Mid-70's in Alaska Today

DizzyDallasDi

I just checked the weather in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan and all 3 are reporting temps in the mid-70's and sunny skies. I'll bet the folks that live there are all enjoying the fabulous day! I'm not sure I want it that warm when I'm there but sunny skies would be perfect.

Diane

I just checked the weather in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan and all 3 are reporting temps in the mid-70's and sunny skies. I'll bet the folks that live there are all enjoying the fabulous day! I'm not sure I want it that warm when I'm there but sunny skies would be perfect.

Diane

Believe it was 2006 when unusually dry, warm and there was problem with bush/grassland fires in populated areas. With early warm weather now there will probably be heavy snow melt runoff and the glacier bays likely will have lots of floats impeding close cruise ship approach. Happy Cruising but be prepared.

Believe it was 2006 when unusually dry, warm and there was problem with bush/grassland fires in populated areas. With early warm weather now there will probably be heavy snow melt runoff and the glacier bays likely will have lots of floats impeding close cruise ship approach. Happy Cruising but be prepared.

Good point, that is exactly why I booked the Glacier Bay route. Tracy Arm is just too uncertain.

That is so amazing! I know this sounds insane but I'm hoping it's colder when we visit at the end of May! Looking forward to a chill from three digit heat in Arizona, which is supposed to start next week--yikes!

Happy cruising and thanks for sharing!

VB1

Yes, you've never seen so much pale, pasty flesh in your life. Spent the day out cleaning trash from the channel islands outside of Juneau so that they'll be pristine for all of you on whale watching trips. :D No, seriously, keeping the water and beaches clean for our animal friends.

Besides all the loose tires and Styrofoam, we ran across many sunbathers, nobody completely naked, thank goodness, but close.

And during the workweek, everyone was in Hawaiian shirts. Thank goodness rain is forecast for Monday, or we'll all go mad!

That is so amazing! I know this sounds insane but I'm hoping it's colder when we visit at the end of May! Looking forward to a chill from three digit heat in Arizona, which is supposed to start next week--yikes!

VB1

I am right there with ya! Looks like things will be cooling off again next week. Anything over about 65 is really pushing it. Looked at a webcam from the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center and it doesn't look like the high temps are doing much for the snow pack. What an awesome sight to see snow in May. Can't wait! Bring on the cool temps!

VB1

We are with you! Live in Tucson! We sail May 23rd, wouldn't it be something if, after packing layers and layers (with a warm coat) that they hit 80 degrees:(...ah, 50 and 60's would be nice. Guess my sense of humor is really warped. :D happynewbie

Our home in Chugiak hit 75 degrees at 4pm. We raked the yard of dead winter grass and leaves while two neighbors actually mowed their lawns. I think we really want the good weather to be here at last.

My wife was out in Prince William Sound and Blackstone Bay on a small boat cruise with a group of school kids and she said it was spectacular.

We are with you! Live in Tucson! We sail May 23rd, wouldn't it be something if, after packing layers and layers (with a warm coat) that they hit 80 degrees:(...ah, 50 and 60's would be nice. Guess my sense of humor is really warped. :D happynewbie

Bite your tongue. That would really tick me off if it hit 80 degrees. I'm packing jeans and summer tops with a light waterproof jacket over. None of this sweater and heavy coat business. DM will probably be miserable. I'll be loving it!

Aweninaz, would you mind posting the link you have for the Mendenhall Cam? The only one I have is a shot taken mid april...I really love checking out the webcams. Do you have Anchorage? On clear days you can see Denali.

Thanks

jayne

Bite your tongue. That would really tick me off if it hit 80 degrees. I'm packing jeans and summer tops with a light waterproof jacket over. None of this sweater and heavy coat business. DM will probably be miserable. I'll be loving it!

Okay, okay I bit my tongue and it is bleeding...just kidding! I'm re-thinking my packing:D happynewbie

You all be happy to know it's back down into the 50's and raining on and off. :D

The 50's would be fine with me but I'm still saying my prayers each night for no rain. I know, it's a lot to ask for. But if my prayers are answered and there are sunny skies in Alaska during the last week of May, I'll bet you'll love it as much as me. ;)

Diane

The 50's would be fine with me but I'm still saying my prayers each night for no rain. I know, it's a lot to ask for. But if my prayers are answered and there are sunny skies in Alaska during the last week of May, I'll bet you'll love it as much as me. ;)

Diane

I'm also saying my prayers for no rain that week. Let's hope and pray they are answered. I can deal with the cooler temp but not wet and cool. :rolleyes:

Archived