Tipping automatically added?

shabri

You can prepay the tips. It's added into the cruise price and paid for before you board.

Or the tips will automatically be charged to your S&S on the ship...$10 pp/day.

$10 per person per day will be added to your Sail and Sign account ($3.50 to room steward, $5.50 to dining team, $1 to Lido buffet team). You can go to the info desk and have then adjusted up or down as you see fit. You can have them removed entirely if you prefer to tip in cash at the end of the cruise, though I don't recommend this. I always leave the auto-tip on, and usually give the room steward and wait team extra if the service warrants it (and it usually does). You can also pre-pay your tips before the cruise, though you can't adjust them if you choose this method. Of course, you can always tip additional in cash no matter what method.

Just curious....why do they put in your card? I like the idea of giving at the end of trip to the individuals? I guess when we get there, I will have them take it off the card.

Thanks

They say it's due to response on the comment cards to make it more convenient, which I'm sure there's some element of truth. It is easier to not have to worry about having the cash to tip at the end, in the right denominations, etc. I personally feel they did it because many were stiffing the crew at the end. Before they implemented autotipping, the dining room was ghost town on the last evening as people would not show up to avoid tipping.

Just curious....why do they put in your card? I like the idea of giving at the end of trip to the individuals? I guess when we get there, I will have them take it off the card.

Thanks

If you take it off the card, then you will have them asking you why, because they will have their supervisors advising them you removed the tips. Why would you remove the tips unless you are trying to tip them less than what its set up as?? Sorry, saying you are removing the tips, you will probably get lots of replies and a few flames.

Thanks

They put it on your card because it makes it easier on everybody. The giver and the getter.

My first couple of cruises after the change, I did not like it at all. I thought it was a stupid way to do things, but now, I think it is the best idea Carnival ever had.

If service is satisfactory, all is taken care of.

However, having stated my liking for it, tipping is personal, so you are free to do it however you see fit.

It is my understanding that all the Carnival-owned lines handle tipping pretty much the same. The daily amount is added to your onboard account and distributed to the staff after the cruise. They claim that this includes "behind the scenes" staff who passengers would not have access to but who, nevertheless, contribute to your cruise enjoyment.

It is further my understanding that, if you remove the auto-tips and hand out cash, two things happen. First the staffer is asked what they did to dissappoint the passenger. If you gave cash, that is a valid defense, but the cash must then be surrendered to be distributed with the rest of the pooled tips.

If you leave the auto-tips in place and add to that amount, they are allowed to keep the entire additional amount.

There are those who site studies that purport to show that something like ninety percent of those who remove the auto-tips, don't tip at all. I've never seen a reference where I could look up one of those studies, so I can't say whether that is true or not.

Given the way Carnival handles the tipping, IMNSHO, the only reason to remove or reduce the auto-tips is if your service is truly awful and you don't wish to tip at all, or tip less than the $10 per day. If you are going to tip $10 per day per person, or more, it is much better for everyone to simply leave the auto-tips in place and "sweeten the pot" for those who have given you excellent service.

Paul

Thanks,

I wasn't concerned over giving tips. We actually love to give tips-usually higher than requested-to the staff personally. We are a family of five so the kids love to give out the tips too.

I just figured if we gave it to them personally, they would get to keep it to themselves and not have to share.

I don't want anyone to think I was trying to get out of it, I just like giving it myself, to personally thank them.

Plus if you leave the tips on your S&S, and pay with a mileage earning credit card (or SeaMiles Card) you get frequent flyer miles.

Although the SeaMiles Card supposedly gets double mile for purchases on board. Anyone know if you use a Sea Miles Card to back your S&S card, if you get double miles for your entire folio?

It is further my understanding that, if you remove the auto-tips and hand out cash, two things happen. First the staffer is asked what they did to dissappoint the passenger. If you gave cash, that is a valid defense, but the cash must then be surrendered to be distributed with the rest of the pooled tips.

If you leave the auto-tips in place and add to that amount, they are allowed to keep the entire additional amount.

THERE IS NO TIP POOL ON CARNIVAL.

ANY CASH GIVEN TO STAFF IS THEIRS TO KEEP.

Cheers,

Peter

Yes, if you use your SeaMiles card to back your S&S card, you get double miles.

We leave them on. I remember the days when there were no auto-tips: it sucked! Having to scrape up the correct change on the last night of the cruise sucked. Not knowing if you had the "right" amount sucked. Auto-tipping is much better.

That said, I don't think I could remove the tips (even if just to give cash instead) because I would hate to have to look at the staff who thinks they did something wrong, who has to answer to their superiors about why cabin such-and-such removed their tips.

Eh, it's much easier to leave the auto-tips and give a little extra at the end for excellent service.

Thanks

Leave it alone as you have no idea of the size of that can of worms! Just give them a few dollars extra at the end if it makes you feel better.

Archived