Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi Dubrovnik lady,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your advice througout this thread. I have managed to read over half of it I think so far.

There are 4 of us arriving in port on Voyager on 17th August. I checked a few weeks ago and there are about 3 ships that day, totally around 8,500 passengers.

My plan is to walk the wall and go in the cable car. Do you think this will be enough? How would you recommend to do it all as I know both will get busy. As there is 4 of us will it be cheaper to get a taxi into the town? And where should we get the taxi too?

Thanks in advance, I apologise as I know you have answered similar questions lots.

Voyager and Celebrity arrive in port at the same time. Did you notice the typo showing both ships at berth 12? Just outside the main exit, furthest from the bridge, will be a line of taxis waiting. Cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will take Euros.

You can walk the wall first, cost is 70 Croatian Kuna, no Euros, Dollars or Pounds. Use any ATM machine for Kuna, it is the very best exchange rate here. If you exit the wall at the Ploce exit, just after the old port viewpoint, you will be closest to the cable car entrance. Specific directions are on this post somewhere, keep reading.

Total cruise passengers should only be about 6,800 but we will still have plenty of land guests here. It's August, the old town is crowded!

Try to find the Rupe Museum, it is so worth the effort. I was there yesterday with a friend and it is my top site in the old town. Three floors of our historical cultural and the old stone building is cool and comfy in the heat of August.

If you decide to buy anything, do not waste your money on shops on the main drag. Use the side streets for gelato, souvenirs, coffee and lunch. If you want to learn more about Dubrovnik, do read my blog. As a Croatian/American who has chosen to retire here, it is how I see Dubrovnik, a work of art!

Dubrovnik Lady,

We were there about 5 years ago and there was a place where you could take about an hour boat ride around a little island. We had the boat to ourselves and it was wonderful. Do you know if those guys are still there giving boat rides? Thank you!

Dubrovnik Lady,

We were there about 5 years ago and there was a place where you could take about an hour boat ride around a little island. We had the boat to ourselves and it was wonderful. Do you know if those guys are still there giving boat rides? Thank you!

Before I venture an answer, please do give me a bit more information. Did you take this small boat trip from our old port which is located right in the old town area or was it from the big harbor where the large cruise ships dock?

Was the island close to the old town, very green and lush and close to the old town? Do you remember if the name was Lokrum, which you can see from my photo below?

Most importantly what date will you be here?

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dubrovnik Travel Lady, we have returned from our cruise on Oriana and I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed our day in Dubrovnik. We used your directions to find the cable car and enjoyed stunning views from the top of it.

I think Dubvrovnik is one of my favourite cruise ports, and I hope to visit again sometime in the future.

Thanks again for all your help on this forum.

Dubrovnik Travel Lady, we have returned from our cruise on Oriana and I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed our day in Dubrovnik. We used your directions to find the cable car and enjoyed stunning views from the top of it.

I think Dubvrovnik is one of my favourite cruise ports, and I hope to visit again sometime in the future.

Thanks again for all your help on this forum.

Thank you. I do so enjoy hearing some feedback and it's nice to know that others can see the beauty of Dubrovnik. Please do come back, this is not an area which can been seen in a few short hours. Our coastline has more than 1100 islands and only 65 of them are inhabited. Spending time island hopping and going inland to visit Plitvice Lakes should not be missed. Croatia is not unlike many other countries, it takes more than one visit to find all the special and hidden gems. Come, enjoy and next time make sure to spend time having a coffee with me at our green market.

Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

I have read this entire thread and have learned a lot of information from you, thank you for taking your time. I wish I would have known about cruise critic five years ago when we took our first Med cruise. When we went to Dubrovnik we walked on the wall and went to the Monastery. We have decided to go back to your beautiful city on Carnival and will be there on July 3rd of next year.

I would also like to go up the cable car since it was not running up the mountain five years ago.

My question is which island is your favorite. I have seen pictures of Lokrum and it is beautiful and I like how it is a natural preserve. But I also like that Cavtat is a 45 min ferry ride along the beautiful coast.

We are a group of 4 and enjoy great views but we will probably not be going into the Adriatic Sea for a swim. Or is there somewhere else we should go for great veiws of Croatia?

Thank you for all of your help

Steph

Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

I have read this entire thread and have learned a lot of information from you, thank you for taking your time. I wish I would have known about cruise critic five years ago when we took our first Med cruise. When we went to Dubrovnik we walked on the wall and went to the Monastery. We have decided to go back to your beautiful city on Carnival and will be there on July 3rd of next year.

I would also like to go up the cable car since it was not running up the mountain five years ago.

My question is which island is your favorite. I have seen pictures of Lokrum and it is beautiful and I like how it is a natural preserve. But I also like that Cavtat is a 45 min ferry ride along the beautiful coast.

We are a group of 4 and enjoy great views but we will probably not be going into the Adriatic Sea for a swim. Or is there somewhere else we should go for great veiws of Croatia?

Thank you for all of your help

Steph

If you've only walked the wall and visited one Monastery, I presume it was the Franciscan which is home to the old pharmacy. You should not miss the Rupe Museum, it is so special and since it's not on the main drag so many miss it, which is sad. Also the Dominican Monastery with it's museum, located on the walk towards the Ploce gate is a must. You can do this before continuing to the Ploce gate to the cable car entrance. The views from Mt. Srd of town and the surrounding area are breathtaking. Also the museum is open to the fallen from the 1991 homeland war has opened in the old fortress, built during the occupation of Napoleon. Spending a few hours on Lokrum, enjoying the natural beauty is a very good way to end your limited time here. Swimming in the Adriatic is our way of cooling down during the heat and humidity of July, guests love our clean clear blue sea, as I do also. Thank you for reading the entire post, must have taken a bit of time. Do remember that many early post may not be accurate for next year, entrance fees and such. Enjoy your time here, Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art!

Is this card a good value when visiting Dubrovnik? Also' date=' we'll be arriving on Oct. 28 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Can you advise other ships also in port that date? Thank you.[/quote']

You need to decide for yourself if it's a good value. If you walk the wall, visit Rectors Palace and Rupe, then the price is the same as paying directly. One must use the card for ALL sites for it to be of value. Do you believe that you have enough time in one short day to visit all the sites? Yes, it can be done if you're a power walker and do not stop for a coffee or lunch. This card does not include 2 of the most interesting Monastery museums, the Franciscan and Dominican. For that reason alone, I personally do not believe the card is of value for me.

Your arrival date, 28 October will be very busy in town, more than 8,000 cruise passengers. Your ship is only here from 11am to 6pm, not enough time to do 5 sites.

Hi DubrovnikTravelLady, your feedback is very much appreciated! I've been taking notes :)

I will be in port in late October from 8am-6pm with 3 other adults and 2 small kids (2 and 3.5 yrs old) and plan to walk the wall, visit the museums you mentioned, take the cable car and sample local food, especially seafood, civapcici and dirty macaroni.

Do you have any additional suggestions for things to do that might interest the kids?

Hi DubrovnikTravelLady, your feedback is very much appreciated! I've been taking notes :)

I will be in port in late October from 8am-6pm with 3 other adults and 2 small kids (2 and 3.5 yrs old) and plan to walk the wall, visit the museums you mentioned, take the cable car and sample local food, especially seafood, civapcici and dirty macaroni.

Do you have any additional suggestions for things to do that might interest the kids?

Made civapcici yesterday, one of my favorite meals as is dirty macaroni. Don't let the name fool you, it's only pasta made with pieces of meat. And I've never met anyone who did not enjoy civapcici, which is a combination of ground lamb and beef with the secret spices.

Our weather in late October may be wet and windy or sunny and warm. It's going to be a crap shoot. How were you planning on walking the wall with 2 small children, a stroller is not a good option as you will be breaking it down and carrying it most of the time due to the steps.

You might want to make arrangements to leave the children on board ship, there's very little if anything of interest for small kids, other than chasing pigeons around the square. Your ship must have an entertainment area for children, which is going to be easier on you if you want to tour the old town.

Thanks for your prompt response. My thoughts are to walk the walls and visit the Maritime Museum and perhaps have some lunch' date=' so the card probably would not be of much value to us.[/quote']

Walking the sea side of the wall and the Maritime will only take only about 1 1/2 hours. Do make a stop at the Rectors Palace and don't miss viewing the renovated "green" men. And please do make it a point to locate the Rupe Museum, it is a collection of our cultural life over the years. The very best site in all of Dubrovnik and should not be missed.

Thanks again. We are sailing with Cunard and in order to leave the children on board while we are in port, they have to be 5 years old which they are much younger so they will be coming along with us. We take them everywhere anyway and have carriers for them for when we go hiking and have used them on excursions last year in Alaska and had no issue. Sometimes they even fall asleep in the carrier. We will leave the stoller on board the ship. Can't wait to see Dubrovnik and hope the weather is favorable for us that day.

Do you know if there is a charge for the children for the museums/monasteries and cable car?

Edited by globalhoneymooning

Thanks again. We are sailing with Cunard and in order to leave the children on board while we are in port, they have to be 5 years old which they are much younger so they will be coming along with us. We take them everywhere anyway and have carriers for them for when we go hiking and have used them on excursions last year in Alaska and had no issue. Sometimes they even fall asleep in the carrier. We will leave the stoller on board the ship. Can't wait to see Dubrovnik and hope the weather is favorable for us that day.

Do you know if there is a charge for the children for the museums/monasteries and cable car?

There are fees for children, but I don't know the lower age limit. At what year do they begin to charge, I do know some sites do not bother for babies. A carrier would be helpful for the walls, the kind which you put on your chest or back.

Lokrum is a natural preserve and it's a lovely place to spend time, walking the paths with the peacocks who live there. There's an small restaurant (over overpriced) but I would bring some snacks and bottled water. You can easily spend a few hours just enjoy nature, weather depending. Depends on what you want if it's worth it or not. I love Lokrum, it's one of my favorite islands. Check the photo below, that's Lorkum just off the old town port.

Dubrovnik Travel Lady and others

What are the wines worth trying in Dubrovnik and where to buy them?

I will try any local wine but I am interested in buying a bottle of full-body red wine to take back to the ship. For a bottle my price limit is about $US30.

Dubrovnik Travel Lady and others

What are the wines worth trying in Dubrovnik and where to buy them?

I will try any local wine but I am interested in buying a bottle of full-body red wine to take back to the ship. For a bottle my price limit is about $US30.

My personal preference would be any of our Peljesac area wines, most will be labeled Peljesac, Dingac or Mali Plavac. There are several wine shops in town, you just need to find one which is within your price range. As a local resident I cannot recommend any to you.

Dubrovniktravelady

We are in dubrovnik on the thurs 13th of oct on the thomson spirit

We hope to do the walls and the cable car, which order do you suggest

We are berthed 07.00-17.00

Shuttle buses will drop passengers at the Pile Brsalje (square). The main entrance to the wall will be located just inside of the wall on the left. Ticket purchase is on the left just opposite the large Onfrio Fountain. Tickets are 70 Kuna, no Euros, pounds but they do now take credit cards.

You can do the sea side of the wall, walking counter clockwise and exit at either the Maritime Museum or just a bit further is the Ploce exit. From the Place exit, go up the pathway until you reach the Ploce gate and exit the old town. The cable car is to the left and slightly above that area. Entrance fee is 80 Kuna, they also take credit cards.

Enjoy both sites and Dubrovnik.

Walking the sea side of the wall and the Maritime will only take only about 1 1/2 hours. Do make a stop at the Rectors Palace and don't miss viewing the renovated "green" men. And please do make it a point to locate the Rupe Museum, it is a collection of our cultural life over the years. The very best site in all of Dubrovnik and should not be missed.

Thank you for your kind advice. You are a gem!

thanks, hoping the weather will be nice, is that time of year busy, read a lot of this post and can't wait to visit, we also go to split as well

Unfortunately October has become the busiest month for cruise ship arrivals. We will have more than 167,000 cruise passengers during the month, your date isn't too bad only 5,000 guests.

Mid October our weather is either sunny and warm or cold and wet. Do think in layers and don't forget an umbrella, just in case. November is the first month when the ships are at a minimum but the town closes down for winter hibernation on 31 October. Our sites are still open good hours in mid October, so you are safe. Have a great time here, I sure do every day.

We are visiting Dubrovnik aboard the Queen Elizabeth on Saturday 15th October and wish to do a tour.

However, having visited Dubrovnik before we would like too see more of the country if time will permit. Do you have any suggestions please as to where to go and what to see?