B&B in Southampton and London

Nalla

I am looking for a B&B in Southampton for 2 nights stay the last 2 days of May, before the NCL Jade sails. Can anyone recommend one which is near the city center? I've looked online, but they don't sort by location and I am concerned that they may be too far out for walking.

Will also need one in London on June 13, when we return since our flight back home is on June 14 pm. In London I like to stay near the Paddington tube stop because getting around is so convenient from there, but it doesn't have to be there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

B&B is a pretty loose term interpreted many ways so it might be worth clarifying what you expect by citing B&B.

If you're looking for a cheap accommodation then the ETAP hotel quite close to all the cruise terminals, walking distance of some is going to be cheaper than any B&B. Its a brand new no frills hotel run by the French chain, Accor.

In Central London, B&B is usually code for cheap hotel. The very few like the Luna & Simone that are family run, with high standards and personal attention are around 100 GBP or more, probably more costly than a chain hotel with breakfast. Otherwise B&B's are just cheap hotels, many of dubious standards. The best value are opposite Kings Cross Station where there are some quite good ones with rooms about 60-65 GBP, ensuite with breakfast for a double. Try Crestfield, Montana Excel, Alhumbra, Meridiana and Wardonia.

Based on prior positive reviews I booked the Hunter's Lodge in Southampton this summer for my family group. I haven't stayed there yet so I can't give you first hand report but they have been superb regarding communication and confirmation

Hi Nalia,

For Southampton, Handfordr's suggestion of Etap is fine. Also Jury's Inn or Novotel, or for something a little less bland and rather more British, the Dolphin or the Star, all in broadly the same price-range, all easy walking to the town centre (centred on Above Bar), all a short taxi ride from all cruise terminals. Avoid Premier Inns, in a poor & inconvenient part of town, avoid Hilton & Holiday Inn Express - way out on the edge of town.

If you want to consider other options try googlemaps for their location, or ask here about any specific hotel. You could also try

www.visit-southampton.co.uk

Regards

John Bull

Hi Ray66. The Dolphin. I've only been in there for a drink. Nice interesting place, fine-looking building, super location, inexpensive, and as I said not the usual bland what-country-are-we-in? chain hotel

But yes, I've now also checked out other reviews. Let's be charitable & call them "mixed"!! Guess I'll stick to drinking in there.

Regards, John Bull

Archived