Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

What are:

1) Rum Runners plastic bladders you fill with beverage and smuggle onto the ship

2) Magic Bullet I think it's a portable blender :confused:

Thanks!

I'm not going to say I give up trying to talk people down from packing their worldly goods as if they are going camping. You go right ahead.

I think people just have to learn for themselves what is important personally. I personally don't want to schlepp a bunch of junk, only to have to schlepp it all home again, unused, not to mention having to find a place to store it in the very small cabin. Experience is the best teacher and I have learned not to take things that aren't needed, much of it on this suggestion thread. I have my own list, my own necessities, what works for me doesn't work for the next person and visa versa.

I just caution all of you, be careful and don't spend a fortune on #1 excess junk and #2 excess luggage fees. I know you're excited and I don't blame you, I was too on my first cruise. I wish someone had come onto the board (not this one, it didn't exist yet) and put in a word of reason instead of throwing caution to the wind. I may have saved enough to put down a deposit on another cruise.

So I'm not being rude or mean or anything else people accuse nay sayers of being. I'm trying to save some of you some cash.

Wow that is a lot of stuff, do any of you actually take that? I am asking because by the time I put all of that stuff on the luggage plus my clothes, and shoes it will be over 50 pounds.

I think people should just take what is really necessary. There are some things that can stay.

I am going to try looking on that list and cross out what I dont think will be needed for my trip that is, but overall I think the list is very helpful.

Is just since I am traveling by plane to the port for my first cruise, I have to be careful with the weight.

Edited by CruiseSwag

Wow that is a lot of stuff, do any of you actually take that? I am asking because by the time I put all of that stuff on the luggage plus my clothes, and shoes it will be over 50 pounds.

I think people should just take what is really necessary. There are some things that can stay.

I am going to try looking on that list and cross out what I dont think will be needed for my trip that is, but overall I think the list is very helpful.

Is just since I am traveling by plane to the port for my first cruise, I have to be careful with the weight.

Treat the lists as a jumping off point. Take what you need and don't take things just because they worked for another person. Once in a while some people will read the lists and notice a "thing" they need and simply forgot. Much of the time if you haven't thought of it yourself, you won't miss it or need it.

Also, make a list of things to take care of before you leave. We include things like: turn off the ice maker in the freezer, we once returned home to a big stain on the floor from a puddle, the ice had overflowed and opened the freezer door (drawer style). Fortunately, our neighbors did notice it and turned it off for us.

I decided not to try any funny stuff "smuggling" in booze. If I get caught and it's confiscated, I lose my "savings" then and there. And besides, given the prices in bars here (see my location) it isn't that much more expensive to drink on ship.

Though it would be nice to have a little something in the cabin.

Blender? If you are travelling with a baby, or have digestion problems I can see it, but I barely use my blender at home!

As someone said, to each their own.

I also bring a very small electric kettle to make my own tea and coffee in the mornings. Again, free tea and coffee everywhere on board, but sometimes(varies with ship) it can have a "different" taste IMHO and I don't like to spend the extra $ in the ship's Coffee Cafe to get fresh brewed coffee .:)

Small appliances and kettles are prohibited because they present a fire risk.:mad:

Magic bullets only run when you press the button.

I appreciate all the opinions. The very detailed and thorough lists give me something to work from as I try to figure out what makes sense for my husband and I. Thanks for sharing all of your experience so we can make our upcoming cruise as relaxing as possible!

Janet! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST! YOU ARE GREAT, and I LOVE THAT YOU DON'T LET ANYONE TALK TO YOU ANYWAY THROUGH THE POST! :D

If you haven't figured it out, Janet is no one to mess with she will definitely defend herself. I am going on my cruise in May for the first time and I'm super excited, but definitely stressing about all the extra things. I want to make sure that I have everything that I will need for seven days and not come up wanting. You are all right, having too much and not needing is better then not having and needing. So I will be utilizing this when packing. I know the orginal post was posted back in 2009....I think, so has the rules changed on bringing soda onboard? Also what about the rum runners. I'm a BIG drinker and was definitely worried about the price of drinks on the ship and if I will be able to enjoy my cruise the way I want to. Do the rum runners still work?

@ Crzyfish83 - For our upcoming cruise in June we will be bringing our cases of soda and water and our Rum Runners. I use my rum runners a lot. Especially when we go to football games and concerts. When we pack them we don't pack them together we distribute them throughout our suitcases. This time we are traveling with a group of 5 couples. Each couple generally brings something different. I AM the type of person would would rather have than not have.. so this is why I start planning early. I had heard that Carnival was no longer allowing cases of soda to be brought onboard? Can't recall as we don't cruise on Carnival but if I did. I would just search for posts of others who traveled recently to see what they have to say.

@ ohiohillsgal - Hope you have a great cruise in June.. have fun planning!!!

And also..

Each couple has the SPRING BREAK - RUM RUNNER KIT.. HAAAAAAAAAAAAA Don't cha love it..

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/sneak-alcohol-on-cruise-ship.aspx

If my husband and I were traveling by ourselves we would not bring the Magic Bullet Blender. In our large group we share it and everyone who hosts a cocktail party trys to make some exotic tropical drink.

Since we fly on SWA we don't have the baggage fees and we always weigh our luggage prior to flying to make sure we are under the limits. And we are! :)

Like I always say planning the cruise is lots of fun isn't it? Isn't that why you are reading this. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Have a great day!! Thanks everyone...

Edited by Janet Foster

Treat the lists as a jumping off point. Take what you need and don't take things just because they worked for another person. Once in a while some people will read the lists and notice a "thing" they need and simply forgot. Much of the time if you haven't thought of it yourself, you won't miss it or need it.

Also, make a list of things to take care of before you leave. We include things like: turn off the ice maker in the freezer, we once returned home to a big stain on the floor from a puddle, the ice had overflowed and opened the freezer door (drawer style). Fortunately, our neighbors did notice it and turned it off for us.

Thanks for the advice.

The good thing is that I still live with my parents so they will be home while I am cruising with my sister lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading that people bring bottled water onboard. I know that soda is an extra charge on the ship, but is bottled water also extra $?

This is my first cruise, and I want to go as prepared as possible.

Thanks!:rolleyes:

I've been reading that people bring bottled water onboard. I know that soda is an extra charge on the ship, but is bottled water also extra $?

Hi Tooty91

Yes there is a charge for bottled water. Some people bring a bottle and then just use the ships water supply and fill up their bottle which is perfectly fine. My husband and I prefer to have cold chilled bottles on ice in our cabin at our disposal any time we want it. So for that reason we bring our own case. Plus I like to add the flavored mixes to the water as a variation.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!! I don't blame you in wanting to be prepared as possible~~

Yes on board they charge for bottled water, but usually the ships water is good. I just have one bottle of water and refill it out the tap.

When going off the ship in a port they usually sell the water there if you forgot to bring any for a long tour. Usually you can find water on shore cheaper also.

For someone new to cruising I always recomend cruisediva. Just type cruisediva in your address bar and hold the control key and hit enter.

Edited by scapel

I always place a note inside my suitcase of the airline/hotel/cruise ship and my cell phone number.

I always take a picture of my luggage that I'm checking, and it's on my camera to have in case it's lost.

When I get on the ship, I also take a picture of my stateroom door where you can see the room number real well...

Once I wrote it down wrong on the paper I put in my pocket, and woke up two lovely little ladies trying to get into their room about midnight on the first night :eek:

(now, I also decorate our door so I know I'm home) :D

Before I leave I go through the deck maps...and make a list for me.

I list the dining rooms, shopping or anything I know I'll be doing a lot.

Deck 2 - ____ dining

Deck 4 - shopping - foward

Deck 6 - Theatre - aft

etc.

It doesn't list everything, just the things I need to remember.

I highlight all the dining rooms in one color, the theatres in another, etc.

Then I laminate it (.99 cents) and it's little bigger than my room card.

I carry it with my room card to refer to.

I also buy the big 2 or 2.5 gallon ziplock bags for my clothes.

I still roll the clothes, but it's so easy to unpack. Your suitcase is very organized.

I also put an outfit, including underwear, socks in the large size and keep it for my travel home day. Then I'm always assured I have a fresh, clean outfit to fly home in.

My friend puts her kids outfits in a separate ziplock bags and all she has to do is pull out a bag and the kids clothes are ready for them to put on for that day.

I put socks and underwear in a smaller size one...dump the contents in the drawers in the room..keep the bag in the same drawer. Then once I wear them, I put them back in the empty bag. Once it's time to pack all I have to do is grab the ziplocks with the dirty clothes and throw them in the suitcase.

Ziplocks are great for keeping your receipts, keeping your dailys, or paper souvenirs, putting your camera or Kindle in when raining, or by the water. I also keep a few smaller ones in my bag I carry around the ship, in case I want to pick up some cookies or something to bring back to the room.

Thanks for all the help! So how should I label my case of water so it gets to my cabin with my luggage?

First time cruiser,

Lana:rolleyes:

P.S. Cruise diva's website is great!!

Hi Lana:

Just take one of your cruise luggage tags and tape it onto the case of water.

TA-DA!!!!

Yes.. Cruise Diva is a good site!!!!!

Your recommendations for things to pack are quite good. But as an former overpacker, let me also tell you what I do. I get out the garments I am looking to take and put them on a spare bed or hang them in a special part of my closet. Then the next day, I remove one of each thing (shirt, pant, swimsuit). The next day I remove one more of each item. After I'm done editing, I find that I have packed just enough to get by, look nice and not have to struggle carrying my suitcase.

Even if you don't edit as much as I do, try to take one pair of slacks or shorts or shirt or swimsuit out of your suitcase. Also, try packing navy blue and tan slacks and shorts. Almost anything will go with them and you won't have to take as much.

last october we went on a 15 night cruise and got packing advise from this thread. if there is one thing that was the most helpful was the suggestion to bring an over the door shoe organizer. we bought one at walmart for 6 dollars. awesome! keeps all your hair accessories, lotions, make up, deoderants, sunblock, otc meds, ship reciepts, colognes ,belts ,flat iron ,cameras etc. kept in on bathroom door. the room never got cluttered and could find everything easily.

Thank you for your "review"?? Now go help your wife with your 22 month old..

This last bit was hilarious!!!! Janet, Thanks for the packing list. I am a super packer as well, and though this is our first cruise, packing is packing for me (I guess you do have to think a bit further with a cruise because you are at sea, but all in all, its not that different). People need to READ your comments about doing whats best for them, the analyzing is hilarious! I'm starting DRAFT I of the packing list, I showed my DH this weekend- he rolled his eyes- I guess thats why I have DRAFT I version 1 & 2, one for me, one for him...

On the boat- "where is the toothpaste?, do I have shaving cream?, there aren't enough outlets in here!"- yup this is why I need Versions 1 & 2 :p

He is an underpacker LOL

Hello there Neotericisis..... I am glad you were amused with my line.... HAAA... You have to have a sense of humor somewhat...

Glad you liked the list and glad you "get it" in that it is not a HAVE TO HAVE for everyone.. Just pick it apart and take what you need. I certainly don't pack everything on the list either but some things might trigger something you really meant to bring.

I start the "staging" process about a month out. Gathering things here and there. My husband also rolls his eyes.. but then again all he has to do is show up at the airport.

He already knows ahead of time that I will have everything he needs...

I have distributed my "Alaskan Packing List" to our friends going on our cruise in June.. it isn't much different from this current list. Just added the warmer clothes.

I am also the one who searches the boards for the excursion reviews, pre cruise hotel ideas and airport transportation. I like doing this.. I should have been a travel agent. Then I draft up an itinerary of what is available and everyone picks what they want to do. No wonder I am so depressed when I get home. I have to plan another cruise!!!

Keep laughing!!! You'll have a great time!!!

Could someone post a link to the shoe organiser thingy? I have looked here online and the only sort seem to have a rigid back to them and then multiple little plastic storage holders (which is great) but not the rigid back! It wouldn't even fit in my suitcase. Thanks

Could someone post a link to the shoe organiser thingy? I have looked here online and the only sort seem to have a rigid back to them and then multiple little plastic storage holders (which is great) but not the rigid back! It wouldn't even fit in my suitcase. Thanks

Try this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=10207649