QV Gym

greenp

Hi, does anyone know what time the gym opens on the QV and do they have free weights ie dumb bells, also is there any machines to do resistance training (weight lifting rather than running) Thanks

Its a good gym and opens each morning at 6am. there are about fifteen running machines, numerous cycling machines, stair walkers, resistance weights and free weights.

I found it pleasant rarely crowded other than on the first few days of our 32 day cruise. Enthusiasm soon wore off and even at peak times, around 7am, I never waited for a piece of equipment for more than minutes.

Thanks for the info 'firsttimewithcunard', can you recall was there a rowing machine ?

Hope you had a great holiday. We have not been on the QV but sailed on the QM2 last year and it was Fab, tried HAL this year on the Westerdam but not upto the standard of Cunard. If you have any tips for us to get the most out of our hol please let me know. Many thanks Paul

Hi,

Just back from the 14th April crossing. QM2 gym has just one rower, a Concept machine, in good condition, but it was never in use when I wanted it. It's a lovely gym and never too busy on our T/A. Don't forget to pack some headphones so that you can use the TV/Audio on the steppers, treadmills and crosstrainers.

Gill

GreenP (fellow North Yorkshire resident).

This was our first cruise so we have nothing to compare it to directly. But it was outstanding. The food was consistently excellent, the service fantastic and there is a sense of space everywhere on the ship. We loved it. In terms of tips: because the bar prices are somewhat steep we were pleased to have packed spirits in the case and buying mixers and wine at ports saved a lot of money. we had been told that cruise ships would not allow that but this was not the case (to be fair to cunard, the spirits in the shop are very cheap and the corkage charge for drinking bottles in your cabin were only $10).

I've never heard of a corkage fee for drinking wine in cabins! Is this in fact true and if so, how is it monitored??

A corkage fee for taking a bottle to dinner, yes. I've not yet been on Cunard but am booked and have a considerable number of cruises on other lines. Just want to know the facts before boarding..........:confused:

Not for wine perhaps (we didn't buy any). But for spirits bought in the duty free shop there was a corkage charge. But even with that the prices were extremely reasonable. A litre of gin and a litre of rum, together, were just $15 with a $10 corkage per bottle, making $35 or about £25 for two litres of spirits.

I have had Champagne and Vodka which we carried on board on QM2 and consumed in the cabin, there was no corkage charge and I would object most strongly. Corkage is payable to restaurants to allow for cleaning of glasses and the service of the wine. It might also replace part of the profit they would have made selling it to you.

Archived