How should lines compensate Mexico travelers?

What should cruise lines offer Mexico passengers? (Choose all that apply.)  

4,447 members have voted

1. 1. What should cruise lines offer Mexico passengers? (Choose all that apply.)

• Easy rebooking options (for those who haven’t sailed yet).
    • No-penalty cancellation options (for those who haven’t sailed yet).
    • Shipboard credit (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • Open bars onboard (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • Full or partial refunds (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • Credit toward a future cruise (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • None of the above.
    • Something else, which I'll post.

You are correct. I think all of those cruise lines knew that they were going to cancel, Royal Caribbean included. They all made changes at the same time, what a coincidence! It's just plain bad business. We aren't complaining about a cancellation for a hurricane. They made the decision to cancel eventhough the conditions in Mexico had not changed from the time the ships left port until they announced that the screwing would commence! This is plain bad, unethical behavior. Why stop in Ensenada? Was it safer than Cabo or Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta? Why stop in Cabo and then not complete the other stops. There is more screaming about this than there would be about a hurricane change because most people are rational. This move by the cruise ship companies ain't passing the smell test. To call the people who speak out whiners is just the reason that companies get away with this b.s. Speak up for yourself. This is just about getting what you paid for, and riding a ship in the icy chilly waters instead of the Mexican Riviera ain't what we paid for.

I opted not to board an NCL cruise out of LA today. Bottom line...NCL Pearl was in Mexico for one stop last week...if crew were ashore and had any contact with the flu the possibility exists they would not be sick until tomorrow (Monday...our first day at sea). In effect, until we know none of the crew have acquired the flu, boarding the Pearl is the same as non-essential travel to Mexico which we have all been cautioned to avoid.The published medical literature confirms that the flu spreads easily in confined communities like cruise ships and is difficult to supress merely by cleaning. As the primary exposure risk for passengers is NCL's own crew and given the unknowns re this flu I am of the view NCL should have permitted me to credit the value of this cruise toward another cruise...NCL's position is I get no consideration of any kind. In trying to sort this out NCL staff repeatedly told me the Pearl made no stops in Mexico (blatantly false), at one point said they would permit some change (but subsequently recanted) and generally took the position they could only talk to my travel agent (when was the last time you heard of an airline saying they could not deal with your reservation because a travel agent booked it...never!). NCL apparently has something called the 'resolution desk' for managing complaints...but get this...passengers are not actually permitted to talk to anyone in the resolution office...they rule on your issue without ever talking to you! NCL may be the poster child for poor customer service practices.

I was aboard the Carnival Splendor that embarked 4/26/09 to the Mexican Riviera. On 4/26/09 I called Carnival to see if they would allow me to cancel my cruise and get a refund or credits towards a future cruise. Carnival said no to both. Carnival advised that all ports would be open and we would make stops at all three Mexican ports since there were not reported cases of swine flu in the riviera ports.

Obviously once aboard, things changed.

I was happy to find out that Carnival would let us off the ship in Long Beach instead of having to sail to San Fransisco then back to Long Beach.

I was dissapointed to say the least by Carnival's lack of answers aboard the ship. The Pursars office was staffed by folks that were very poorly trained in customer service. I was speaking with one representative aboard the ship when I was interrupted by another who pulled out a piece of paper with CCL's policy and she then asked me if I could read....

I then asked to speak with the Chief Pursar who spoke to me in an angry tone and used many fist gestures very close to my face.

Once back in Long Beach, then home to Los Angeles I made calls to Carnival and Hotwire (my booking agent) and was advised that Carnival wasn't offering anything to compensate those aboard Carnival Splendor's 4/26/09 cruising. I then asked about filing a claim with Hotwire's insurance (which I purchased) and they said they weren't sure if this was covered by the insurance.

I am in the process of writing a letter to snail mail over to both Carnival and Hotwire. Up until this point Carnival's customer service both aboard the ship and through their toll free number have been terrible. I haven't even been offered a $10 (ten) OBC, and my wife and I both got off the ship 4/29/09 at approx 10 AM, rather than 5/3/09.

I understand that Carnival Cruise Lines is not at fault for the Swine Flu that has already reached our shores here in the US, but I blame them for poor customer service, and lack of options to us before we boarded the ship. They should have offered us more options when I called before I boarded on the 26th, especially since there was no significant change in the CDC's travel advisory from the 26th to the 29th or even until today.

Had the CDC MANDATED a travel restriction whilst in the middle of the cruise, that's one thing. The travel advisory that was issued from the CDC is the same today as it was on the 26th.

To date, there are more reported cases of the Swine Flu in the State of California than there are in Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

I am a little confused about how Carnival made the choice not to stop in the Riviera, but rather chose to stop in San Fransisco when there are REPORTED CASES of Swine Flu in San Fransisco...

I am dissapointed - to say the least.

Enzo

I am scheduled to go on the Carnival Splendor on May 10 and the itinerary has been changed from a Mexican cruise to a Canadian sailing. Carnival has offered a cruise credit but not a refund. However, they are violating the terms of thier cruise guaranty pertaing to their port cancelation policy which states that "if Carnival has adequate notice that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will notify guests of the change and shall offer guests an opportunity to canel their booking without penalty".

According to this policy I should be given the choice to either receive a refund for the money paid or to rebook the same cruise and not have to incur any additional expenses. Carnival has stated that if the price is different on the future cruise that I must pay any difference in price. Their action is clearly a violation of their stated policy since if the cruise fare increases, a penalty would indeed be incurred, violating the terms of thier policy.

I believe this is a violation of their policy and am proposing a class action lawsuit be filed against Carnival for total deception and fraud.

I would much rather see some positive solutions from CCL than to get involved in a lawsuit of any kind.

It doesn't seem like there will be any compensation or credits offered by Carnival.... under any circumstances.

At the very least we can judge what cruise lines to travel with in the future based on their response to this situation and many unhappy customers.

I was also on the Splendor that sailed on April 26th. While I understand this was out of CCL's control they certainly could have done more to assist passengers who were already on board. I'm glad we didn't go to Mexico and weren't placed at risk. But to know so many other passengers had the option to rebook, receive a future credit on a cruise, or received an onboard credit is really infuriating. I would have left in long beach if any sort of refund was offered. Yes, we did get a vacation but had we known it was going to a cold port we would have canceled or gotten off immediately if we could have gotten any sort of credit. Our waiter was sick for 3 days and when he returned he was pale and still looked sick. I felt very badly for him but couldn't help but wonder what he had and why is he still serving food! We spent more money than we would have staying on board for the extra days and their open bar was a joke! We got one drink with a ridiculous wait in line and our server told us they didn't have mojitos. Funny, I paid for mojitos all damn week. We were repeatedly told our ports of call didn't have any outbreaks and none of the crew was sick but then we were sent to a port with documented outbreaks? I am a long time carnival cruiser(50+) and have been on cruises with disasters, outbreaks etc. But they truly blew it on this one and the customer service people at CCL were terrible. They need to offer a future credit to those who sailed and the option to cancel to those who are supposed to sail. The numbers of sick people will rise and everyone should be given the option not to sail with a refund or credit. We weren't. I feel the worst for the crew. People should not take it out on them for bad service. I overtipped our waiter because I know so many people took their tips back. I'm sure they lost 50% of their wages and they work like dogs. Who knows what my poor waiter had. If anyone who sailed has a contact address or person to address to send a letter, I'd love to have it. Thanks!!

I am scheduled to go on the Carnival Splendor on May 10 and the itinerary has been changed from a Mexican cruise to a Canadian sailing. Carnival has offered a cruise credit but not a refund. However, they are violating the terms of thier cruise guaranty pertaing to their port cancelation policy which states that "if Carnival has adequate notice that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will notify guests of the change and shall offer guests an opportunity to canel their booking without penalty".

According to this policy I should be given the choice to either receive a refund for the money paid or to rebook the same cruise and not have to incur any additional expenses. Carnival has stated that if the price is different on the future cruise that I must pay any difference in price. Their action is clearly a violation of their stated policy since if the cruise fare increases, a penalty would indeed be incurred, violating the terms of thier policy.

I believe this is a violation of their policy and am proposing a class action lawsuit be filed against Carnival for total deception and fraud.

I don't see you challage a violation of contract (which is clearly an interpretation issue) with a bonafide violation of contract.

Let me direct you to article 13...

13. CLASS ACTION WAIVER

THIS CONTRACT PROVIDES FOR THE EXCLUSIVE RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES THROUGH INDIVIDUAL LEGAL ACTION ON GUEST’S OWN BEHALF INSTEAD OF THROUGH ANY CLASS ACTION. EVEN IF THE APPLICABLE LAW PROVIDES OTHERWISE, GUEST AGREES THAT ANY ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER WHATSOEVER SHALL BE LITIGATED BY GUEST INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND GUEST EXPRESSLY AGREES TO WAIVE ANY LAW ENTITLING GUEST TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. IF GUEST’S CLAIM IS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION UNDER CLAUSE 12 (d) ABOVE, THE ARBITRATOR SHALL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO ARBITRATE CLAIMS ON A CLASS ACTION BASIS. GUEST AGREES THAT THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE SEVERABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

FROM THE ARBITRATION CLAUSE SET FORTH IN SECTION 12 (d) ABOVE, AND IF FOR ANY REASON THIS CLASS ACTION WAIVER IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO ANY PARTICULAR CLAIM, THEN AND ONLY THEN SUCH CLAIM SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION.

Just got back from the 4/26 Mariner of the Seas Cruise. We got an onboard credit which was nice but the cruise itself was not pleasant. 2 days at sea with 40-50 MPH winds no-one ventured out. 1 day in San Francisco in the rain and a return day at sea in fog so thick you could barely see the water from the ship. Not their fault but a lot of money spent for not much of a vacation.

I don't see you challage a violation of contract (which is clearly an interpretation issue) with a bonafide violation of contract.

Let me direct you to article 13...

13. CLASS ACTION WAIVER

THIS CONTRACT PROVIDES FOR THE EXCLUSIVE RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES THROUGH INDIVIDUAL LEGAL ACTION ON GUEST’S OWN BEHALF INSTEAD OF THROUGH ANY CLASS ACTION. EVEN IF THE APPLICABLE LAW PROVIDES OTHERWISE, GUEST AGREES THAT ANY ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER WHATSOEVER SHALL BE LITIGATED BY GUEST INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND GUEST EXPRESSLY AGREES TO WAIVE ANY LAW ENTITLING GUEST TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. IF GUEST’S CLAIM IS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION UNDER CLAUSE 12 (d) ABOVE, THE ARBITRATOR SHALL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO ARBITRATE CLAIMS ON A CLASS ACTION BASIS. GUEST AGREES THAT THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE SEVERABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

FROM THE ARBITRATION CLAUSE SET FORTH IN SECTION 12 (d) ABOVE, AND IF FOR ANY REASON THIS CLASS ACTION WAIVER IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO ANY PARTICULAR CLAIM, THEN AND ONLY THEN SUCH CLAIM SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION.

just because something is in the contract doesn't mean a court will enforce it. Class action lawsuit save courts time and expense so they are favored by the courts(its called judicial economy)....choice of law and venue provisions do get enforced. Also many times all you need to do is make a complaint with your state's attorney general. The Attorney generals which enforce consumer protection laws are NOT bound by the terms of the contract.

IMHO and we all no what opinions are like...

We are booked on an upcoming cruise to Mexico, we live in California so it is an easy port but we don't have the choices like the east coast.

I fully realize the dilemma everyone is in and it is a tough call.

It is easy for those who are not going to Mexico and that do not have their plans disrupted totally to voice their call. Maybe they would think differently if it truly affected (not make believe) them, there pocketbook and most importantly what they where expecting when they purchased their cruise...

Many on these Mexican cruises are from California, why would we want to take a ship and visit the city we live in or go somewhere cold and rainy when we ordered and paid for hot and dry? I can drive to San Francisco, Seattle and BC with little effort and take my coats and rain gear with me.

Those who are going have made plans for whatever reason to go on this cruise. Be it a once in a lifetime cruise, a cruise to go to nice warm weather after a harsh cold winter, family gatherings, the list is endless but it is special to all that booked...

We have had several cruises we had booked in the past month just disappear and rebook in Europe or wherever and the cruise lines did not even notify anyone, we had to find out on our own, honestly that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. All in the cause of "we can change our ports whenever we want" per the new contracts.

Granted, the cruise lines when confronted with the whole past Fuel Surcharge thing toughened up their cruise policy's, mostly to their great advantage.

They are in the Travel industry and for the most part do that very well. IMHO when something goes wrong they leave the customer hanging quite often. This is not their fault but most times they take advantage of a poor situation and us it to their advantage and leave the customer hanging.

I am not sure what the answer is but I know that those that are affected (not those not affected) take it very personal.

I think that what Carnival is doing is very admirable and the right thing to do. Look at when 911 happened, the industry (airlines, cruise lines, etc.) took it upon themselves to do the right thing, they let there customers make the choice best for them and cancel if desired.

I know in my business if we didn't do what is right to the customer then we would loose that customer, and end of story.

I feel the cruise lines should make concessions be it cancel with no penalties, hefty OBC's (they get them back anyway), future cruise credits or all the above. It will pay off in the long run when they get it back with satisfied customers. Yes I am one of those who believe in "just compensation" when you don't get what you paid for, sold on, no matter who's at fault.

I also realize the cruise line are in business to satisfy the customers wishes and wants, they do a good job of that. When these things happen they need to suck it up and do the best they can to give that customer what they asked for and purchased. That holds true no matter what business your in...

If they screw me I will not come back, if they compromise then they will have a loyal customer forever.

The "cheapest customer" a business can have is a happy customer, they don't have to put any money or effort into me for marketing or anything, I will just be there...

That's all I have to say and sorry if I offended anyone's opinions. That's what this thread is about...

Just got back from the 4/26 Mariner of the Seas Cruise. We got an onboard credit which was nice but the cruise itself was not pleasant. 2 days at sea with 40-50 MPH winds no-one ventured out. 1 day in San Francisco in the rain and a return day at sea in fog so thick you could barely see the water from the ship. Not their fault but a lot of money spent for not much of a vacation.

I guess that's the difference between Carnival Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean. Carnival refused to even discount drinks to its CAPTIVE AUDIENCE let alone give any sort of credits for future sailings or otherwise.

When we headed back to California at the ship's top speed (22 knots) it was windy and the seas were rough, everything in the room was rocking. I am only glad I got off the ship in Long Beach and did not continue the horrid trek into SAN FRAN where it was raining and sloppy. I got to salvage some of my vacation on my own in SoCal where the weather was a little nicer.

I am dissapointed to say the least at the lack of customer service or CARE shown by Carnival Cruise Lines. I guess that the attitude you can have when you own soo many of the cruise lines out there.

Depending on the response I get back from Carnival Cruise Lines, I will never sail on COSTA, HOLLAND, CARNIVAL, CUNARD, P&O, SEABOURN, IBERO, PRINCESS, or AIDA all part of CARNIVAL CORP.

At lease we know that Royal Caribbean made some kind of an attempt to help it's customers in the way of credits...

I just read on Carnival's website that my cruise on June 14th is officially being re-routed to Canada!!! Under the "details" there is a letter that specifically states "if this itinerary change is not acceptable to you we will provide a future cruise credit in the amount paid for this cruise" blah blah blah then it informs me "please understand that refunds will not be provided"!!!! I am so appalled right now I can barely think to write but this is a good venting option so I will continue....I agree with finucane that unless this directly affects you what you say you would do and what you would do are not the same. First off, as I have said in posts before this is for my son and his girlfriends graduation (ie starting a whole new chapter in their lives, moving on, etc...etc...) they are both starting college, how and when am I to find a week grant you a week that you can't work around weekends etc in which they are both available again to do this? They will be in school they have jobs that they are committed to? I just don't see how it will be possible in the near future now I understand that Carnival is giving me until December of 2010 but then I guess that kinda defeats the whole graduation gift now doesn't it. Secondly, if I am only given credit in the amount I paid on a future cruise and the cruise I re-book is more I now have to come up with more money? What if I can't, I imagine they don't care because they already have thousands of my dollars!!!!!! I am quite frankly tired of reading from people that think that I should be happy with whatever I get and where ever I end up because I think if the situation were reversed you would have a few issues.... I know that it isn't the cruise lines fault that this outbreak has happened but it is their fault at how they have chose to handle it and their customers...and if they lose millions of dollars because of this it's their own fault!

I just read on Carnival's website that my cruise on June 14th is officially being re-routed to Canada!!! Under the "details" there is a letter that specifically states "if this itinerary change is not acceptable to you we will provide a future cruise credit in the amount paid for this cruise" blah blah blah then it informs me "please understand that refunds will not be provided"!!!! I am so appalled right now I can barely think to write but this is a good venting option so I will continue....I agree with finucane that unless this directly affects you what you say you would do and what you would do are not the same. First off, as I have said in posts before this is for my son and his girlfriends graduation (ie starting a whole new chapter in their lives, moving on, etc...etc...) they are both starting college, how and when am I to find a week grant you a week that you can't work around weekends etc in which they are both available again to do this? They will be in school they have jobs that they are committed to? I just don't see how it will be possible in the near future now I understand that Carnival is giving me until December of 2010 but then I guess that kinda defeats the whole graduation gift now doesn't it. Secondly, if I am only given credit in the amount I paid on a future cruise and the cruise I re-book is more I now have to come up with more money? What if I can't, I imagine they don't care because they already have thousands of my dollars!!!!!! I am quite frankly tired of reading from people that think that I should be happy with whatever I get and where ever I end up because I think if the situation were reversed you would have a few issues.... I know that it isn't the cruise lines fault that this outbreak has happened but it is their fault at how they have chose to handle it and their customers...and if they lose millions of dollars because of this it's their own fault!

Yep, and it is not our fault either, it's nobody's fault but they (the cruise lines) seem to believe they have the cards in their hands, they do but so do you... I have another saying, "you'll get me once but never twice"!

Worst case? Take the cruise credit, it seems like a fare compromise at this stage... Or hang in there and work with them, hopefully they will work with you.

Good luck,

Flames are only that, flames on paper, nothing more...:eek:

blnord, sorry to hear your itinerary will be affected as well. Is it possible to find a different itinerary for the same week? I know it's not what you want, but you do have quite a while to use the credit for another cruise that may be suitable for all of you. I just rebooked my cruise today. Sorry this has happened and hope it all works out for you.

Thanks everyone, right now I am just going to see what I can book between July and August before the kids start school, if it gets too screwy because Im sure that there are a ton of people trying to do the same my son may just have to miss out but we'll try to work with the options we have. The worst part is knowing that I will be paying for this with interest on my credit card if we cannot find something that works schedule wise before 12/10, it hurts to pay for something not knowing when you will get the benefit of it....

Thanks everyone, right now I am just going to see what I can book between July and August before the kids start school, if it gets too screwy because Im sure that there are a ton of people trying to do the same my son may just have to miss out but we'll try to work with the options we have. The worst part is knowing that I will be paying for this with interest on my credit card if we cannot find something that works schedule wise before 12/10, it hurts to pay for something not knowing when you will get the benefit of it....

FYI:

Not sure what you paid for your cabins but you may be able to beat Carnival at their own game by getting a lower price on the June 21st or June 28th sailings plus get an onboard credit to boot. You could have them apply any left over funds to your sail & sign account for use for any of your onboard charges. Check out the summer sailings at *****.com for Splendor.

Im definately hoping that that is the case, I can't use the *****.com site though I have to book through Carnival or my travel agent I guess. Im hoping that they don't raise all their prices to recoup some of this money that they say they are losing...

While many major airlines (Delta, Continental, United, US Airways, American, Aeromexico and Air Canada, among others) have relaxed cancellation policies in response to the swine flu outbreak, Carnival has been the only cruise line -- so far -- to say it will offer rebooking assistance to those affected by canceled port calls in Mexico. While we wait to see if other lines will weigh in with their own offers, we’d like to know: What do you think the cruise lines should do for passengers on affected sailings? Take our poll and be sure to post your opinion!

Here is my answer...We sailed on the Carnival Ecstasy on 4-27 and we were told that if Cozumel and Progresso cancelled due to the Flu that Carnival already had a backup plan and would sail to another port of Carnivals choosing.Well,The stops were cancelled and we stopped approximately 15 hours from Progresso.Our new port of call was....Turning around and going back to Galveston. Thank you carnival for lying to my family! But we really loved the new entertainment for the next 2 days..A 3rd hairy chest competition,Napkin folding classes and MORE BINGO..WOO-HOO...Please! This cruiseline should do SOMETHING! Maybe a saving on a future cruise???

Im definately hoping that that is the case, I can't use the *****.com site though I have to book through Carnival or my travel agent I guess. Im hoping that they don't raise all their prices to recoup some of this money that they say they are losing...

You can get the onboard credit at the carnival web site as well or get a lower fare if you are over 55.

Todaty,We returned from our 16 day Panama Canal Sailing, which was a disaster!

Once the swine flu affected the ship by missing 4 mexican ports, and in turn HAL (Westerdam) decided that we would stop in Guatamala and back trac to Nicaraga. I have read that Carnival were applying 100. per person on board credit, we did not get any compensation. THE DISEMBARKATION WAS THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.

I will be contacting the HAL office in the near future.

Last week when all this started I called Carnival and wanted to rebook my cruise on the Splendor May 31st. They said no, so I waited. Then it happened and me and a thousand other people were calling. I was able to rebook out of Galveston with a balcony but it is $450 more in part because the Missouri discount would not be honored for some reason. Last week I could have had a suite for the same price. At least my airline, Southwest cares about their customers. I changed my flights and also get a credit.

Carnival is going to have a lot of ships empty (those going north) and others will be full (those going south). I would bet the prices of those going south are going to go way up. Ok, I am done complaining I am happy to be going south.

Cindy

I was on the Mariner 4/26/09 sailing.

If you look at the date of this RCI press release from their website, it is AFTER we set sail on the 26th but BEFORE we arrived in Cabo on Tuesday the 28th.

Please pay careful attention to the parts that I highlighted in RED.

Royal Caribbean International

Swine Flu Statement

April 27, 2009

We've been closely monitoring all developments regarding the Swine Flu, to help ensure the health and well-being of our guests and crew members.

Health authorities from a variety of nations are investigating the situation and we remain keenly attuned to their progress. We maintain close working relationships with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and our industry association, and we're working in close coordination with them.

It is important to note that health authorities have not raised concerns regarding the ports of call we visit in Mexico. None of our sailings have been altered and none are scheduled to be.

Our ships visiting Mexico are taking pro-active measures, such as:

• Placing a notice in the daily, onboard newsletter to provide our guests with basic information regarding this matter.
  • Placing a letter, along with a fact sheet from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in each guest stateroom
  • Providing hand sanitizers throughout the ship.
  • And, conducting enhanced sanitizing of all high-touch areas.

We're also asking guests to follow the advice of medical experts regarding the best ways to help prevent flu and other illnesses:

• Washing hands thoroughly with soap and hot water - often.
  • Covering the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
  • Putting used tissues in waste baskets.
  • If tissues are not available, coughing or sneezing into upper sleeves, not one's hands.

Like our guests, we take all health matters seriously and we'll continue to closely follow all developments regarding the Swine Flu. Additional information regarding Swine Flu is available at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website: www.cdc.gov

The part that is in red is exactly what the Captain announced at the muster drill and he continued to tell us during his many announcements, until we got back ON the ship in Cabo on the 28th. That is when we were told that we wouldn't be going to PV or Mazatlan due to the CDC's recommendation.

But here is the word from the CDC on Monday 2/27:

Monday April 27, 2009

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is now recommending that US travelers avoid non-essential travel to Mexico. The recommendation comes after forty cases of swine flu were confirmed in the United States, though all cases in the US so far have been relatively mild, unlike in Mexico where some 150 people have died from the illness.

Of all the other cruise lines that were scheduled to do the Cabo, PV, Mazatlan itinerary, NONE went to any Mexican ports, except the Mariner and the Carnival Splendor, which both stopped in Cabo.

The reason Carnival stopped there was to take a woman off the ship who needed an emergency operation. But they did not allow anybody else off the ship and immediately left. But the Mariner DID stop and let all the passengers get off the ship from 10:00 am to 5:30 pm in Cabo.

So if RC was supposedly "working in close coordination" with the CDC like they said they were, why did they IGNORE the CDC's recommendation on 4/27 and let passengers get off in Cabo on the 28th???

NONE of the other cruise lines ignored the CDC recommendation on the 27th!!! :mad:

We booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire Princess leaving on Saturday 2nd May - we have cruised Princess on several occasions, they are our cruise line of choice.

Due to the outbreak of 'Swine Flu' it is understandable and only responsible that they should alter the itinerary of the cruise. However, we would never have booked a cruise with the ports of call being San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara - especially not at this time of year when the weather is questionable and cool weather is the norm. This is our first vacation in 3 years and we booked a warm and sunny cruise, regardless of circumstances this is not what we are being offered - as their official statement reads 'these passengers are not receiving the cruise vacation they had anticipated'. I personally would not have had a problem with a ‘cruise to nowhere’ as long as the weather was good.

Having spoken to several representatives of the company we understand that there are no real alternative options for customers, they either take the cruise or lose their money. I appreciate that Princess has been put in this position through no fault of its own, but also understand the position their customers now find themselves in. My wife and I had no urge to take a cruise with the alternative itinerary (or weather) and subsequently cancelled our trip, if we lose our vacation and the funds we have paid Princess then regrettably so be it, but they will have lost repeat customers and we will not consider cruising with them again in the future.

The offer of a 50% discount on our NEXT Princess cruise is very poor and all but irrelevant, as previously mentioned and due to the apparent lack of loyalty to their customers, if this is their line of action we will not cruise with them again. I am also somewhat confused and a little incensed when their owner company (Carnival) are offering impacted customers a rebooking option, a cruise credit or money back. Kudos to them.

Being a business owner myself I would encourage all cruise lines to make an opportunity out of an adverse situation, especially during these difficult economic times - do right by your customers, lead the pack and reap the benefits. The alternative is bad press, dissatisfied customers and loss of future business.

NONE of the other cruise lines ignored the CDC recommendation on the 27th!!! :mad:

Did RCCL's decision to allow people ashore in Cabo cause an abnormally high number of people to get sick or die? I don't see your problem here. Hindsight being 20/20, I do question Carnival's decision to disembark a sick passenger as most of the swine flue related deaths have been the result of other underlying medical conditions. But she it appears she's OK too.

In both cases I'm in the "No Blood-no-Foul" camp.

Archived