How to get Best Hotel Deal in Vancouver?

Yes, you can bid as a Canadian. I've used it numerous times.

Just make sure you read the information on www.betterbidding.com to understand how to do re-bids.

ell

Thanks.

I want to plunge now, I'm so excited. Like a little teenager...

I have look the demo but I'm not sure about the part of Vancouver I want to go. There are the district and downtown. Which one is best?

Charlot7:

You should bid for "Downtown Vancouver". Have you decided what star (*) level you are bidding for? The best deals seem to be happening at the 4* level.

Yes, I want to bid on 4* level.

Wish me goog lock for my first time bidding !

Yes, you can bid as a Canadian. I've used it numerous times.

Just make sure you read the information on www.betterbidding.com to understand how to do re-bids.

ell

Hi it's me again,

I read on the Priceline that the Visa Canadian credit Card is not accepted.

Some wrote that we have to give a US Address ?

Could you tell me what did you do, given that you used it many times?

Hi it's me again,

I read on the Priceline that the Visa Canadian credit Card is not accepted.

Some wrote that we have to give a US Address ?

Could you tell me what did you do, given that you used it many times?

A non-US address should NOT be a problem any more. (The old work-around was to use "CA" as the state and 99999 as the zip code. But the last few times, I've used my regular Canadian address.)

Not sure about a Canadian Visa card. I always use my Master Card, but I'm pretty sure I read on Better Bidding that someone used their Cdn Visa card successfully.

Yes, I want to bid on 4* level.

Wish me goog lock for my first time bidding !

Good Luck Charlot! Sorry I wasn't able to get back on here to help you, but I see you got some Canadian help which is better (I didn't know those answers).

Make sure you let us know how you did!

:D

I got an email from Fairmont as well as I member of their frequent flyer plan but the CDN rate was $139 and it was for specific dates and none were the dates I wanted.

However I did just get the Marriott Renaissance Harbourside for $75 (US) on Priceline.com .... so my need is looked after. On the weekend I will call and request, an accessible with a view. LOL

Hi:

I need to find a hotel in Vancouver for 1 nite after the cruise and I am

single and price is important.

Could you tell me how you got the Renaissance Harbourside? Did they just give you that one or did you ask for it. I have never used priceline. I'm kind of scared of having to pay and then finding out where your hotel is.

Any help or information would be great. I have been told to get a place near Canada Place (the port and downtown I guess).

Thanks,

Marianne

9/12/09 is date needed.

Charlot, how did you do? Did you manage to enter your address and credit card information?

ell

Please Ell52 or Overtime4me2,

I went to bid but I am so nervous that I don't know what to do.

Since I am not too good in english I'm not sure that I understant well.

I went on the '' Bid '' place.

I enter Information like : city, then Downtown, then number of stars, then 3 rooms, and name of 3 party (mine, and 2 others).

Then they asked to put my address and credit card number and click on ? (don't remember the term...) and they will tell if I win by bid or not.

But I never saw the place where I am supposed to ''name 3 hotel'' then the '' source of Website'' and all other question that Candice 333 has written :

candide333

Bidding for Vancouver 4*

Lead

[-]

[/url]

(06/13/09 4:07 PM)

· More

o My Recent Posts

o Message Me

o Connection

o Blocking

o Invite

Tags : None

This is the first time I am bidding. I would like to stay at the Pan Pacific. Please give me guidelines and what amount should I bid with first?

Here is my info:

1) Vancouver

2) Downtown

3) Checkin September 18

4) Checkout September 20

5) 1 Room

6) 4 Stars

7) Marriott Pinnacle $249

Sheraton Wall $259

Pan Pacific $261

8) marriott.com

www.starwoodhotels.com

www2.panpacific.com

9) Downtown, Surry, North Vancouver, Barnaby

10) Maximum $110

11) Yes

12) Yes

13) Yes

So maybe I was at the wrong place, so I close the window...

I thought I will do it tonight but I think I will have to wait that some expert like you help me....

Please....

Charlot

Hi:

I need to find a hotel in Vancouver for 1 nite after the cruise and I am

single and price is important.

Could you tell me how you got the Renaissance Harbourside? Did they just give you that one or did you ask for it. I have never used priceline. I'm kind of scared of having to pay and then finding out where your hotel is.

Any help or information would be great. I have been told to get a place near Canada Place (the port and downtown I guess).

Thanks,

Marianne

9/12/09 is date needed.

Marianne, it was just the luck of the draw when biding on Priceline. I would agree with the advice you have received re staying downtown which will put you close to most things including the pier. When biding on Priceline, you go to the biding screen, then check off Downtown-Vancouver, then check off 3.5+* and start biding at about $65 or $70. All hotels in the downtown area at this level are in safe, convenient locations and with the exception of the Westin-Bayshore all will be within a $10 cab ride of the piers...with the Bayshore add $3 to $5 to that number. By September 12th the Alaska cruise season is winding down and there should be even some better deals available on Priceline.

P

I went on the '' Bid '' place....

....9) Downtown, Surry, North Vancouver, Barnaby

You do not want to be entering Surrey, North Vancouver or Burnaby here. This could potentially get you a hotel 20 miles from downtown (and the cruise terminal). Restrict your bidding to DOWNTOWN only, or if you really must, you could add the 'CITY HALL' area.

Please Ell52 or Overtime4me2,

I went on the '' Bid '' place.

I enter Information like : city, then Downtown, then number of stars, then 3 rooms, and name of 3 party (mine, and 2 others).

Then they asked to put my address and credit card number and click on ? (don't remember the term...) and they will tell if I win by bid or not.

But I never saw the place where I am supposed to ''name 3 hotel'' then the '' source of Website'' and all other question that Candice 333 has written :

<SNIP>

So maybe I was at the wrong place, so I close the window...

I thought I will do it tonight but I think I will have to wait that some expert like you help me....

Charlot

Okay, now I understand why you are confused. The information that Candice333 listed is what the Bidding For Travel website asks for. The "name 3 hotels" and "source of website" is NOT what Priceline needs. Again, you do NOT give this information to Priceline.

I understand why it's difficult to understand the Bidding For Travel instructions, if your English is not good. It's difficult to understand even with good English!

I don't know how much more help I can be, but I will try.

From what you say, you have done everything correctly so far:

1. Choose "Downtown"

2. Choose 4*

3. Name price (this is price per 1 room only)

4. Names of people in party

5. Verify information

6. Enter credit card information

Last step is to finalize bid and wait to see if it is accepted.

Tips:

1. Decide what will be your Maximum bid (e.g. $90).

2. Find your re-bid zones:

- On the Priceline page,"Step 1", click on one (1) zone at a time and watch the area below that shows the star levels.

- If you click on Downtown, it will show all star levels available. However, if you click North Vancouver only, it shows 1 and 2* hotels only. Therefore, North Vancouver will be one of your re-bid zones. The other zone is Langley at the moment.

IMPORTANT: These re-bid zones may change at any time, so it's important that you check every single time you bid to make sure they haven't changed!

3. Start your bid low enough to allow for a couple of re-bids before you hit your maximum.

Just a word of warning, it might be difficult to get 3 rooms at the same time.

Charlot, I'm not sure if this is enough help. Since this is a Cruise site, I don't know how much more the moderators will allow us to continue.

I see that you have already posted at the BetterBidding.com site. They are very helpful there. You might even ask if someone in the Canada section could explain things to you "en Francais" as lots of bids go through for Montreal and Quebec.

If you'd like, you can email me at nelle_50 @ hotmail dot com and I can help walk you through it step by step.

Ell

You do not want to be entering Surrey, North Vancouver or Burnaby here. This could potentially get you a hotel 20 miles from downtown (and the cruise terminal). Restrict your bidding to DOWNTOWN only, or if you really must, you could add the 'CITY HALL' area.

Scott, these are potential re-bid zones (though Surrey and Burnaby, currently, are not). Re-bidding is an important part of using Priceline to its max. Adding City Hall is not necessary, if Charlot really wants to stay downtown. I think the real problem is his lack of fluency in English.

Hello everyone,

Here is my final word for all the questions I had posted here for Hotel in Vancouver.

I made my first bid tonight in Downtown zone at 85 $ for the 3 rooms August 22. It was rejected.

I re-bid and add Langley Zone with 90 $ and it was accepted.

I have got Delta Vancouver Suite Hotel, of course I was hoping to get another hotel but I think for my first time, I am pretty happy.

Thanks to everyone who help me, + special thanks to Ell52.

Now I will return on the Alaska Thread for my cruise coming soon, August 23 with Celebrity Mercury.

Wish you all nice trip this summer.

Charlot

Scott, these are potential re-bid zones (though Surrey and Burnaby, currently, are not). Re-bidding is an important part of using Priceline to its max. Adding City Hall is not necessary, if Charlot really wants to stay downtown. I think the real problem is his lack of fluency in English.

Adding Surrey and Burnaby as rebid zones could end you up with a hotel 20 miles from downtown, the tourist areas, and the cruise terminal. I'll stand by my comment to NOT add those zones.

Just bid, if it fails, come back tomorrow and bid $4 more.... Most people are dealing with this at least a month out.

The fact that you place a bid in Langley scares me a bit....but I am glad you got the Delta Suites, I have a number of friends who stay there regularly and like it a lot.

Adding Surrey and Burnaby as rebid zones could end you up with a hotel 20 miles from downtown, the tourist areas, and the cruise terminal. I'll stand by my comment to NOT add those zones.

Just bid, if it fails, come back tomorrow and bid $4 more.... Most people are dealing with this at least a month out.

This is a common strategy for rebidding on a 4 star downtown zone hotel. If the first bid is not accepted, the bidder adds another zone where a 4 star hotel is not offered. If Priceline does not offer a 4 star hotel in the other zone, there is no risk that the bid will be accepted in that zone. This essentially allows them to rebid instantly on a 4 star downtown hotel.

Of course, it is up to the bidder to make sure there is not a hotel with a 4 star rating in the added zone. I have seen people make that mistake.

This is a common strategy for rebidding on a 4 star downtown zone hotel. If the first bid is not accepted, the bidder adds another zone where a 4 star hotel is not offered. If Priceline does not offer a 4 star hotel in the other zone, there is no risk that the bid will be accepted in that zone. This essentially allows them to rebid instantly on a 4 star downtown hotel.

Of course, it is up to the bidder to make sure there is not a hotel with a 4 star rating in the added zone. I have seen people make that mistake.

Good thought but as you correctly point out if there is a 4* hotel in the added district then you would be hooped plus I am always suspicious of who makes the 4* rating judgments...in one review you will see a hotel rated as a 3* and in another a 4*. In this case Langley is some 30 to 45 mins east of the city and would be at least a $50 or $60 cab fare from the airport and then again from hotel to pier. So I would be very cautious about giving this kind of advice as people very seldom know the market when bidding for a hotel room ...they are viistors.

Good thought but as you correctly point out if there is a 4* hotel in the added district then you would be hooped plus I am always suspicious of who makes the 4* rating judgments...in one review you will see a hotel rated as a 3* and in another a 4*. In this case Langley is some 30 to 45 mins east of the city and would be at least a $50 or $60 cab fare from the airport and then again from hotel to pier. So I would be very cautious about giving this kind of advice as people very seldom know the market when bidding for a hotel room ...they are viistors.

There is no mystery involved. It's a matter of doing your homework. Priceline has 8 zones in Vancouver. It offers 4 star hotels in 2 of them (Downtown and Airport). A bidder can add any zone other than the airport on a 4 star downtown hotel bid and know that they are only bidding on the downtown zone.

This is a well researched method of bidding designed to help the visitor who is looking for a good price on a hotel room. More information is available at the 2 message boards that deal with Priceline bidding. They provide a wealth of infomation about bidding strategies much like Cruise Critic helps those with cruise information. The same advice applies to Cruise Critic members and Priceline bidders - do your homework and ask questions if you are unsure of anything.

Archived