Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi dubrovnik lady, thanks for the very useful information. We are planning to look at some of the cultural sites once we have walked the walls, but how easy will it be for us to find a taxi in the old town and is there a fixed rate or do we need to negotiate. I think you have suggested that it would be too far to walk back to the ship, is that right?

thank you.

Your question indicates you have not downloaded the map of Dubrovnik, which I've posted many times. The old town is car free, all taxis will be waiting for you at the port after you've cleared passport control. They will drop you at the Pile Brsalje (square), which is outside of the old town.

Some people do walk back to the Guz harbor, but it's a long boring walk. And if you make a wrong turn, you will be going into the residential area. Why spend 45 minutes walking when you can take a taxi? Spend you walking time inside of the old town visiting sites, some are hidden and require some walking of steps both up and down. Rate for a taxi is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will accept Euros.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady: In a post from me earlier I asked if it would be easy to get taxis at the Gruz Port where we dock (tender in) to take into the Old Town. Or , do you suggest we book one online in advance? Do not want to waste any time since we are only in port from 8am-3pm and want as much time as possible to enjoy the town. The date we arrive is Nov. 10, 2011. Have downloaded your map plus much of the wonderful information you have provided - can't thank you enough.

We arrive in Dubrovnik via tender on Nov. 10, 2011 at Gruz Harbor. since this is the furthest away from the town, will there be taxis or cabs waiting at the dock to take us into town or should we reserve ahead of time? Don't know if any other ships will be there that day so don't know how many people will be needing a taxi. From what I have heard, Oceania is not running a shuttle. Thanks in advance for your help.

I doubt very highly that Oceania will be at anchor, especially in November. Your ship will be docked at the Gruz harbor, only about a 5 minute taxi ride to the old town. Taxis will be lined up waiting for passengers, they drop at the Pile gate entrance into town, which is called the Pile Brsalje (square). Taxi fare is 75 Croatian kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will accept Euros.

Please do understand that some of the outdoor restaurants and shops will be closed down for winter. The historical and cultural sites will have limited hours, normally from 9am until 3 or 4pm. Sunset will be about 4:30pm on your arrival date, so plan carefully. Although the best time to be in the old town is evening when the old town lanterns are lite up.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks so much for all of this information. My husband and I are trying to pick an excursion for Dubrovnik on the Ocean Princess. We have it narrowed down between two. The main difference is one goes to Rector's palace and to Cavat, with lunch, while the other does not. The shared itineraries include the Franciscan Monestary and pharmacy, cathedral and treasury, and Pile gate with old town. The difference in price is about $90 per person. Was wondering if the excluded two items were worth going to see with the increased price? I know it's hard to tell with a ship excursion how much time is actually spent at a particular site. Thanks!

Danica

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks so much for all of this information. My husband and I are trying to pick an excursion for Dubrovnik on the Ocean Princess. We have it narrowed down between two. The main difference is one goes to Rector's palace and to Cavat, with lunch, while the other does not. The shared itineraries include the Franciscan Monestary and pharmacy, cathedral and treasury, and Pile gate with old town. The difference in price is about $90 per person. Was wondering if the excluded two items were worth going to see with the increased price? I know it's hard to tell with a ship excursion how much time is actually spent at a particular site. Thanks!

Danica

I find it very strange they include Pile gate as some type of site, it's the entrance into the old town. Everyone goes over the bridge, stops foot traffic to take photos and somehow Princess shows it as a site. The Franciscan and Dominican Monasteries are both lovely and very much worth a visit.

Personally I love the Rectors Palace, especially a visit to see the Zelenci (green men) restoration of Maro & Baro. The twins are my favorite site in the old town, I just finished a story about them on my blog. They were part of the clock tower and now have been returned to Dubrovnik after being in restoration for 5 years.

However the one trip which shows a Lindo Dance review is not correct. The dancing does not begin until 9:30pm and I do believe your ship departs at 5pm. Princess might do a bit more research.

No matter how much the cost, I would never miss the opportunity to visit Cavtat, it's a lovely small town just south of Dubrovnik.

My thoughts on the sites you've mentioned. It's your vacation, enjoy yourself.

We went to Cavtat on a ship's excursion in June and plan to visit again next month.

The tourist bus and ferry are OK but both go from old town. The local bus #10 seems much more convenient (and probably cheaper) as it runs every 30 minutes and the bus stop is close to the port gates.

We'll get local currency for the bus tickets from the ATM at the cruise terminal. I know bus tickets can be bought at the newsstand and that the fare into old town is 10 Kuna (on buses 1A, 1B or 8) and that the ticket is valid for up to 1 hour. The price is 12 Kuna if you pay the driver.

I believe this is the same ticket we need for the suburban bus #10 to Cavtat? Maybe someone will be good enough to correct me if I'm wrong.

When we return from Cavtat we'll probably get off near the East end of the city and go on the cable car.

We went to Cavtat on a ship's excursion in June and plan to visit again next month.

The tourist bus and ferry are OK but both go from old town. The local bus #10 seems much more convenient (and probably cheaper) as it runs every 30 minutes and the bus stop is close to the port gates.

We'll get local currency for the bus tickets from the ATM at the cruise terminal. I know bus tickets can be bought at the newsstand and that the fare into old town is 10 Kuna (on buses 1A, 1B or 8) and that the ticket is valid for up to 1 hour. The price is 12 Kuna if you pay the driver.

I believe this is the same ticket we need for the suburban bus #10 to Cavtat? Maybe someone will be good enough to correct me if I'm wrong.

When we return from Cavtat we'll probably get off near the East end of the city and go on the cable car.

If you are taking the bus from the main terminal, you can check with the ticket agent there as to the fare to Cavtat. I seem to have heard it is more than our local buses around town. You should also check with the ticket agent as to the stops on the return route, it is not the same stops as the one going to Cavtat. Main bus terminal has the correct answers for you.

Dubrovniklady, I have just one more question please. Can you confirm that we can use Euro for the walls, the cable car and the taxi and would probably just need Kuna for shopping and lunch. I know we can get currency from the ATM but we prefer to do it before we leave home.

Thanks.

Dubrovniklady, I have just one more question please. Can you confirm that we can use Euro for the walls, the cable car and the taxi and would probably just need Kuna for shopping and lunch. I know we can get currency from the ATM but we prefer to do it before we leave home.

Thanks.

No longer are Euros accepted for the wall walk, it is now only Croatian Kuna or credit card. I do believe you can use Euros for the cable car, they also accept credit cards and I am not positive about the Euros. Taxi drivers will accept Euros, no problem there. It's hit or miss as far as restaurants and shops for Euros, some do and many do not. You may want to calculate how much you will spend and think about using the ATM machine here for Croatian Kuna. It is the legal currency of the country and EVERYONE must accept them. ATM gives a better rate than what you will receive in the UK.

I posted this question earlier today but it seems to have disappeared now? Anyway, we will be in Dubrovnik on the Azamara Quest on 26th Sept & were thinking of getting an overview before visiting the old town. Is it a good idea to BOTH the cable car and the Cabrio tourist bus & which one first?

As we are in port until 11pm, would it be better to 'do' the walls in the afternoon. I've tried to find out which other ships are in port but I can't find the schedule any more on the Port Authority website - has it changed?

Thank you.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

please can you tell me...

After we have been up in the cable car, will the nearest entrance to the wall be the Ploce Gate? Then, looking at the map is the pink line walk around the wall the easier side to walk or are there still lots of steps?

Hope you can help

Thank you very much :)

I posted this question earlier today but it seems to have disappeared now? Anyway, we will be in Dubrovnik on the Azamara Quest on 26th Sept & were thinking of getting an overview before visiting the old town. Is it a good idea to BOTH the cable car and the Cabrio tourist bus & which one first?

As we are in port until 11pm, would it be better to 'do' the walls in the afternoon. I've tried to find out which other ships are in port but I can't find the schedule any more on the Port Authority website - has it changed?

Thank you.

Last question, yes the port authority has updated their website recently and I do have the rest of this year in my documents already.

Quest will be here along with 4 other ships, all arriving early morning, but not too many guests - only about 5,000. That's a good day for us locals!

Cabrio bus is now only running in the mornings, you can pick it up at the main bus terminal in the Gruz harbor which is next to your dock. A lovely 2 hour trip, cost is only 90 Kuna per person. Get off the bus at Pile Brsalje (square) and you can then either visit the historical and cultural sites in the old town or walk the wall.

Save the cable car for the end of your day, our sunsets have been glorious and sun will be setting at 6:30pm on your day. You can find a taxi at the Ploce gate to return to the ship, cost should be about 80 Kuna.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

please can you tell me...

After we have been up in the cable car' date=' will the nearest entrance to the wall be the Ploce Gate? Then, looking at the map is the pink line walk around the wall the easier side to walk or are there still lots of steps?

Hope you can help

Thank you very much :)[/quote']

Yes, the Ploce entrance to the wall is located closest to the cable car. This entrance is the beginning of the land side of the wall, the most difficult since it's all upward until you reach Minceta tower the highest point on the wall.

The wall is 2 kilometers long, with a grand total of 1080 steps spread throughout. That is the total count, including some areas which are not accessible and you will only walk about 700 if you do the entire wall. I do recommend walking the sea side, it's the least difficult and will only take 1 hour or so with photo stops. You must enter at Pile entrance since it is a one way walk, counter clockwise to do the sea side.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hi we will be visitng on 12th October on Voyager of the Seas - we are in port 8am-6pm. I am unsure as to whether we should do the ships the ship's tour to Cavat and The Old Town or should we do a walking tour and go on the cable car.

If we decide not to take ship's tour I have a few questions please:

Where will we dock?

How far is it from where we dock to the old town - is it walkable or do we need to take bus - if so where is the bus stop.?

We usually prefer to do our own thing as we find ships tours a bit too organised andvery much stuck to time scale.

Any help greatly appreciated. We are open to other suggestions as to how to spend the day.

Thanks

Barbara

Last question, yes the port authority has updated their website recently and I do have the rest of this year in my documents already.

Quest will be here along with 4 other ships, all arriving early morning, but not too many guests - only about 5,000. That's a good day for us locals!

Cabrio bus is now only running in the mornings, you can pick it up at the main bus terminal in the Gruz harbor which is next to your dock. A lovely 2 hour trip, cost is only 90 Kuna per person. Get off the bus at Pile Brsalje (square) and you can then either visit the historical and cultural sites in the old town or walk the wall.

Save the cable car for the end of your day, our sunsets have been glorious and sun will be setting at 6:30pm on your day. You can find a taxi at the Ploce gate to return to the ship, cost should be about 80 Kuna.

Thank you so much for your response as it hadn't occurred to us to do the Cable Car later in the day. We are actually thinking about dining out in the evening - maybe Lokanda Peskarija or Komarda - I like fish & being by the sea (any opinions anyone?) so if we do need to go back to the ship, perhaps we'll do that in the afternoon & come out again for the cable car & then dinner.

Dubrovniktravelady: Thank you so much for valuable help. I will be arriving on the Ruby Princess on 9/27. Do you know how many other ships will be in the harbor that morning? The reason I ask is that I noticed that you mentioned that the Cabrio bus now picks up in the harbor and I thought that might be a convenient way to start the day. Do you know the bus schedule and how often they will run? Is there any way to make a reservation for the bus? Thanks a lot.

The reason I ask is that I noticed that you mentioned that the Cabrio bus now picks up in the harbor and I thought that might be a convenient way to start the day. Do you know the bus schedule and how often they will run? Is there any way to make a reservation for the bus? Thanks a lot.

I have this link to the timetable http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg Hopefully Dubrovniktravelady will confirm that these times are correct.

I have this link to the timetable http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg Hopefully Dubrovniktravelady will confirm that these times are correct.

Yes, times are correct and please keep in mind that the bus departs at those times. You must be there earlier, purchase the ticket and get settled for a lovely 2 hour tour. I will check again but was told the bus is no longer doing any afternoon trips, last one is at 14:30 (2:30pm).

Dubrovniktravelady: Thank you so much for valuable help. I will be arriving on the Ruby Princess on 9/27. Do you know how many other ships will be in the harbor that morning? The reason I ask is that I noticed that you mentioned that the Cabrio bus now picks up in the harbor and I thought that might be a convenient way to start the day. Do you know the bus schedule and how often they will run? Is there any way to make a reservation for the bus? Thanks a lot.

Ruby Princess will be in port with only the Seven Seas Voyager on your arrival date. Do make sure you get off quickly and find the directions to the main bus terminal. There are no reservations to be made, they begin the day at the bus terminal. Make sure to ask the ticket seller where the bus stops. If it's the regular bus stop, do wave the Cabrio down as you see it approach. You can't miss the big orange, open air tour bus it is different from our regular town bus.

Great way to start the day, I always enjoy taking this tour bus and I learn something new about my town every trip.

Hi we will be visitng on 12th October on Voyager of the Seas - we are in port 8am-6pm. I am unsure as to whether we should do the ships the ship's tour to Cavat and The Old Town or should we do a walking tour and go on the cable car.

If we decide not to take ship's tour I have a few questions please:

Where will we dock?

How far is it from where we dock to the old town - is it walkable or do we need to take bus - if so where is the bus stop.?

We usually prefer to do our own thing as we find ships tours a bit too organised andvery much stuck to time scale.

Any help greatly appreciated. We are open to other suggestions as to how to spend the day.

Thanks

Barbara

Voyager will be docked in the Gruz harbor, about a 15 minute shuttle bus trip to the old town. Check with your cruise line for times and prices. Our local Libertas bus does stop near the port, however you will need Croatian Kuna for the fare, which is 10 Kuna if you buy at the kisok, 12 Kuna paid to driver. I do recommend walking, it will take up far too much of your limited time in town and it's mostly uphill through our business district.

You need to decide how to spend your day, there are many lovely historical sites to visit inside of the city wall. Cavtat is a lovely small town just south of Dubrovnik which I enjoy often. Please try to include the cable car, the views from the top are breathtaking.

There are some folks who enjoy the ship excursions and many others who opt to do their own, it's entirely up to you which is best for your family. You can find many suggestions to our historical sites throughout this thread. Decide which interests you and download the map I've posted to get your bearings.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Would it be advisable to take this 2hr tour first thing? Is it possible to end the bus tour at Pile so that we could then walk the wall? Or is it better to do it in reverse order? Thanks a lot.

If you begin the Cabrio trip from the main bus terminal and get off at Pile, you will miss the view from Vidikovac (viewpoint) high above the old town. You may want to begin with the wall walk, pick up Cabrio at Pile Brsalje (square). This will allow you to rest a bit after walking the wall, it can take as much as 2 hours if you do the entire wall.

Enjoy your day in Dubrovnik.

Would it be advisable to take this 2hr tour first thing? Is it possible to end the bus tour at Pile so that we could then walk the wall? Or is it better to do it in reverse order? Thanks a lot.

If you begin the Cabrio trip from the main bus terminal and get off at Pile, you will miss the view from Vidikovac (viewpoint) high above the old town. You may want to begin with the wall walk, pick up Cabrio at Pile Brsalje (square). This will allow you to rest a bit after walking the wall, it can take as much as 2 hours if you do the entire wall.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

We will be in Dubrovnik Monday June 4, 2012 0800-1800 on the Celebrity Silhouette. I assume it may be too early to know whether the ship will be in old town or Gruz Harbours. I am interested in the Cabrio Bus tour to see some of the sites and for the audio commentary. I have looked at the Cabrio route map but still have some questions. Is the Cabrio bus a hop on hop off type bus where we can get off at different stops and then catch a later Cabrio bus or walk to a different Cabrio stop after seeing some of the sites in the area? On the map it is hard to tell which direction the route goes. It appears that one direction, the bus goes to old town and on another direction it does not go to old town? If we were to take the bus to the Vidikovac high point that you have suggested is that stop before or after the old town stop? Also wondering if the cable car ride would still be recommended or does the view from the Cabrio Bus tour go to the same area and provide a similar view? I want to see the views as well as spend some time wandering in old town and taking in the ambiance. We will also plan to walk at least some of the wall (maybe the ocean side vs the whole wall).

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

We will be in Dubrovnik Monday June 4, 2012 0800-1800 on the Celebrity Silhouette. I assume it may be too early to know whether the ship will be in old town or Gruz Harbours. I am interested in the Cabrio Bus tour to see some of the sites and for the audio commentary. I have looked at the Cabrio route map but still have some questions. Is the Cabrio bus a hop on hop off type bus where we can get off at different stops and then catch a later Cabrio bus or walk to a different Cabrio stop after seeing some of the sites in the area? On the map it is hard to tell which direction the route goes. It appears that one direction, the bus goes to old town and on another direction it does not go to old town? If we were to take the bus to the Vidikovac high point that you have suggested is that stop before or after the old town stop? Also wondering if the cable car ride would still be recommended or does the view from the Cabrio Bus tour go to the same area and provide a similar view? I want to see the views as well as spend some time wandering in old town and taking in the ambiance. We will also plan to walk at least some of the wall (maybe the ocean side vs the whole wall).

Although I have been on the Cabrio bus trip many times, I just can't seem to remember the exact route. Yes, the map is a bit confusing also and it is not hop on hop off. It does make a complete circle and with two photo stops, one at Vidikovac and the other at the Tudman bridge. The view from Vikikovac is spectacular, but not the same as the cable car. Do not miss the opportunity to go to the top of Mt. Srd and do stop at the Imperial fortress where there is now a memorial to the 1991 homeland war.

The sea side of the wall is my favorite part and slightly easier to walk, views are breathtaking. Make sure you have plenty of memory for your camera, bottle of water and good walking shoes or sandals. June is a lovely time of year to visit, our weather is not yet hot and humid as it has been now for the past month. We need a couple of very good rain days to clean the air and cool down the stone pavement.

So much to see in the old town, many historical and cultural sites and many are a bit off the main drag. Do download the tourist map I've posted several times and it will help you get your bearings.