Help - Which Travel Insurance should I buy

tammi0916

Got ours from insuremytrip this time but have used Access in the past. Just be sure to get it!!! We leave on Sunday and my mother was taken to the hospital this morning with a possible heart attack. It is comforting to know that if I can't go at least I won't lose it all. You just never know when you might need it.

I want to purchase insurance but not from Carnival I have found many site includeing insuremytripdotcom but still not sure which one to use - any suggestions?

Noteworthy coverages are indicated in bold.

· Several Policies include EXTENSION OF SCHOOL YEAR as a covered reason for cancellation: CSA, TRAVEL-INSURED

· Several policies specifically include MISSED [AIRPORT] CONNECTION coverage: CSA, PATRIOT-TRIP, TRAVEL-INSURED

· Several Policies include EMPLOYER LAYOFF as covered reason for cancellation: CSA, TRAVELEX, PATRIOT-TRIP

· Several policies cover Kids free for insured parents: TRAVELEX, TRAVEL-INSURED

· Several Policies offer CANCEL FOR BUSINESS REASONS option: CSA, TRAVELEX, TRAVEL-INSURED, AIG

· Several Policies offer CANCEL FOR ANY REASON option: CSA LUXE (100% Refund), TRAVEL-INSURED (75% Refund), AIG CRUISE (75% Refund)

· Several Policies provide 150% OF TRIP COST reimbursement for Trip Interruption which better covers Expenses AND Airline Ticket.

· Several Policies offer Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage for covered Airline flights.

· Several Policies return your premium if you cancel your cruise booking.

The CSA Policies offer “Last Minute Purchase” 20% discount for purchase 20 days before departure.

CSA FREESTYLE looks to give GOOD VALUE with much higher/better coverag (for all but Baggage Delay/Loss). The policy includes coverages for Missed Connection, Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions when purchased as late as FINAL Payment, Rental Car CDW, and AD&D Flight coverage. The premiums are lower for Seniors and quite a bit lower for Younger Travelers, but you can decrease those premiums by 20% more if you purchase your policy less than 20 days before sailing (I suspect that you lose the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions).

KEN

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question if I may. I was on insuremytrip.com and am interested in the CSA policy. When you enter the price of the trip, do you enter in the airfare price if purchased separately from the cruise or just the price of the cruise?

Thank you for your help.

Just a quick question if I may. I was on insuremytrip.com and am interested in the CSA policy. When you enter the price of the trip, do you enter in the airfare price if purchased separately from the cruise or just the price of the cruise?

Thank you for your help.

Enter the cost of everything. Air + hotels + cruise + transfers.

Thank you for your help.

Just a little more information for you: enter the total cost of all non-refundable amounts. If you didn't buy the transfer from the cruise line and plan to take a taxi, don't enter in that total you're insuring.

Also, every policy I've ever bought goes up in price at $500 increments. So, if your trip will cost $1,800, round up and insure it for $2,000.

Thank you for your help.

When I purchase my insurance (travelinsured) through insuremytrip, I entered in the exact cost of everything in my trip that I would need to be reimburded if my trip were canceled...that includes airfare, hotel, cruise, and ground transportation.

As far as I understand, your coverage is based on the minimum of your trip cost vs. what you pay to cover on your insurance...so if you insure your $2000 trip for $10000 (paying much more than you have to), you would only be eligible for $2000 worth of trip reimbursement. Conversely, if you only insure for $1000, $1000 is the *most* you would get reimbursed for.

One thing to note, with cruise lines charging different rates for kids and adults, you may want to make sure that insuremytrip (or whomever you go through) writes the coverage with differing amounts of coverage ($$ amounts) for the adults and the kids; otherwise you would be overinsuring the kids' trip, and underinsuring the adults' trip. Insuremytrip didn't allow me to specify different amounts per passenger (at least it didn't as of last week), so I had to call an insuremytrip agent to get the policy changed to reflect the differeing trip costs for the adults vs. the kids.

Archived