Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I am a planner, early packer, and obssessive list-checker-off-er, so I LOVE your list. There are a few things I hadn't thought of, and are good ideas. A big part of the fun of the cruise for me is the planning ahead of time. My husband is totally different, and would pack at the last minute, using a trash bag, swimsuit, and underwear. Notice I left out toothbrush and deoderant, because he ALWAYS forgets it (he has no list). When I try to pack light, I alwasy pack too light. If you can get all your stuff for a week's cruise into a carry-on bag, more power to ya. I personally would rather have everything I need, not have to pay a fortune for it on the ship, not have to do laundry on vacation, not have to wear the same clothes every day, than have to lug everything around in a carry-on. Again, thank you for posting your list, and to the negative posters, please get a life! These people are trying to help other people, and actually enjoy planning for their cruise.

I am a planner, early packer, and obssessive list-checker-off-er, so I LOVE your list. There are a few things I hadn't thought of, and are good ideas. A big part of the fun of the cruise for me is the planning ahead of time. My husband is totally different, and would pack at the last minute, using a trash bag, swimsuit, and underwear. Notice I left out toothbrush and deoderant, because he ALWAYS forgets it (he has no list). When I try to pack light, I alwasy pack too light. If you can get all your stuff for a week's cruise into a carry-on bag, more power to ya. I personally would rather have everything I need, not have to pay a fortune for it on the ship, not have to do laundry on vacation, not have to wear the same clothes every day, than have to lug everything around in a carry-on. Again, thank you for posting your list, and to the negative posters, please get a life! These people are trying to help other people, and actually enjoy planning for their cruise.

Chloe's Mom..

Thanks for your note.. I love planning cruises also. I love the whole planning and packing process. My husband is the same as your's. Last minute backer. Only needs one outfit.. LOL...

Have fun!

Hello

Just dropped in to say hi and that I got my shoe over the door keeper, didn't get it for a $1.00 instead I paid $6.00 not bad. I am down to 3 pairs of pants and tops to go with them, plus my formals and not bad as in the start I think I had every piece of clothing that I owned in this suitcase. I was at the store the other day and bought some pink & blue duck tape just incase I need it.

With Celebrity Cruise new rules for bringing liquor on board, I think I will only bring my 2 bottles of wine. It is getting to risky as they are now looking inside of water bottles wow.

Thanks again for the packing list

Hello

Just dropped in to say hi and that I got my shoe over the door keeper, didn't get it for a $1.00 instead I paid $6.00 not bad. I am down to 3 pairs of pants and tops to go with them, plus my formals and not bad as in the start I think I had every piece of clothing that I owned in this suitcase. I was at the store the other day and bought some pink & blue duck tape just incase I need it.

With Celebrity Cruise new rules for bringing liquor on board, I think I will only bring my 2 bottles of wine. It is getting to risky as they are now looking inside of water bottles wow.

Thanks again for the packing list

a friend of mine just got back from his cruise, and he had rum runners out on table and steward asked him to please put them away....that they are suppose to report it etc. :eek:

So I guess they really are cracking down!

a friend of mine just got back from his cruise, and he had rum runners out on table and steward asked him to please put them away....that they are suppose to report it etc. :eek:

So I guess they really are cracking down!

That is something !

When I did my on line checking in , I had to read the contract and it is in there that they now say that changes have been made to make sure you read it and that is where I saw them list everything and they say that they are checking even water bottles etc and you can be put ashore or not allowed to take the cruise.

Makes you think twice about taking something that you know you can not take doesn't it?

Thank you Janet for taking the time to post a list especially for first time cruisers. This will be my second cruise and this list is so helpful as I have already forgotten some items you mentioned that will be important to me for my next cruise. It's always nice to have something to go over needed or not as everyones needs are different but a checklist is very helpful. I think first time cruiser will overpack as I did and now knowing what was used or not used will be a lesson they will learn on their own. You did a great job and thanks again.

Now for my 2 cents worth of info:

I did pack snacks in my luggage to bring on the cruise for the reason of having something during the day while on the islands. After a breakfast on the ship and dinner later that evening it saved lots of money and also your waistline. HA! Also, some people are not comfortable eating meals on all islands.

The one thing that came in handy was extra clothes hangers. You do have ones in closets but the extra came in use for hanging hand washed clothes. My experience was I got a bright idea half way thru our cruise to hand wash a load of clothes using the little travel packet of Tide as I did not want to wait for a load to wash and then dry. I hauled down my laundry bag which was not a short walk with the wet clothes to throw in the dryer. Inserted my money and nothing happened. A couple walked by and said the machines are not working. I looked around and a small note was on the door saying something about the laundry room services are not working at this time. I did know that when you are docked they shut down the machines but this was around 10:30 at night while cruising to our next port. So I called downstairs and they said the machines are out of use. Do you see the sign? I said, you mean that little sign on the door that is not noticable unless you really look for it. So of course I can get my money back but had to walk to the other side of the ship which at that time someone else called in and the woman said this is the 15th person who has tried to use the facility and she called someone and told them to put an out of order sign on each washer and dryer. So here I am left with a load of wet clothes. So I pulled out my extra hangers which the ones in the closet will not work and took my clothes pins and hung multiply clothes on them and tilted the hooks sideways and hung them on the back of the chairs outside our balcony. Being lucky to have a balcony the clothes did not take long to dry except for a few items which were not needed right away. You can hang them in the bathroom but with the humidity is does take longer.

So this suggestion does help when your trying to pack as light as possible and hand washing will come in handy sometime during your cruise as you cannot rely on the laundry facilites at all times.

Just keep in mind that you are going on a cruise to have fun and enjoy your experience. Don't frustrate yourself with packing too many clothes as you can mix and match and with my past experience did not wear half the stuff I brought.

Thanks for listening and have a fun safe cruise!!

Thank you Janet for taking the time to post a list especially for first time cruisers. This will be my second cruise and this list is so helpful as I have already forgotten some items you mentioned that will be important to me for my next cruise. It's always nice to have something to go over needed or not as everyones needs are different but a checklist is very helpful. I think first time cruiser will overpack as I did and now knowing what was used or not used will be a lesson they will learn on their own. You did a great job and thanks again.

Now for my 2 cents worth of info:

I did pack snacks in my luggage to bring on the cruise for the reason of having something during the day while on the islands. After a breakfast on the ship and dinner later that evening it saved lots of money and also your waistline. HA! Also, some people are not comfortable eating meals on all islands.

The one thing that came in handy was extra clothes hangers. You do have ones in closets but the extra came in use for hanging hand washed clothes. My experience was I got a bright idea half way thru our cruise to hand wash a load of clothes using the little travel packet of Tide as I did not want to wait for a load to wash and then dry. I hauled down my laundry bag which was not a short walk with the wet clothes to throw in the dryer. Inserted my money and nothing happened. A couple walked by and said the machines are not working. I looked around and a small note was on the door saying something about the laundry room services are not working at this time. I did know that when you are docked they shut down the machines but this was around 10:30 at night while cruising to our next port. So I called downstairs and they said the machines are out of use. Do you see the sign? I said, you mean that little sign on the door that is not noticable unless you really look for it. So of course I can get my money back but had to walk to the other side of the ship which at that time someone else called in and the woman said this is the 15th person who has tried to use the facility and she called someone and told them to put an out of order sign on each washer and dryer. So here I am left with a load of wet clothes. So I pulled out my extra hangers which the ones in the closet will not work and took my clothes pins and hung multiply clothes on them and tilted the hooks sideways and hung them on the back of the chairs outside our balcony. Being lucky to have a balcony the clothes did not take long to dry except for a few items which were not needed right away. You can hang them in the bathroom but with the humidity is does take longer.

So this suggestion does help when your trying to pack as light as possible and hand washing will come in handy sometime during your cruise as you cannot rely on the laundry facilites at all times.

Just keep in mind that you are going on a cruise to have fun and enjoy your experience. Don't frustrate yourself with packing too many clothes as you can mix and match and with my past experience did not wear half the stuff I brought.

Thanks for listening and have a fun safe cruise!!

You know, I would of been so mad that when I got back to my room , my clothes line would of went up across the balcony !

After reading this my list is now smaller thanks

000203C4.gif

• 4 months later...

My father is unable to walk and must use a three wheel scooter. The thing quit the day of the Panama Canal transit. He is a Civil Engineer and really wanted to see that piece of work.

This is why I will pack at least a cheap analog multimeter this fall to Alaska.

BTW, we sent the scooter to ship's engineering, and they couldn't repair it. On the last sea day I got it to work by using one of the wrappers from the chocolates on the pillows.

(Yes, my friends DO call me MacGyver.)

Edited by 1hotflyer

I can't believe I just read most of this post again, then I ran into my own post. I guess that's what getting up in the middle of the night does to you, I didn't realize it had been resurrected :o.

I still think my comment was appropriate, too bad the OP took others opinions as criticism instead of the what they were meant to be, another opinion trying to be helpful. My first cruise was laden with extras that were not needed and a burden. I can understand how excited a person can be and really think you need to have a lot on the list, it takes a cruise or two before you find out best what works for you.

Much of the list is fine, until you get to the end. Snacks are provided on the ship. Over the door shoe holders (we took one the first couple times) really isn't needed if you utilize the closets/shelves provided, there is plenty of space in the bathroom for toiletries and such. I've never used duct tape, a pop up hamper is just one more thing to pack, I don't take anything the ship provides...like cups. Pack beach bags as carry ons, instead of packing a bag into a bag.

If you pack properly, you won't have to seperated clean clothing from dirty, it will all be dirty! I get annoyed with myself for packing too much clothing any more when we travel. That tip in itself can save a person the cost of a couple new pairs of pants or tops, or overweight luggage fees, or extra bag fees.

I'll say it again, I wish someone had stated on one of these types of threads before our first cruise that a lot of the list is not needed, it would have saved us a lot of cash and a lot of excess weight in our luggage.

I am booked on the Freedom of the Seas in August 2009. I have never been on a cruise but I have been reading quite a bit and found this forum. I love the list you prepared but have a question. Are you really allowed to bring a case of water and sodas onboard? I know liquor is a no-no but would love to find a way. I am a penny pincher so whever I can save some $ would great. A couple friends of ours had a $1000 bar tab at the end of their 7 day cruise, I cant even imagine that and it has me scared to death. I don't drink a whole lot but if drinks are that expensive onboard I will have to go without.

We packed water bottles in our suitcases. You can buy liquor at the ports but if you bring them on board, they will be taken from you until you get off. I wonder if it's $$ issue? The ship can get loads of $$ from liquor sales (like you heard from your friends). We didn't drink anything except juice and water so I don't know how much liquor is.

google rum runner flasks

I am booked on the Freedom of the Seas in August 2009. I have never been on a cruise but I have been reading quite a bit and found this forum. I love the list you prepared but have a question. Are you really allowed to bring a case of water and sodas onboard? I know liquor is a no-no but would love to find a way. I am a penny pincher so whever I can save some $ would great. A couple friends of ours had a $1000 bar tab at the end of their 7 day cruise, I cant even imagine that and it has me scared to death. I don't drink a whole lot but if drinks are that expensive onboard I will have to go without.

Nobody has ever been put ashore or denied boarding - there would be riots if that happened - their bottom line couldn't stand the bad press as it would hurt worse than smuggling hurts their booze sales.

That is something !

When I did my on line checking in , I had to read the contract and it is in there that they now say that changes have been made to make sure you read it and that is where I saw them list everything and they say that they are checking even water bottles etc and you can be put ashore or not allowed to take the cruise.

Makes you think twice about taking something that you know you can not take doesn't it?

Thank you all. What fun. I find planning and packing to be 1/2 the fun of a cruise. If you want to live out of a carry on bag for 10 days, have fun. it's not my style. ANYWAY...

My contribution which isn't really adding anything but organizing things.

My husband and I have to work while we vacation (the curse of the self employed) so we bring a lot of electronics. I keep all of my chargers, connectors, batteries etc. for each item in a zip lock Freezer bag. I use the freezer bags because they are heavier and always have a place where you can write what's inside on it.

So when we travel rather than having to look for the cell phone, the cell phone charger, the spare cell phone battery, the cell phone instructions because we just got a new cell phone and don't know how to use it - it's all in a baggie called "cell phone stuff"

I can't believe I just read most of this post again, then I ran into my own post. I guess that's what getting up in the middle of the night does to you, I didn't realize it had been resurrected :o.

I still think my comment was appropriate, too bad the OP took others opinions as criticism instead of the what they were meant to be, another opinion trying to be helpful. My first cruise was laden with extras that were not needed and a burden. I can understand how excited a person can be and really think you need to have a lot on the list, it takes a cruise or two before you find out best what works for you.

Much of the list is fine, until you get to the end. Snacks are provided on the ship. Over the door shoe holders (we took one the first couple times) really isn't needed if you utilize the closets/shelves provided, there is plenty of space in the bathroom for toiletries and such. I've never used duct tape, a pop up hamper is just one more thing to pack, I don't take anything the ship provides...like cups. Pack beach bags as carry ons, instead of packing a bag into a bag.

If you pack properly, you won't have to seperated clean clothing from dirty, it will all be dirty! I get annoyed with myself for packing too much clothing any more when we travel. That tip in itself can save a person the cost of a couple new pairs of pants or tops, or overweight luggage fees, or extra bag fees.

I'll say it again, I wish someone had stated on one of these types of threads before our first cruise that a lot of the list is not needed, it would have saved us a lot of cash and a lot of excess weight in our luggage.

Yep, I could've said the same thing. It's not negative to encourage people to pack realistically. Instead, it saves you money and frees you from taking care of so much "stuff" during your vacation -- it increases your enjoyment and gives you more time. On the other hand, packing, transporting, and dealing with excessive stuff weighs you down and saps your energy.

I like the list, but it may be a bit much for those with luggage limitations. I'm packing now for an 11 day cruise. For a shorter cruise I probably wouldn't think of bringing a lot of the stuff I am taking.

We are not flying, but I am trying to keep my luggage manageable, so that my husband and I can handle it all wihtout problem. I was going through the list and found a lot of the items to be small and light weight. But the money can add up for all this stuff.

Here are my cost cutting and weight cutting measures.

I really liked the Idea of the over the door shoe holder, however the one I had on hand was quite large and heavy. I didn't need that much space. Someone had mentioned the dollar store so I went there and found an over the door organizer. Its only about a foot wide and about 4 feet high and has eight pockets. (each pocket would be the size to fit one shoe.) You would need to add a bit of twine and a over door hook as it does not come with one, but for a two dollar investment ($1 for the hook) it will suffice and takes about 1/10 the room of my regular shoe holder. I doubt it weighs more then 2 ounces. I should mention this was found at the Dollar Tree. They also had a 5 pocket organizer about 2 foot by 2 foot.

Also at the dollar store you can buy 24 individual packaged wipes. I just took this out of the box and put some in our luggage and over night bags. (compared to $2.14 at Walmart). They also carry two of those mini hand santizer bottles for $1.

Mini Touchlights are also available for $1 if you so desire. I'm just taking a small night light for the bathroom ($1) and will most likey do without the touch light.

If you don't need extensions but just more outlets I found a very small plug in outlet that turns one outlet into three or six for $1 at Dollar Tree also. Very minimual space. We'll throw one in just in case.

I decided to take my own shampoo and conditioner as I just colored my hair (please don't tell, the greys were showing) and ship shampoo may not be mosterized enough. The shampoo bottles for carry on were expensive at the department stores and I needed a little larger bottle for the 12 nights we will be away. (but my regular soap bottles were way to heavy to lug around) I found some 5 OZ kids pump bottle soaps at the dollar store 2 for $1. I took them home, dumped out the soap and refilled with my shampoo, conditioner and also got one for my favorite shower Gel. My label maker quickly labeled them and they look nice. I reduced the weight by 1/3 and only invest $2.

We never leave home without our popup hampers. They have a permanent place in the outside pocket of our luggage. We have one floor hamper ($1 at a flea market) and one over the door hamper (Found at Walmart for $3). (they both fit very nicely in the outside pockets and lie very flat)

I found a folding digital travel alarm clock for about $7. It is no bigger then a credit card (about a quarter of an inch thick). I really did like the suggestion of using the television, but this clock was inexpensive and so small I believe it will find a permanent place in one of the pockets of our luggage.

Everything mentioned I could leave home and survive just fine, but I think they will be nice usuable items to have along. Take very little space/weight and are inexpensive.

Thanks for the lists. This is our 2nd cruise and it really helped me to decide what I needed to take, as my memory is faint of what the first cruise was like luggage wise.

Yep, I could've said the same thing. It's not negative to encourage people to pack realistically. Instead, it saves you money and frees you from taking care of so much "stuff" during your vacation -- it increases your enjoyment and gives you more time. On the other hand, packing, transporting, and dealing with excessive stuff weighs you down and saps your energy.

The thing is, one person's realistic is another person's excessive and a third person's ohmygawd I didn't bring enough.

There's no right or wrong, there's only finding out what's right for you. I'm sure if we were traveling together, you'd be horrified at how early I start packing and how much I take. It makes me happy. My husband is strong and doesn't mind carrying the stuff. And it makes me happy.

I can totally see that it also makes sense to say "Why carry X with you 10 times when you might only need it one trip in 20, and if you need it you can buy it." That's cool too. It's not my way. THAT would sap my energy. Just as packing a lot saps yours.

I do think having an exhaustive list is a good thing to have. No one says you have to bring everything on the list. Even with my excessive packing habits I saw things I wouldn't pack. But that's OK, I have things on my list that weren't on this one.

This is about vacationing and having fun. Packing and planning and comparing 10 different lists is fun for for some people. There is no energy being sapped if you're having fun.

great hints and info ,just adding a couple of ideas ,some of the things i found invaluable not just on a cruise but any trip where a roll on insect repellant and sun tan lotion and a thin cardigan that rolls up into a small ball all of which i kept in my handbag and found i used all of the time especially the jacket which i only packed at the last minute great for those on shore days when the weather was unpredictable and also when visiting religeous sights where shoulders and arms where required to be covered.we are off on our second cruise in august this time for 18 nights our last one was only seven ,any hints for packing for a longer trip especially going to different climates would be appreciated as we are going to be away from home for nearly 6 weeks all up and are travelling this time with my sister and her husband and 3 tweens and my 81 year old father all of whom are first time cruisers.

Advice for packing for a longer cruise is to not pack any more than you would for a week long cruise. It's much more cost efficient to wear the same clothing more than once, using the laundry/dry cleaning service a couple times.

I know we don't have enough clothing to have 36 outfits for both day and evening wear (well, maybe I do but I'd never admit it to the husband!). So purchasing more clothes for a longer cruise is far more expensive than the laundry charges. Add in the second bag fee, or overweight fee and you have spent a whole bunch of cash instead of just a little.

You will have to increase your toiletry amounts, but that's not really a big deal.

I am not the only one who does this, but some people will be incredulous. I buy clothes at the thrift store (we have a great one nearby) and I have to make sure the clothes are okay, but I'm not going to fall in love with them.

Half the clothes I take will be my favorite capris, etc, but I will take dresses and tops and leave them behind when I get off the ship. I leave them behind in the hotel for the pre-cruise days. I always leave a note so they know I did it on purpose. I don't care if they give them away or trash them. When I come home, I am bringing my makeup, formal dress, shoes, those fave capris and souvenirs. When you are gone for 16 days it really helps. A friend got me started doing this and I love it.

I am not the only one who does this, but some people will be incredulous. I buy clothes at the thrift store (we have a great one nearby) and I have to make sure the clothes are okay, but I'm not going to fall in love with them.

Half the clothes I take will be my favorite capris, etc, but I will take dresses and tops and leave them behind when I get off the ship.

Great idea. I do something similar, I bring things that are just about at the "ready to be tossed" stage - I don't mean things that are threadbare, but things that I'm really bored with, or are a bit worn. I wear those things for doing my exercises or walks around the deck. Then I leave some things behind.

I also, if going someplace warm and sunny, bring light colored old t-shirts to wear in the water to avoid burning as the water washes off our water resistant sunscreen. Then I leave them behind too.

I replace my undies regularly (when thay have seen some wear but before thay are at the ragged stage). Rather than throw them away, I have started to keep them in a storage bag. I am going to England next week and am planning to pack these and just throw them away after wearing. Several have suggested this and I am going to try it this time.

I replace my undies regularly (when thay have seen some wear but before thay are at the ragged stage). Rather than throw them away, I have started to keep them in a storage bag. I am going to England next week and am planning to pack these and just throw them away after wearing. Several have suggested this and I am going to try it this time.

Just how much space does your underwear take? (kidding, of course)

I've read about people doing this and can't imagine wearing old clothes on a cruise. The only clothes I take are clothes I love, I don't buy them if I don't love them. I don't go out and buy cruise clothes, either, I shop and pack from my closet.

One of the things I love about cruising is all the different clothes I get to wear! My husband is a light packer, for our 7 night cruise next month he could probably pack everything in a carry on size suitcase (not including his formal night suit which we will pack separately). I, on the other hand will have a BIG suitcase, a carry on size suitcase, a backpack and my formal dresses (packed in the same hang up case as DH's suit).

The long list is probably not even as long as mine. I'll bring a casual outfit for each day, excursion outfits (to wear over bathing suit), dresses for dinner and 2 formal dresses. I know I don't HAVE to bring all this, but to me it's part of the fun! I get to change outfits 3 times a day. And that's a good vacation in my eyes. DH will rewear 2-3 pairs of pants/shorts. I *may* rewear my favorite jeans/capris.

I do buy a lot of clothes pre-cruise, but I buy a lot of clothes anyway ;)

Fortunately we drive to our home ports! :)

Again, I know that I don't have to change this often and I don't have to pack so much. But I WANT to. I don't want to do laundry on vacation (different story if you're doing a 2 week cruise... I don't own that many suitcases :cool:)

I don't want to wear the same dress for both formal nights... I know no one will notice but me, but I want to wear my pretty dresses! (I don't buy new formal dresses, I have 4-5 that I've accumulated over the years that I choose from)

All this to say- to each their own. There are things on this list that I won't bring, and there are things on my list that aren't on this list.