My Shore Excursion Plan - Stockholm

dinoman

Thank you for the information on the time for the changing of the guard. If I understand correctly, we can either "follow the band" from the Army Museum or Cavalry Barracks at around 11:35 AM, or we can wait for them to arrive at the Royal Palace at around 12:15 PM. Both sound like great options. I guess it will depend on how we're doing time-wise.

I'll be looking for your separate thread about your walk in Copenhagen. It sounds really great. My two teen-aged daughters will really love Tivoli, I know. I think we'll be doing the walk in reverse, walking from the ship to Tivoli and then taking a taxi back at the end of the day. 6 weeks to go ... :D

YES, you've got several options in order to catch the "show" as you correctly point on. It is not a little, quick thing! The band is large and the number of solders is also signficant. It was a great highlight for both the eyes and ears. We loved it! Plus, the pictures are nice and fun. Lots to see and experiences from several different angles.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowstar,

Sounds like a great plan. We are on Emerald Princess July 25 sailing from Copenhagen and will be in Stockholm on the 27th. Can you please clarify if this price is per person, or for both? If we take a cab on top of this, I assume it will be another $45 - 50 all together (from and to the ship). Correct? My TA said that this is a big city and it would be difficult to do on your own, however, after reading everyone's advise, I concluded that it's very doable, especially if the weather is nice. Any other ideas are appreciated. Helen from Los Angeles.

My TA said that this is a big city and it would be difficult to do on your own, however, after reading everyone's advise, I concluded that it's very doable, especially if the weather is nice. Any other ideas are appreciated. Helen from Los Angeles.

Hate to differ with your TA, but Stockholm is a town of 1.5 million people where most of the key and best tourist places are fairly close together. You're right! With nice weather, you can see and do lots and lots. It nice to walk there, along the watersides, seeing the interesting architecture, historic buildings, etc.

Here are a few added samples of scenes and experiences in Stockholm. Hope it brings back memories and/or gets you excited for that upcoming visit there. We had two days in Stockholm and enjoyed it greatly.

9-StockholmPalChurch.jpg

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

Older Historic City Scenes, Architecture:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

1A-Stockholm-OldCityTower.jpg

Opera House:

1A-Stockholm-OperaHouse.jpg

Vasa Ship Details on its rear side:

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipDetails.jpg

Hi, I'm from New York but have lived in Stockholm for over ten years. I would take the little ferry that goes from near the cruise ship pier over to the Vasa, if it runs that early. Just setting foot in a taxi here will set you back 45SEK (that's what the meter starts at) and the meter goes FAST. I would guess it will cost at least $20 in a cab even that short distance. The ferry is a picturesque little trip in itself. If it doesn't run that early you can always take it back. Also, there are lots of problems with cabs here that aren't official and their meters not regulated....and I would think it would be those types of cabs near the cruise ports. I would only recommend the biggest Taxi Stockholm (there is a fake one that uses some name like Taxi Stockholm Cars....adds another word on the bottom so you THINK it is the reputable company but it isn't) or Taxi Transfer or Taxi Kurir. When we take cabs here in town or at the airport we often have to walk down the line of taxis passing three or four to find a reputable company. I guess here anyone can stick a cab sign on the top of their car. Hope you have a great trip here!

Thanks for all your advices and based on that I adjusted my itineray a bit (highlighted and underlined for easy reference):

8:30am: take a taxi from the pier to Vasa Museum

9:00am-10:30am: visit Vasa

10:30am: walk or take the ferry from Vasa to Gamla Stan, visit Royal Treasury

11:00am - 11:30am: visit Royal Treasury

11:35am: changing of the guard

12:30pm: lunch at Gamla Stan

1:30pm: visit Royal Palace and Nobel Museum (if time allowed)

3:00pm: head back to the ship by taxi

The total cost in SEK of the above itinerary = 285 (345 if include Nobel Museum):

Vasa: 95

Royal Palace: 100

Royal Treasury: 90

Nobel Museum: 60

Since I changed my transporation mode from public transport to taxi and there are 3 of us in the group, therefore I might not need the Stockholm Card anymore. However does anyone know if I can buy the tickets of Vasa, Palace and Treasury well in advance on the internet?

We usually take shore excursions 'on our own' and consider the various options about getting around. In Stockholm there are several places where cruise ships dock. But invariably there is a bus stop close by. It isn't just the cost difference, but the experience of talking to the locals and bus driver if necessary. I am sure experienced travelers will agree.

When we visited Stockholm we were a long way from old town. But we took a bus (didn't have a ticket), got a free ride because the bus driver understood our predicament and we had a friendly chat while he pointed out the route.

I have had similar experiences in Puket, Thailand and in Fiji where I was sitting next to a lady who had just shopped for fresh fish and groceries. We had a good laugh, even though she did not understand half of what I said and visa versa.

So, be brave and take a ride on the wild side.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for all your advices and based on that I adjusted my itineray a bit (highlighted and underlined for easy reference):

8:30am: take a taxi from the pier to Vasa Museum

9:00am-10:30am: visit Vasa

10:30am: walk or take the ferry from Vasa to Gamla Stan, visit Royal Treasury

11:00am - 11:30am: visit Royal Treasury

11:35am: changing of the guard

12:30pm: lunch at Gamla Stan

1:30pm: visit Royal Palace and Nobel Museum (if time allowed)

3:00pm: head back to the ship by taxi

The total cost in SEK of the above itinerary = 285 (345 if include Nobel Museum):

Vasa: 95

Royal Palace: 100

Royal Treasury: 90

Nobel Museum: 60

Since I changed my transporation mode from public transport to taxi and there are 3 of us in the group, therefore I might not need the Stockholm Card anymore. However does anyone know if I can buy the tickets of Vasa, Palace and Treasury well in advance on the internet?

I set out the above plan in April before my cruise in June and now I'm back and would like to share my experience with those who are interested in following the similar itinerary:

8:00am: the ship arrived at the pier on time

8:30am: purchased a daypass from the 'Royal Sightseeing' HOHO boat (cost SEK100) at the Visitor Centre near to the pier, and took the first boat to Vasa Museum (a special direct service)

9:00am-10:40am: visited Vasa

10:40am: took the same HOHO boat from Vasa to the Espanade and walked to Gamla Stan.

11:30am: walked around Royal Palace (did not go inside), had a snack and waited for changing of the guard

12:15am: changing of the guard

1:30pm: headed back to the ship by HOHO boat

3:30pm: ship departed

It was a very easy and relaxed itinerary and I think suitable for all ages. For those who want to visit the Royal Palace there are sufficient time to do so. It was a pity that we only had only 7 hours to spend in the city and if we could have more time we would have a walk at the shopping area.

Archived