worth going to the Grand Palace? I have heard that people tell you it is closed if you try to do it on your own. Look forward to your advice. :)

We are planning to use them in about 3 weeks as long as things stay quiet in BKK. I will try to remember to post when we return.

Thanks, Micruiser. They seemed to offer quite a range of tours at a reasonable price. What tours are you planning on doing. We have done Wat Po with a different company a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks, Klongmaster, for that information. I did want to travel on the Chao Phraya River but the ferry boats we watched near the Jim Thompson house seemed to be having races so was a bit dubious.
JT House actually backs on the one of main canals and not onto the Chao Phraya River itself so you can relax...on the main river they are much better behaved...

We will be staying near the Nana Skytrain station. Which floating market would you recommend?
Neither the BTS or the MRT goes anywhere near the Floating Market or the Grand Palace. If you want DIY you'll have to go by taxi.

There is also a tour to Ayuthya ancient capital or the Damnoen Markets which seem about the same distance away. We are only in Bangkok for three days.

Yes Ayutthaya and Damnoen Saduak are in opposite drections. Here's a link to probably the most imformative site for cruisers. Has tours from both Klong Toey and Laem Chabang with prices for each tour.

We are only in Bangkok for three days. We have been to Wat Po and loved it. Do you think it would still be worth going to the Grand Palace? I have heard that people tell you it is closed if you try to do it on your own. Look forward to your advice. :)
Without doubt, if you only see one thing in Bangkok The Grand Palace is THE place to visit...strange you went to Wat Po and not to the GP as they are next to each other. It is closed to foreigners sometimes but all you have to do is post your dates here and someone will be able to tell you if they are open. Otherwsie it's just a scam to take you to gem shops!

Cheers

KM

Some fantastic advice there. :D Will investigate a Grand Palace Tour. Have already had the gem scam attempted. Jumped out of the tuktuk and walked until we found a willing taxi! Everyone wanted to 'stop and get petrol' so it was interesting negotiating.

Have you been to Phuket? Checking out options there too when on a Virgo cruise. Am considering ' a DIY' on the dock when we arrive. Several people have said that it is feasible. Haven't tried it yet. Has Bangkok settled down a bit? Would be a shame to miss out visiting again. All has been quiet on the newsfront here.

Thanks for everything.:)

• 2 months later...
We are planning to use them in about 3 weeks as long as things stay quiet in BKK. I will try to remember to post when we return.

How did you go in Bangkok and on the rest of your cruise? How did you find Oriental Escapes. they have been answering my enquiries very promptly. Thanks for your help.:)

You CAN get to the Grand Palace by Skytrain. From Nana get the train to Siam (very near Jim Thompson house) and change to the other line which takes you directly to the river and is the end of the line. Get on one of the tourist boats which will drop you near Wat Po and Grand Palace.

• 8 years later...

How do I get in touch with Oriental Escape? We will be arriving in Laem Chabang, Thailand on Holland America, Volendam. We would like to go to Bangkok and stay overnight. I understand Oriental Escape has reasonable tours. I would like some suggestions.

We just returned from Thailand and booked 2 private tours with Thai Tour Guide. We had an excellent guide and driver for the 2 days with 8 people. Tours went to Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

Agree about the Grand Palace! Amazing place. Ship's tour didn't even go there! Ayutthaya was very interesting with a Buddha head in a tree! Also visited the Summer Palace on this tour.

Payment is in Bahts at the end of each tour day. Contact is: thaitourguide@gmaiI.com

Anne