Seeking Info on China Tour/Victoria Cruise

aptosed

We are booking a 19 day "Classic China and Yangtze River" tour in Oct 2005 through Pacific Delight World Tours. The trip includes 3 or four days on the Yangtze River via Victoria Cruises. Would greatly appreciate any feedback on the tour company, the river cruise and/or travels in China.

My thanks in advance,

Ed

We're also thinking about a similar trip. We've been to Beijing & Hong Kong many times, but not Xian and river cruise. So can't help you on river cruise aspect.

Specifically which Victoria cruise tour code are you taking and are you considering Gold, Imperial experience or Super Value? And which cruise, there are several 19-day cruises in October.

Values seem pretty good, and info on Victoria's webpage indicates they are nice ships, so we are also curious about Victoria. Viking is much more expensive. Uniworld Tour Co. prices are higher too, but their cruise itinerary details are much better than Pacific Delight's.

Ed, There are a number of threads already on this board on China river cruises so you might take a look at them. We went on a China tour including a river cruise with Intrepid Travel so I can't address your question about Victoria and your question about travel in China is too broad to address. Do you have any more specific questions about China travel?

We chose the trip because we preferred their small group size.

Values seem pretty good, and info on Victoria's webpage indicates they are nice ships, so we are also curious about Victoria. Viking is much more expensive. Uniworld Tour Co. prices are higher too, but their cruise itinerary details are much better than Pacific Delight's.

Well, it depends. Victoria has some great ships - look at their webpage.

But unless Victoria has changed, they seem to just be going up and down the Yangtze. Viking is expensive simply because they do both the land tour and the river cruise. They are also all-inclusive in that they pay for the hotels, air transportation, all meals and all the tours. For example the Tang Dynasty dinner and show is included. It is optional on some of the other tours. Viking greets you at the airport, takes care of the baggage detail and they leave you when the tour ends at the airport. Their main guide meets you at the airport, stays with you during the whole tour and then sees you off at the airport.

Thanks for your response. We are booked w Pacific Delight Tours on the "19 Day Majestic China and Yangtze River", Imperial Experience. The tours from various companies seem very similar. I think that may be a function of the China Tourest Authority. We chose Pacific Delight because of the hotels which they use. Three of the hotels are on a Conde Nast list of the 50 Best Hotels in Asia. We booked a guaranteed tour date of October 5th 2005. The tour number is 5YX19VU. The cruise is four days extending from Yichang to Chongquing. I know nothing about the side trips. We are also extending our stay in Hong Kong.

My biggest concern about the trip is going 20 days without Italian food.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Ed

You wrote:

We're also thinking about a similar trip. We've been to Beijing & Hong Kong many times, but not Xian and river cruise. So can't help you on river cruise aspect.

Specifically which Victoria cruise tour code are you taking and are you considering Gold, Imperial experience or Super Value? And which cruise, there are several 19-day cruises in October.

Tommui...you seem to have been quite happy with Viking since you've rebooked with them. Not sure if you saw my post to Piedtz asking a few questions re his Viking Yangtze River Cruise, but if you don't mind answering them, I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks!

Tommui... I should have included the following in my previous post:

"We are considering a Viking River Cruise trip in China next year and would be interested in your opinion of the trip you just went on. Did you feel that it was well organized; happy with the tour guides, hotels, boat....? Was there enough time at the sites? We are both early 50's and like to be active - it sound like there is opportunity to do lots of walking. Were you able to venture off on your own in places other than Beijing & Hong Kong? (We like to be independent when we travel, but this trip would be impossible without being organized by a tour group.) Anything that you weren't pleased with? Looking forward to your thoughts on the trip.

Thanks for your feedback!"

We were on an organized tour including a Yangtze river cruise. We had reasonable amounts of time on our own in Shanghai and Beijing. We also had a 1/2 day in Xian. From what I can see from other groups along at the same time, on Victoria(Viking wasn't doing them yet), they did pretty much the same. The don't want to run people into the ground and China was easy even on your own(especially with the tour people handling all the luggage). They use mostly the same tours and guides etc. We always felt that we had enough time to do what we wanted(although we could have used a couple of extra days in Beijing). Did a fair amount of walking. Enjoy it I wish we were going back :)

Tommui... I should have included the following in my previous post:

"We are considering a Viking River Cruise trip in China next year and would be interested in your opinion of the trip you just went on. Did you feel that it was well organized; happy with the tour guides, hotels, boat....? Was there enough time at the sites? We are both early 50's and like to be active - it sound like there is opportunity to do lots of walking. Were you able to venture off on your own in places other than Beijing & Hong Kong? (We like to be independent when we travel, but this trip would be impossible without being organized by a tour group.) Anything that you weren't pleased with? Looking forward to your thoughts on the trip.

Thanks for your feedback!"

Was happy with the whole Viking experience to the point where we rebooked with Viking for a trip from Budapest to Nurenburg (and Prague) in May.

The tour guide was great; the hotels were four/five stars - we were even in a mini-suite at the Shanghai Westin!

I'm in my early 70's with a recent back operation and my wife has RO and in her late 60s. And believe me, if you like to walk, you'll will have the opportunity! Tiananmen Square is some 100 acres and across the street is the Forbidden City with 9,999 rooms! You will be rushed through (on foot of course) one end of the Square to the Forbidden City and after lunch to the Summer Palace, a 700-acre complex. The next day, up to the Great Wall and then to the Ming Tombs - any way, you get the idea to venture off as the days are pretty filled up. I would imagine that even in a place like New York City, it would be difficult to get to the Metropolitian Museum, MOMA, Bronx Zoo, Yankee Stadium, Empire State Bldg. Statue of Liberty etc. in three or so days and have a lot of free time. We did poke around Beijing in the evening after dinner - the Beijing Hotel being only a block or two from the shopping streets.!

We did not go to Hong Kong on this trip but looking at the itinerary, HK is for shoppers. Our trip ended in Shanghai where we took the Viking postcruise option and there was more than adequate time to wander around.

The only thing I was annoyed about was the shower - the curtains were a tad short, and the lip insufficient and so there was some water leaking out on the floor. Otherwise, no big problem.

Was there enough time at the sites? No, not really but China is an old civilization and there is just too much to see in the short period of time.

There is a lot of Chinese food on the trip which I did like - unlike one passenger who said that he didn't like Chinese food at all - which made me wonder why he took the trip! Obviously didn't believe in "when in Rome, do as the Romans do..."

If you have any more questions/concerns, let me know!

Appreciate your helpful info - sounds like a great trip! And we do enjoy Chinese food. I'll probably have more questions once I get the trip booked and in the meantime will read some tour books. Frommer's "China-The 50 Most Memorble Trips" looks interesting to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

Look into Vangate Deluxe Tours. We went with them several years ago and they did a wonderful job. They may be a little on the upper end of costs but it showed in service and support. Only problem was with flying interior China as weather delayed us out of Xian. Had to sit in airport for about 4-5 hours. We ent in early June. Weather hot and muggy in Bejing. Li River cruise in Guailin was iffy as water levels due to rain were changing. Loved seeing China but Bejing is a real urban center with lots of traffic. Countryside was fascinatiing.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys -

Here I am looking up info for a Yangtze river cruise and like a bad penny - here you are again as well! Oh to be retired! We (party of 4 this time) are going in June but haven't booked anything yet... now maybe I can have the benefit of your research!? Have you booked yet?

I've been to Xian on a previous trip - you'll love the history of it. I actually purchased a replica of "the kneeling archer" when I was there. It's partially made out of the excavated dirt which is kinda cool I think. Anyhow... this trip we're trying to do the cruise, see shanghai, guilin, and possibly Beijing as hubby hasn't seen the wall yet. If you've booked would love to know the details... Karen

We've heard that Viking River Cruises offers the best quality, but Vantage is great too. Can't vouch for other lines

We are also interested in a Yangtze river cruise, and are trying to see if we can do a cruise before boarding the Pacific Princess on Aug 11, 2005. Because we've been to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong many times, we'd rather put our money into new experiences. So we're considering doing a combination river cruise and Xian visit on our own, flying into Wuhan and flying out of Chongquing. Right now I'm looking at the following company:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cruise/regal/yangtze-001.htm

Of course arranging on your own is somewhat risky, but a bigger problem is the weather. As FredS says, anytime in the summer is very uncomfortable in South China.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts and alll the information. We are contemplating a Pacific Princess, Pacific Theater Cruise which leaves Hawaii on May 29th, arriving in Beijing on June 24th. I would love to spend a couple of nights unwinding and then proceed to Shanghi (which we have not visited) for about a week, followed by a Yangtze cruise. We have spent considerable time in Beijing but no time in Shanghi so we have a particular prejudice.

Anyone have suggestions?

Regards,

Shannon

Thank you for alll the information you have shared on this thread.

Shannon

We are booking a 19 day "Classic China and Yangtze River" tour in Oct 2005 through Pacific Delight World Tours. The trip includes 3 or four days on the Yangtze River via Victoria Cruises. Would greatly appreciate any feedback on the tour company, the river cruise and/or travels in China.

My thanks in advance,

Ed

We took a tour in China last Sept. with China Focus that included a 4 night cruise on the Yangtze. It's a wonderful trip - very enlightening as to what's going on today. Xian with the Terracotta warriors is a highlight, Guilin and a cruise on the Li river was beautiful, the way they're modernizing the cities is amazing, and you'll love the Yangtze cruise. One day they take you up a tributary and it's beautiful. Let me know if you need more info.

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking into the 2 week Viking River Cruise for 2006 that includes Guilin. It's my husband's 50th and he has always wanted to see China. Since we have lot's of time to plan, what would be the best time of the year to go? I have read this entire thread and it seems all that have traveled have done so at difference times of the year. We are not looking to go when it's muggy and impossible to breathe. Thanks for any input offered.

Archived