Please help - need tips for Alaskan cruise next week

tampagirl2

My boyfriend's mother and her husband are going on an Alaskan cruise next week. I normally research my trips for months. She has just asked me to research her cruise for tips on excursions, etc. (very little notice!) So sorry for the general question, but looking for tips or good websites for some advice.

They don't want to pay for a lot of excursions. They are in their 60s and don't want to do a TON of walking. She says there are supposed to be beautiful gardens in one of the ports, but she's not sure which. She would also like to have lunch in a cute village?? I know she likes to shop, so any good advice on that would be great.

These are her ports:

Juneau 12-9pm

Hubbard Glacier Cruising 1-6pm

Sitka 8-5pm

Ketchikan 7-1pm

Victoria 6pm - 11:59pm

Thank you for any help/advice you can give!

Victoria has Butchart Gardens -- world famous. I think EVERY cruise line has a "Butchart Gardens" shore excursion. Given the short amt of time in Victoria, if they REALLY want to go to Butchart, they should probably spend the $$$ for the shore ex thru the ship.

Juneau is a good place to book a whale watch, if that is their sort of thing. Or take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. Not sure how much the shuttle costs.

Sitka has a bus system that you can use all day for one price. Google it for more info, if you can't find it on this forum.

There's also a thread in this forum somewhere (fairly recent) about "Alaska on a budget".

Hope this is enough info to at least get you started :D

In Juneau you Rent a Wreck will pick you up at the port and take you to their office to rent a car for the day. The name is only a name. They rent decent cars. the one I am renting is 57.00 for the day. That opens up Mendenhall Glacier, all of downt town, the island across from town, Glacier gardens for just a few more dollars. A great fairly cheap day. Ketchikan has a walkable creek street with a lot of shopping and history or for around 40.00 each you can get a tour of the town. Tomen bite is a interesting museum of totem pole carving.

In Juneau you Rent a Wreck will pick you up at the port and take you to their office to rent a car for the day. The name is only a name. They rent decent cars. the one I am renting is 57.00 for the day. That opens up Mendenhall Glacier, all of downt town, the island across from town, Glacier gardens for just a few more dollars. A great fairly cheap day. Ketchikan has a walkable creek street with a lot of shopping and history or for around 40.00 each you can get a tour of the town. Tomen bite is a interesting museum of totem pole carving.

Not sure this poster has even been to Alaska, but you do NOT want a car for downtown Juneau, parking is very limited. Glacier Gardens, will NOT be flowering in their timeframe, possible even some snow, on the upper areas.

Totem Bight is NOT a museum or has totem carving. It's a state park, with totems and a clan house. It can be gotten to via tour, or city bus independently. Print out the totem guide and take it with you.

There are hundreds of tour choices. In my opinion, your parents would GREATLY benefit from looking over a shore excursion list and narrowing down their interests. Then repost their top selections for more detailed information.

Shopping is available in all Alaska ports.

Butchart Gardens, would be the "garden" choice here, and the ship tour, necessary, with such a short port time.

They don't want to pay for a lot of excursions. They are in their 60s and don't want to do a TON of walking. She says there are supposed to be beautiful gardens in one of the ports, but she's not sure which. She would also like to have lunch in a cute village?? I know she likes to shop, so any good advice on that would be great.

These are her ports:

Juneau 12-9pm

Personally I would recommend they do some kind of whale watching tour while in Juneau. Well worth any money they will spend (imho).

Sitka 8-5pm

Ketchikan 7-1pm

Ketchikan is a very easy port to walk around, with Creek Street being a beautiful easy walk very close to the ships, lots of totem poles everywhere around town, Totem Heritage Center a few blocks away and lots of shopping for cheap souvenirs of stuff made in china (didn't stop any of the ladies in our group from having a ton of fun buying the trinkets in the books - full of coupons - they give you). There is also expensive stuff for sale everywhere to entertain you if you like. (some of it was worth shipping home)

This is probably the port she heard has a beautiful garden (Butchart Gardens). I don't know how late they are open but they do have lights for after dark viewing.

Just do a google on the different ports including interest at each stop. This will help give you a lot of information on things in each port that might be of interest to them and in their budget. Then you can ask specific questions and get a lot more help from the posters here. Hope this helps a little and Good luck, earl

My boyfriend's mother and her husband are going on an Alaskan cruise next week. I normally research my trips for months. She has just asked me to research her cruise for tips on excursions, etc. (very little notice!) So sorry for the general question, but looking for tips or good websites for some advice.

These are her ports:

Juneau 12-9pm

Sitka 8-5pm

Ketchikan 7-1pm

Thank you for any help/advice you can give!

Everyone already told you about Butchart Gardens in Victoria. Ketchikan has Creek Street for shopping (and not a lot of walking); I remember getting a decent lunch in a cafe there. They might also want to check out Ketchikan Taxicab Tours (ketchikantaxicabtours do com), which would personalize her time there.

Juneau is great for whale watching. Harv and Marv seem to get the best reviews on the boards here, but there are certainly other worthwhile options.

Archived