Price Drop/Upgrade Question

pjs678

Hi all - My wife and I are booked (thru Carnival) on the Spirit 6/17 Southbound Alaska sailing in a Cat 7A. I saw a $30 per person price drop so I called Carnival and asked if we could get an upgrade or OBC for the price difference. I was offered an upgrade to Cat. 8D, but told that I would lose my OBC of $240 from the promotion. Since that category can be had for only $80 pp more than I paid, that didn't make sense to me, so I stayed with what I have.

The interesting part to me was that I was also told that Carnival no longer gives OBC for price drops past final payment date. The rep told me that this policy was started in January. Is this true? Should I try calling and speaking to someone else?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Actually the no refund after final payment started 12/1/08. Yep, its true. Only early saver can you get refunds up until you sail, but then you couldnt have gotten the cash back deal. Bummer they wouldnt upgrade you without losing the cash. Thats a new one.

Hi all - My wife and I are booked (thru Carnival) on the Spirit 6/17 Southbound Alaska sailing in a Cat 7A. I saw a $30 per person price drop so I called Carnival and asked if we could get an upgrade or OBC for the price difference. I was offered an upgrade to Cat. 8D, but told that I would lose my OBC of $240 from the promotion. Since that category can be had for only $80 pp more than I paid, that didn't make sense to me, so I stayed with what I have.

Paul

Paul, I can kinda see why, because the promotion doesnt apply to the 8D? You would have to upgrade with the same promotion. If you book under a different code, then you cant keep the cash back promotional code you booked under.

Is there a lower category balcony that you could upgrade to without having to pay a higher fare? (i.e. something between the 7A you now have and the 8D they offered?). Maybe the cash back promotion is over and thats why you cant move without losing it? Didnt that promotion end 3/31?

Thanks for the replies.

firefly - The cash back promo still seems to be available when I price out our cruise on the website. Under the promo, the next category available is an 8B for $899. We paid $849 for 7A. I might just spring the extra $100 for the 8B as we get closer to sail date. Seems like plenty of cabins still available.

Thanks for the replies.

firefly - The cash back promo still seems to be available when I price out our cruise on the website. Under the promo, the next category available is an 8B for $899. We paid $849 for 7A. I might just spring the extra $100 for the 8B as we get closer to sail date. Seems like plenty of cabins still available.

Sounds like a good idea to book with the same promo so you can keep the cash back. Nice hunk of change. I was tempted but it was $399 to book without it or $589 to book getting back $120 pp, so wasnt a good idea for us, but I sure would have liked to get onboard with $240 for our cruise that was being offered. I just booked recently too and had to choose.

Archived