Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I am fairly new to these boards and haven't booked my first cruise yet but I always enjoy reading what people pack or what they might pack and suggest. I have also looked up some packing lists on other cruise websites. This is the best I have seen with everything listed and it seems to me there are a few folks out there who are just cutting down and are plain mean.

I look to this site for guidance and help. If I want mean.. I can just listen to my 4 year old fight with my 6 year old.

I hope to book my first cruise sometime soon and I will print your list and use it as a guide.

I certainly did not intend for my response to your list to be a personal criticism of you - just a response based on my own experience - one alternative voice of many for other posters to consider
I didn't mean it to be negative either, and you might've noticed that I agreed with a number of your suggestions. I agree with simplelife -- a nice name for this particular topic! -- that it's good for new cruisers to hear different opinions.
When we cruise it is with all of our friends/family. We all get junior suites next to each other and then have the room attendant open up the balconies all the way down so we have about 6 - 8 cabins in a row. Just about my whole family works for Southwest so like I said earlier we are fortunate in that respect. We also have themed cocktail parties each night so everyone is responsible for their own party and we bring decorations.
The parties and the group sound like great fun, though I'd put together my party food from room service, the pizza parlor, and the Promenade Cafe!

It IS fortunate that you're able to get your airfare and your free luggage through Southwest, but I'm sure you know that's an unusual situation -- most people would pay big bucks to bring as much luggage as you're describing, and I wouldn't want to give new cruisers the impression that they couldn't have a good time without spending what it would cost the average person. As a child, both my parents worked for Eastern Airlines, which no longer exists, and we went EVERYWHERE. It was wonderful!

I will say this.. my last cruise we all got Aft cabins.. we had two decks and I was not happy with the afts on the Liberty of the Seas.. On the sides of the ship you are looking down at the water which is what we all like. . On their aft you are looking at the ship's steel structure then beyond that is the water. So I would say I am more a balcony girl than and an aft girl but I am glad we all tried it.
I LOVE aft cabins! A 10th floor corner aft on a Voyager or Freedom class is the best! The rooms are as large as a junior suite, but they're at a balcony price; and the room-sized balconies are wonderful! I didn't find that the superstructure interferred with the view terribly -- at least not from the 10th floor; I believe it's more intrusive on decks 6-7.

I wouldn't like what you're describing though: Going with a group and being on two different decks. You're not likely to get a whole group into the highly coveted aft cabins, so your side cabins are probably best for your needs.

Well, have you ever heard about mini cruise? It's also good for the first time cruisers... :)
This is a good idea. When we first cruised, we weren't sure if we'd like it, if we'd get seasick, or whatever . . . so we chose a four-night cruise, which was just enough to whet our appetite! But since everyone doesn't like it, a short trial cruise is a good idea. I'm not sure whether I'd agree with a two-night cruise as described in the article -- that'd hardly be worth the drive to the port; unless, perhaps it was a two-night cruise tacked onto a beach vacation or a Disney vacation.

As I travel with my sons, I recently found a "pop-up" laundry bag, very useful. The boys put their dirties in the hamper, it's easily carried to the laundry room, (instead of stuffing your laundry into cruise shop plastic bags & your dirty laundry looks the same as everyone else's!) They are very compact to put in your suitcase and don't take up a lot of room in the corner of your cabin.

I also pack one of those hanging (octopus) things, that has all the pegs dangling of it - great for hanging in the shower recess overnight & drying swimmers, nickers, bras, socks etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Where do you get the tag you have used? Do you consider these items "checked" and they go with your regular luggage, right? That is delivered to you room.

Sorry I have been away.. Had a death in the family... so took lots of time off. In answer to your question the tags we used were sent to us by RCCL but if we got to port and didn't have enough tags the baggage handlers there at port have some for you to use.

Thank you for your reply Mrs. Pete.. very nice.

Best Regards!

Hi Again

Ok this is my first cruise as well, how on earth do I get all this stuff in my suitcase plus I have 3 formal nights and the airlines now have a limited weight as I am flying by KLM

I must be the only one that lives in a town that has no dry cleaner , so I am going to drive the 60 miles to the next town and go in a ask for their bags right? And what is this wrinkle free stuff the ladies talk about ? How can this take out wrinkles as my formals I think wrinkle some what awful.

Thank you for taking this time to answer my questions

Yes I am looking forward in starting our cruise off on Halloween Night and flying into Holland and than to Spain.

Hi Again

Ok this is my first cruise as well, how on earth do I get all this stuff in my suitcase plus I have 3 formal nights and the airlines now have a limited weight as I am flying by KLM

I must be the only one that lives in a town that has no dry cleaner , so I am going to drive the 60 miles to the next town and go in a ask for their bags right? And what is this wrinkle free stuff the ladies talk about ? How can this take out wrinkles as my formals I think wrinkle some what awful.

Thank you for taking this time to answer my questions

Yes I am looking forward in starting our cruise off on Halloween Night and flying into Holland and than to Spain.

Oh my goodnes.. it sure sounds like you have taken everything on the list. You may need to look at what you are packing and rethink a few things if you have so much like you say you so.

Also.. dry cleaning bags are intended to help keep clothes from getting wrinkled. I for sure wouldn't even think about driving 120 miles to get bags. I would just pack carefully and if wrinkled then send for pressing. From what you indicated it sounds like your formal dresses will wrinkle no matter what. I am sure the cost of pressing your dresses would be less than the gas driving to the next town. Where do you live in California??

The wrinkle free product that people use on their clothes is called Wrinkle Releaser and it is made by Downey and in the isle in the grocery store where the laundry detergent and fabric softener is.

Hope that helps. I would also weigh your suitcases to make sure you are within the limits but last time I flew to Europe last fall, we were not charged for our suitcases. Of course every airline has their rules.

Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, well yes I was trying to fit almost everything that I thought that I needed into this suitcase and wow, after your email I have dumped it out onto the bed and going to think 18 nites I will be away so I am staying with 4 pairs of pants , couple of tops etc and I bought a 26 inch suit case.

The rest can just hop onto my broom and follow me to the cruise ship! :) don't I wish ( after all it will be halloween!)

Thanks again

Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, well yes I was trying to fit almost everything that I thought that I needed into this suitcase and wow, after your email I have dumped it out onto the bed and going to think 18 nites I will be away so I am staying with 4 pairs of pants , couple of tops etc and I bought a 26 inch suit case.

The rest can just hop onto my broom and follow me to the cruise ship! :) don't I wish ( after all it will be halloween!)

Thanks again

I have come home many times with clothes that never got worn and things that never got used. You really have to just be realistic especially if you are going to be traveling for 18 days. I would probably bring laundry detergent to rinse some things out in the sink. I know you are thinking you need everything but just ask yourself; am I really going to use this and if I do how often will I and then see what the value of it is for you. I was pretty cleaver in packing my suitcase with everything I brought but again the list is just to be used as a guide for something that might pertain to you or be useful to you.

But for sure going that long take the over the door shoe organizer and pop up hamper those items will be very useful.

Sounds like a fabulous trip!

Thank you so much for all the advice and the packing list. My DH thought I was crazy but once we were onboard and unpacked and everything had a place and a reason he understood. Our 7 day cruise was nothing short of spectacular and our stateroom was always tidy.

I hope to go on another cruise within the next couple of years (money is real tight right now) and I will be sure to use your list again.

Thanks again:)

Thank you so much for all the advice and the packing list. My DH thought I was crazy but once we were onboard and unpacked and everything had a place and a reason he understood. Our 7 day cruise was nothing short of spectacular and our stateroom was always tidy.

I hope to go on another cruise within the next couple of years (money is real tight right now) and I will be sure to use your list again.

Thanks again:)

YAY!!!

Glad you had a great time. That over the door shoe organizer is the best isn't it? I even take it with me when I go on land trips to different places. Glad you had a fun time on your cruise... you probably have the cruise blues now.. Time to schedule one for 2011!!

Best Regards!

Janet

I would just pack carefully and if wrinkled then send for pressing. From what you indicated it sounds like your formal dresses will wrinkle no matter what . . . The wrinkle free product that people use on their clothes is called Wrinkle Releaser and it is made by Downey and in the isle in the grocery store where the laundry detergent and fabric softener is.
I've always had very good luck with just hanging my dress in the bathroom while I take a long, hot shower. It might not work well with linen or 100% cotton, but it's great for formal dresses.

Wow I never thought that these were so expensive to buy for what I am thinking of doing.

Great if you are using them every day in your house, I must be looking in the wrong places.

Got my shoe organizer online at Fingerhut but they also sell them at Target for under $10.

Got my shoe organizer online at Fingerhut but they also sell them at Target for under $10.

I got one at $$ Tree for $1. The plastic is not very thick and it only has eight pockets but it was enough for us. Plus it folded up VERY flat and takes up very little room in the suitcase!

I got one at $$ Tree for $1. The plastic is not very thick and it only has eight pockets but it was enough for us. Plus it folded up VERY flat and takes up very little room in the suitcase!

I am in the wrong place to do shopping! My suitcase is ready to go, as I just came up with only clothes for a couple of days plus my formal wear why? because I do not want to go all that way fly into Holland and be told my suit case is too heavy or something as I still have to get on another plane for Spain. I have heard on other boards that this is happening, so off to the laundry on the ship my clothes will be going if I need them to be washed and I will.