Sitka/Icy Strait Point - Will I kick myself?

Breezey

So we leave in 3 weeks, booked all excursions in advance with private tour operators (thanks to all the recommendations on these boards) and decided weeks and weeks ago that we would just wander Sitka and Icy Strait Point on our own.

We are travelling with another couple who are just following our lead and I am now beginning to think I will kick myself for not having made plans for excursions there too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what to do to make the time in port meaningful (we are only in Sitka from 7am - 2pm which doesnt give us much time) and in ICP until 5pm since am pretty sure we are too late to book anything now (unless I supsect through the ship).

Tks

So we leave in 3 weeks, booked all excursions in advance with private tour operators (thanks to all the recommendations on these boards) and decided weeks and weeks ago that we would just wander Sitka and Icy Strait Point on our own.

We are travelling with another couple who are just following our lead and I am now beginning to think I will kick myself for not having made plans for excursions there too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what to do to make the time in port meaningful (we are only in Sitka from 7am - 2pm which doesnt give us much time) and in ICP until 5pm since am pretty sure we are too late to book anything now (unless I supsect through the ship).

Tks

You know, it is a matter of approach. Some people book lots of excursions in Alaska, sometimes two per port! (Yes, we did that our first few Alaska cruises.) Others like to just walk around the towns and see what is up (very touristy stuff, usually.) And still others just come for the scenery and stay aboard and enjoy the ship in the ports.

Most likely you can still book good ship's excursions in both those ports. Perhaps you can even find independent operators.

Sitka is a very nice town, and lots of people like to just walk around. Several of the attractions are within walking distance of the port if you are in good physical condition. OTOH Sitka is the preeminent port for sea otters and if that is an interest of yours, you will find the ship's Sea Otter Search to be well worth while.

ISP consists of a museum in a remodeled cannery where the ships tender in. Again, if you are in good physical shape, it is a nice one mile walk into Hoonah which is pretty much an unspoiled Alaskan village. The Office Bar is famous for its local fresh crab. It can be a very easy and relaxed day. OTOH it is a great place for bears and for whale watching if you are not getting that in other ports.

So -- you have to decide what your style is. If you are going to go home and say, "I missed all the wildlife," then you should book tours in Sitka and ISP. But if you are more laid back and will go home and say, "We had a nice walk and saw the eagles," then your plan will work.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Whichever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

I agree, Merced Mike has given you some great advice. One thought though...if you leave in three weeks, you will be there before the beginning of crab season which begins on June 1st, so crab at the Office Bar won't be a choice.

Another option is to go down the main street of Hoonah and look for the red two story buildying on the left. It's called the Galley Restaurant and you'll find incredible Halibut Pizza! A slice is literally a meal. It's not like your run of the meal pizza. It's a combination of wild Alaska halibut, a rich, creamy/cheesy sauce on crispy flat bread. When I first was encouraged to try it; I wondered about fish on a pizza. To say the halibut is sweet and not fishy is an understaterment-absolutely delicious! They also have quite a few other menu choices including great subs on homemade sub rolls! I know I sound like an advertisement, but we stayed above the Galley Restraurant in a really nice 3 bedroom apartment/suite for three nights last August and loved the food at the Galley!

Guess I got carried off, just thinking of our wonderful time in Hoonah...so back to the question at hand:

You asked about what to do in Hoonah:

When we visited for the 2nd time in 2006; we packed so much into the day that we literally didn't have time to eat. Trust me, that doesn't happen very often!

We had absolutely wonderful Whale Watching experiences and a wildlife search this last August (our third visit). On another visit an activity we really enjoyed was the Native Dance and Legends prodution (can be purchased thru the cruise line). The Tlingit culture is rich in history and tradition; and the people of Hoonah are really special! On our first visit we really enjoyed walking thru the rain forest on a very easy path that was quite level. By the way, there is a shuttle to go into town in you're not up to the 1 or possibly 1 1/2 mile walk into town. The walk is right along the water; so of course quite scenic.

OK, with all the above said; I really do feel Whale Watching is the # 1 thing to do while in Hoonah. I loved going independent because you have 6 people in the boat vs. over 100 thru the cruise line; but even thru the cruise line; you'll have an amazing experience! Whale Watching at Point Adolphus is recoginzed as the best place in Alaska (from independent sources/not just cruise related publications) to see whales. Juneau has great whale watching trips (I've done two), but betwen the two; I'd pick Hoonah for sure. The breaching/flipping/splashing down with thunderous sounds of the whale making contact with the water; it's is something I will never forget! We also did a wildlife search; and had a great encounter with a Momma Bear and 2 cubs; but in one day, I would say: Go for the whale watch!

OK, enough said: Have a wonderful time on your cruise...and I do if you decide to put your time in Icy Strait Point to good use; you'll be glad you did!

Tks

What ship are you on that is going to Sitka and Icy Point?

SEPyle - you sound like my type of person (foodie). I am crushed, no idea NO CRAB? that early. Should have paid more attention to the season, but your recommendation re halibut (which we love) is great thanks. So here's my next question, we booked whale watching in Juneau, so werent planning to go whale watching in two ports and clearly I didnt research that well enough to know that ICP had better whale watching than Juneau when we made these initial plans.

vbmom7 - We are going on the Celebrity Infinity - 11 Night Ultimate Alaska

BTW I wrote to Jim Seeland of Sitka Sound Tours and he responded immediately. He of course cannot accomodate us with such short notice but sounds like quite the gentleman and provided us with great ideas.

Tks all

SEPyle - you sound like my type of person (foodie). I am crushed, no idea NO CRAB? that early. Should have paid more attention to the season, but your recommendation re halibut (which we love) is great thanks. So here's my next question, we booked whale watching in Juneau, so werent planning to go whale watching in two ports and clearly I didnt research that well enough to know that ICP had better whale watching than Juneau when we made these initial plans.

Tks all

Breezy; Yes, I am a ‘foodie’ as I love to sample the local foods when we're in various port. That way we don't have to go back to the ship to eat and to me; it's another way of supporting the local economy! Especially in Alaska; it's a short cruising season; and our tourist dollars are important to the locals! When we visited Icy Strait on our 1st trip in May 2005 we missed the fresh crab by a couple days. In 2006 we packed so much into the day we didn't have time to eat; then this last August, we found out they only serve the fresh crab on cruise ship days. We didn't miss out completely though since the great folks at the Office had some crab on ice...and it was yummy! I’m sure they won’t have any on ice since the crab won’t be in season for your visit.

Now as far as Whale Watching goes; I will say this and some may not agree; but as I mentioned before we’ve gone out on whale watches twice in Juneau and twice in Hoonah. My recommendation: Cancel your reservation in Juneau and re-book in Icy Strait Point. Many of us have our favorites and I recommend you call the Galley Restaurant and they can connect you with great whale watching opportunities. The phone number for the Galley is 907-945-3200.

Since a pic is worth a 1000 words, I’ll attach a link to our pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TASharon1/HoonahAK?feat=directlink

Enjoy your trip, and please do me a favor. If you have the Halibut pizza at the Galley; please think of me on every bit…well, maybe that’s a bit much. Just think of me once when you’re enjoying it! By the way, there's a pic of the Halibut Pizza. The pic was actually taken the next day after I warmed it up in the oven. I don't even like re-heated pizza; but this one was delicious...I even had a piece the next day which was just as good!

I just realized an explanation may be in order. The first pics of the whales were actually taken right in the bay, right by Icy Strait Point. The amazing pics of the whales with their mouth open is actually called bubble net feeding. The next set of whales were the ones taken out at Point Adolphus; which is where you will want to go on a whale watch! It's possible to see whales in right at Icy Strait Point, but really not the norm. We were VERY fortunate!

Archived