African American Hair

vrog33

Trixiegal,

My hair and my skin behave very well in the Caribbean...actually better than at home. I don't know why but my cuticles actually cooperate out to sea. Maybe it's the moisture in the air? I'd try to rock your own hair...it's so much easier than trying to blend a half wig with the natural texture of your hair....plus I don't know how many cruises you have been on but if you walk around in the evening...with that wind you get sometimes..I think it would be difficult to disguise.

My cousin got a wet and wavy sew in before her cruise but it drove her crazy. When she came back home it was gone. She said she took it out in the middle of the cruise.

What is your hair texture? 3c 4a 4b 4c?

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Trixiegal,

My hair and my skin behave very well in the Caribbean...actually better than at home. I don't know why but my cuticles actually cooperate out to sea. Maybe it's the moisture in the air? I'd try to rock your own hair...it's so much easier than trying to blend a half wig with the natural texture of your hair....plus I don't know how many cruises you have been on but if you walk around in the evening...with that wind you get sometimes..I think it would be difficult to disguise.

My cousin got a wet and wavy sew in before her cruise but it drove her crazy. When she came back home it was gone. She said she took it out in the middle of the cruise.

What is your hair texture? 3c 4a 4b 4c?

Thanks for your advice. I don't have much choice now because I sail in 2days (!!!) and I'm not up to searching all the beauty supply stores looking for a better match. I don't really like the whole hair typing thing because I have 3 or 4 textures but I'd say my hair is a mix of 4's with most of the thickness and kinkiness at the middle crown. So it shrinks up and frizzes out in humid climates. I lived in Florida for 5 years, I've been to the Caribbean several times and on a few cruises. I usually don't do anything o my hair and end up with pics with it pulled back. I think I'm going to experiment with the new products I bought and try to wear it out or up in a high bun with scarves. I also have a few cute straw fedoras I can throw on.

I can relate to your cousin. I paid hundreds of $ for a long human hair weave back in the Janet Jackson wet and wavy look days for a trip to Jamaica. LOL. Well, as soon as I jumped in the sea off a catamaran in Ochos Rios it clumped up and matted. I had only been there a day or two! We all tried combing through it with a bottle of conditioner but it was useless. I ended up cutting it out. No more sew ins for me!

Thanks for your advice. I don't have much choice now because I sail in 2days (!!!) and I'm not up to searching all the beauty supply stores looking for a better match. I don't really like the whole hair typing thing because I have 3 or 4 textures but I'd say my hair is a mix of 4's with most of the thickness and kinkiness at the middle crown. So it shrinks up and frizzes out in humid climates. I lived in Florida for 5 years, I've been to the Caribbean several times and on a few cruises. I usually don't do anything o my hair and end up with pics with it pulled back. I think I'm going to experiment with the new products I bought and try to wear it out or up in a high bun with scarves. I also have a few cute straw fedoras I can throw on.

I can relate to your cousin. I paid hundreds of $ for a long human hair weave back in the Janet Jackson wet and wavy look days for a trip to Jamaica. LOL. Well, as soon as I jumped in the sea off a catamaran in Ochos Rios it clumped up and matted. I had only been there a day or two! We all tried combing through it with a bottle of conditioner but it was useless. I ended up cutting it out. No more sew ins for me!

Well dang! LOL Thanks for giving the real deal! I'm getting a sew-in Saturday as a test run for embarkation wedding in Miami. Towards the end of this trial, I will experiment to see how it acts at the beach, etc. As a newbie to all this, buying and researching hair brands and wave patterns is a pain.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

Just an FYI, if the hair was 100% human hair, it wouldn't clump up to the point of no return like that. Sounds like you had a synthetic/human hair blend. A lot of beauty supply stores market those blends as human hair, smh. Do you remember how much you paid for the hair?

I currently have a sew-in in my head...I've been using the same hair since December and it still looks pretty great.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376709240.585167.jpg.c2a0c87abe5d3ba41f7ccbf6a853a530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lexi I was thinking the same thing. Human hair sheds but will not clump/mat/tangle that horribly bcuz of swimming. There was something not right with that hair.

We're talking about 1994. I envy you ladies that wear them now because the hair is so much nicer these days. Yes, that hair was no good. I went back and got it redone but, of course, it wasn't as nice in my mind. The experience just stick with me and I never want to relive it. In all honesty, I'm very low-key when it comes to doing my own hair so I admire people that spend hours perfecting their look. I'm all about the wash'n'go unless I need it done at a salon for an event.

No probs! Your hair is gorgeous in the photo, too.

Where should I buy nice quality blonde hair extensions. The color is always an issue for me.

Thank you! And I agree with MaraBerk, that's the best way to guarantee it matches your hair color. Try queenvirginremy [dot] com. They have great, unprocessed hair for great prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have a question for the experts in here!

I'm getting my kinky twists in this upcoming weekend and this will be the first time I've had in extensions. My cruise is about 4 weeks after I get it in (my birthday is in two weeks, so killing two birds with one stone!).

Now, I do go to the gym about 2-3 times a week so I'm wondering about good ways to help preserve it so it doesn't look bad by the time the cruise rolls around.

Thanks in advance for all tips and suggestions! :D I'm so excited to see how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

The hair quality was amazing. I installed it 5 times & had it tightened each time. This was not my everyday weave lol I got this hair for my wedding & made sure I got my wear out of it. I would only spend that much on hair again if I went back to the same stylist! Price of hair+installation+tip = appx $1,950. After the wedding my husband found the invoice & almost passed out lol That was an investment for sure smh

• 2 weeks later...

I too am an african american and looking for styles to wear on my cruise. i have natural hair also. i never had braids before and needed to know do they hurt? I was thinking of getting a wavy shoulder length weeve. i just want low maintaince at whichever i choose. any suggestions. haiti. jamica and cozumel in nov 2013. can't wait. yes this is my first cruise.

I too am an african american and looking for styles to wear on my cruise. i have natural hair also. i never had braids before and needed to know do they hurt? I was thinking of getting a wavy shoulder length weeve. i just want low maintaince at whichever i choose. any suggestions. haiti. jamica and cozumel in nov 2013. can't wait. yes this is my first cruise.

I am tender headed so braids absolutely hurt, but that doesn't mean I don't get them done. I cringe & suffer through the pain.

Honestly I would suggest all natural women to wear their own hair because its easier to maintain if you plan on swimming.

If that isnt an option for you I'd choose weave over braids always.

Enjoy your trip!

Honestly I would suggest all natural women to wear their own hair because its easier to maintain if you plan on swimming.

Enjoy your trip!

I totally agree! I'm recently natural with 3b/3c hair and I'm super excited about not having to worry about my hair.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am tender headed so braids absolutely hurt, but that doesn't mean I don't get them done. I cringe & suffer through the pain.

If that isnt an option for you I'd choose weave over braids always.

Enjoy your trip!

Agreed. It might seem like less maintenance with the weave but it actually ends up being just as much work since you have to constantly worry about blending (or looking crazy). I've seen a lot of wayward weaves on cruises. :)

I wore box braids for a good 8-10 years straight (not the same ones obviously lol). I'm not tenderheaded and they always hurt when they first braided them in. In my own personal experience, if I didn't feel anything the braids always came out pretty quick. The feeling usually subsided little by little over 48 hours time at the most, usually less than that. Braids have always held up well for me on my Jamaica vactions.

Funny I didn't get to the hairdresser this weekend asplanned so I dug out old faithful - Miss Jessie's curly pudding :p and considered just going with that instead of getting a weave for the cruise. We'll see :)

Edited by wannago35

• 3 weeks later...