Key west aquarium

Cruisin 3

Anybody try the Key West Aquarium? We just got word that we aren't going to Cozumel due to the infamous Swine Flu:rolleyes: and have been rerouted to Key West. The aquarium sounds cool but would anyone recomend this over everything else or is it just so so?

The Key West aquarium is not that great. It is small and does not have a wide variety of animals. There is an outdoor shark tank, but it consists of a gate going across a small inlet from Key West Harbor. Often, the water is not clear enough to see what's in it.

Bottom line, I don't recommend it. I suggest taking a look at the Conch Train tour.

Cruisin3 - We went there in January, it was ok. Not really that big, but if you have younger children, I'm sure they would like it. They do have an area that has different types of things like starfish, conch, etc., that you can actually reach in the water and pick them up if you want. They will let you also touch a baby shark. Like someone else stated, the outside area where the sharks are, you can't hardly seem them as the water isn't very clear. Rather than the Conch Train, I would suggest taking the Trolley. We felt it was well worth the money and it has numerous stops along the whole island that you can get on and off at and you can actually ride this all day long. The driver who is like a guide will tell you all kinds of things about Key West and you will be given a map to let you know what is around at each of the different stops. With the Conch Train, you will just ride around once (not getting off), for apprx. 1 hour and then that is the end of it. We felt the Trolley was much better, but that is just our opinion. We actually got a package deal that included the Trolley, the Aquarium and the Pirate Museum (which we thought was really lame!). Key West is a really nice place, at least we thought so. I really surprised me. Hope this info helps.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

The aquarium is right by where the ship docks (or by where our ship docked, anyway, so if you get there and don't like it, you can always move right on to something else and wouldn't really waste a lot of your time there. The conch train and the trolley board right there next to the aquarium. I had a great time on the trolley while I was there.

The aquarium is rather small, but if you take the guided tour (they're given several times a day) it's quite interesting and informative, and you get to touch some of the animals, such as a shark. You can also leave and return, if that fits in with your schedule.

Archived