Is the Bow of the ship wheelchair accessible?

lindalans

• Administrators
I'm going on my first cruise on June 3, 2009 to Alaska aboard the Volendam. Can anyone tell me if the bow of the ship is wheelchair accessible?

We sailed on the Volendam last year and I do not believe the bow is wheelchair accessible. You reach it by flights of steps (normally crew only) from the Promenade deck, if I recall correctly. The doors out to the bow are "hatch" type doors, with a large step and raised lip at the bottom.

I looked through my photos and on webshots and did see one of the Volendam's bow doors, but I did find one on Webshots of the Statendam's bow door, which shows the same kind of door the Volendam has:

2401550560101953167S500x500Q85.jpg

We'll be on the Volendam in August, so are also interested, although not optimistic, about accessibility to the bow. On the Oosterdam, there was a high threshold that very effectively blocked any wheeler from the bow area where they served hot food when the ship was at Hubbard Glacier.

- Richard

• Administrators
We'll be on the Volendam in August, so are also interested, although not optimistic, about accessibility to the bow. On the Oosterdam, there was a high threshold that very effectively blocked any wheeler from the bow area where they served hot food when the ship was at Hubbard Glacier.

- Richard

The 2 doors to the bow area on the Volendam looked like the one I posted above. Step up, then foot high threshold to a "hatch" type door. I do not believe the bow itself is accessible to wheelchairs.

In short, the bow is NOT accessible with a wheelchair, unless there is some secret passageway that we don't know about. And we have never found a way to get a wheelchair out there; we settle on looking from the Crow's Nest:)

Very few cruise ships have passenger access to the bow for safety reasons, so your dreams of doing a Titanic scene are probably not realistic.

Many ships have an observation area that overlooks the bow, either inside (such as the Crow's Nest in most HAL ships) or from the Lido or other public decks. Wind can be a major issue in the bow anyway. Check out the ship on your first day (usually a sea day) for good viewing areas for glaciers, etc. and get there early on any day where you want to check out the views.

It does make sense that there's a high threshold and a door that can be very securely closed at the bow, as in heavy weather a lot of water could come down the halls!

Although one could imagine a ramp system that could be in place in calm seas.

- Richard

• Administrators
Very few cruise ships have passenger access to the bow for safety reasons, so your dreams of doing a Titanic scene are probably not realistic.

Many ships have an observation area that overlooks the bow, either inside (such as the Crow's Nest in most HAL ships) or from the Lido or other public decks. Wind can be a major issue in the bow anyway. Check out the ship on your first day (usually a sea day) for good viewing areas for glaciers, etc. and get there early on any day where you want to check out the views.

And some ships in Alaska permit passenger access to the normally-closed bow.

2489323650101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

Volendam in Glacier Bay, 2008

2641494160101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

Volendam during Inside Passage cruising, 2008

You can see why passengers love ships which can offer access to the bow area in Alaska. But normally the area is off limits to passengers.

The Crow's Next is a good choice for panoramic indoor viewing, but it's extremely popular on glacier days -- get there early!

Archived