African American Hair

vrog33

Okay so I decided to do a weave for the cruise after all. Got the Milky Way human hair brazillian wet/wavy. Wearing it in bun for embarkation and will take it down a few days later. My question is what should I wash this hair with, anything in particular? What should I put on it (something not too expensive cuz I'm taking it out a few weeks after we return) to make it look shiny/healthy when I style it for elegant nights? I'm not a hair person so any advice is appreciated and thanks!

• 10 months later...

Hi Ladies! I'm reviving this thread again!

I'm heading to the DR with my husband in a few weeks. I want to get a weave, probably wet and wavy since I love swimming. I tend to wear wigs and ponytails, but I need a break from those for a bit. I like the idea of wearing it long...maybe a few inches past my shoulders. Any suggestions on a brand of human hair? I've visited a couple shops and I stand there with my eyes glazed over because of all the options. If I can find the hair online, even better. Help! :o:)

Edited by Host Faith

I am so glad I found this thread! I have natural hair(4A) and

I plan on getting either box braids or Senegalese twists

for my cruise. My hair has been extremely dry this

summer in NYC, I can only imagine how bad it will look

in the Bahamas with the heat.

I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

Any other advice and hairstyles plz?

Go natural

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Ladies! I'm reviving this thread again!

I'm heading to the DR with my husband in a few weeks. I want to get a weave, probably wet and wavy since I love swimming. I tend to wear wigs and ponytails, but I need a break from those for a bit. I like the idea of wearing it long...maybe a few inches past my shoulders. Any suggestions on a brand of human hair? I've visited a couple shops and I stand there with my eyes glazed over because of all the options. If I can find the hair online, even better. Help! :o:)

I've been wearing Boheyme egyptian wave. Holds a curl, can flat iron it and when wet waves. min shedding

• 2 months later...

I am leaving Sunday on my 1st Cruise with my hubby and I am taking out my hair tonight. I have a straight weave in. I've decieded to just go with my hair because we went to Puerto Rico last November and I spent $1000 on my Curly hair from Sassy Mitchell and it did not do well with swimming in the ocean. I braided it up and put it up in a bun and when I went to wash my hair the hair was matted. Though it combed out with conditioner, I did not like the fact that it matted. it is beautiful hair and does not shed, mat, or tangle but swimming is a diff story. It is good quality human hair but the curly version and swimming does not work.

My natural hair is pretty long up to my bra and thick too, I will wear it straight for the first 2 days and then wear it wavy with some leave-in conditioner for the remaining days as I love to get in the water and swim and do activities.

The same thing happened to me in Jamaica many years ago with human hair. It was a disaster. The salt water destroys it and makes it mat and tangle. I learned my lesson not to bother with anything other than clip-on extensions on vacation. The upside is the cruise water is so soft so my natural hair behaves and has less frizz and poufiness.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got back from the Dominican Republic and I had a weave. I used Bobbi Boss hair. I swam in the ocean every day and just used conditioner in my hair when I got back to the room. It stayed soft and silky. The issue was when I got home and actually used shampoo on my own hair. It was hard to keep the shampoo off the weave, and all of a sudden my hair became really matted.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got back from the Dominican Republic and I had a weave. I used Bobbi Boss hair. I swam in the ocean every day and just used conditioner in my hair when I got back to the room. It stayed soft and silky. The issue was when I got home and actually used shampoo on my own hair. It was hard to keep the shampoo off the weave, and all of a sudden my hair became really matted.

Hey Chrystal! Haven't seen you in a while. :D

Guess I'll throw my two cents in.

I mostly wear braids but have worn a sew in since the spring, including on my cruise last month. My preferred hair is Malaysian hair. It's naturally wavy so after swimming or washing, I can let it air dry and it looks like it's been curled. My stylist is awesome and it held up really well. The only thing that didn't hold up so well is my color. This was my first time with red ombre and highlights and I was not expecting it to fade as much as it did! The dye bled on my pillowcase, my white purse strap, etc. I used a shampoo recommended by my stylist called hair one from Sally's, which is specially for color treated hair. I love my sew in but it was a pain to have to wash, blow dry, and curl it almost every night. I missed having low maintenance braids but loved having long, flowy hair. :o

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Chrystal! Haven't seen you in a while. :D

Guess I'll throw my two cents in.

I mostly wear braids but have worn a sew in since the spring, including on my cruise last month. My preferred hair is Malaysian hair. It's naturally wavy so after swimming or washing, I can let it air dry and it looks like it's been curled. My stylist is awesome and it held up really well. The only thing that didn't hold up so well is my color. This was my first time with red ombre and highlights and I was not expecting it to fade as much as it did! The dye bled on my pillowcase, my white purse strap, etc. I used a shampoo recommended by my stylist called hair one from Sally's, which is specially for color treated hair. I love my sew in but it was a pain to have to wash, blow dry, and curl it almost every night. I missed having low maintenance braids but loved having long, flowy hair. :o

Hey Kim! I hope you're having a great holiday season!

I feel the same way. I love having a low-maintenance style, but adore having long, flowy hair. The things we do to look good, lol!

• 3 weeks later...

I have never seen any hair of any kind that didn't look dropdead classy with a french braid. If you practice before you go, you can do it in a few minutes.

Tuck it under in the evening like a chignon, and put a hair ornament in it. Very nice!

Hey Kim! I hope you're having a great holiday season!

I feel the same way. I love having a low-maintenance style, but adore having long, flowy hair. The things we do to look good, lol!

You said it ALL right there...I hate having to mess with my hair when I am vacationing but I really like wearing it down...that is not an option for me though as I've been through having to get it done on a ship (when we did Dunns River Falls, rain all day on tour, etc) not a good thing to have to do. so I usually go with Braids or Twists in the front with a Pony Tail and lately I have been taking a couple of wigs with me.

Alas, it will always be something that must be thought out carefully...:o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ladies! I just read this whole thread and learned so much! Thank you so much for sharing all of this info.

But I do have a question... I'm a braid newbie and I'm relaxed with bra strap length hair. For those of you that had crochet braids with synthetic hair, can your hair get totally submerged in water without totally going to hale when you come out? I am looking at crochet or tree braids and want to use deep wave (or loose deep) braiding hair to get bra strap length curls. Not sure if this hair will hold up if I go snorkeling or when going on the water slide. And I also definitely need to wash my scalp after doing all this so I'm scared to pay someone a bunch of money and have it look like crap after getting doused. I am looking at getting it installed the week before my cruise.

Also which is the better braiding hair to buy for this purpose? Outre Batik deep wave, Freetress Deep wave or Model Model Deep wave?

Hi ladies! I just read this whole thread and learned so much! Thank you so much for sharing all of this info.

But I do have a question... I'm a braid newbie and I'm relaxed with bra strap length hair. For those of you that had crochet braids with synthetic hair, can your hair get totally submerged in water without totally going to hale when you come out? I am looking at crochet or tree braids and want to use deep wave (or loose deep) braiding hair to get bra strap length curls. Not sure if this hair will hold up if I go snorkeling or when going on the water slide. And I also definitely need to wash my scalp after doing all this so I'm scared to pay someone a bunch of money and have it look like crap after getting doused. I am looking at getting it installed the week before my cruise.

Also which is the better braiding hair to buy for this purpose? Outre Batik deep wave, Freetress Deep wave or Model Model Deep wave?

My preference is Model Model...I don't like freetress and I've never tried outré.

I love crochet braids, but I've never smudged my head underwater in them. I've done the pool, but had them pulled up and they barely got wet. Getting to your scalp is easy, no issue there. I'd imagine if you just washed your scap and didn't interrup the hair you'd still look good once they're dry. Model Model takes conditioner really well. I always prewash my hair before installations.

I've used Freetress Deep Twists with much success, including getting my hair completely drenched climbing Dunns River Falls. I'll put it into a high ponytail anytime I would be in the water. Afterwards I use a 2 in 1 product (currently have some type of Pantene shampoo/conditioner combo). I don't have the bottle in front of me and I can't remember which one I have. :) The deep twists seem to hold up through anything.:D I've never had any issues with with this hair and plan to use it on upcoming cruises.

I installed a different Freetress product with more of a curly pattern (I think it was Go Go Curl), as opposed to a wave pattern and that wasn't quite as user friendly. Fortunately I didn't wear that for vacation becuase I did have tangling issues post shampoo.

I don't know what to do with my hair. My husband and I are cruising on March 21st. My hair is natural and mid-back length (probably longer since my last blow-out last year). I thought about cornrowing it for swimming and wigging it for formal and casual events (It's a business/leisure cross for my husband). But then again, I'll want to slick it back and bun it and wash and go it a few times.

Help!!! LOL (I'm 3c/4a by the way)

Edited by CraftyScribbles

I don't know what to do with my hair. My husband and I are cruising on March 21st. My hair is natural and mid-back length (probably longer since my last blow-out last year). I thought about cornrowing it for swimming and wigging it for formal and casual events (It's a business/leisure cross for my husband). But then again, I'll want to slick it back and bun it and wash and go it a few times.

Help!!! LOL (I'm 3c/4a by the way)

I usually wash & go on vacation this is easiest for me. I can condition and treat my hair from sun, salt water, & whatever else I might come in contact with. For formal nights I'll do an updo of some sort (bun etc)

• 2 months later...

My hair is relaxed and shoulder length. I wash and condition it after swimming and wrap it. I usually wear a ponytail or let it hang straight. I bump the ends for evenings. Sometimes I'll put on a wig.

Edited by cruznjan

For my scheduled trips, I try to have my hair in box braids since it easier to tie up /style plus the hair dyers on cruise ships I'm on call dried them well. Otherwise, I have my hair hotcombed straight and if I have a last-minute trip, hopefully my hair won't go puffy when I put swimming cap on. I usually use Blue Magic Tea Leaf or Carrot oil conditioner when its in braids and Coconut or Super Gro when its hotcombed.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Those ship salons are too expensive for me.

Yeah, that's why I put my hair for my scheduled trip(s) in braids now - Might be $100 plus hair and tips for 2-3 months in my hair, but at least I won't be paying $300-500 for the week at the ship's salon. :eek: