HAL's share program for solo cruisers?

amenuensis

But when you think about it , it's really not fair. Why are "singles" always penalized in our society? I remember when my Dad died, my Mom said I had no idea how difficult it is because everything is geared to "doubles". Well, I do have some idea because I was single until I was 43!!!!;)

I know she did travel on freighters for many years in single cabins on her own and those were fairly priced. But I don't see why the mainstream cruiselines can't cater more to singles without doubling them up.

Or maybe it's because a lot of husbands and wives would want the single cabins, too!!!! Hahaha ... I'm cracking myself up:D

Or maybe it's because a lot of husbands and wives would want the single cabins, too!!!! Hahaha ... I'm cracking myself up:D
Probably closer to the truth than you care to think, Heather! Probably closer.

If there were many single cabins what's to stop a couple from booking two cabins---thereby getting two bathrooms, and plenty of space to dress without interruption?

Then there's the couple where one is---shall we say "louder"?---all night. Might be a very relaxing cruise if they book two cabins.

I'm well aware of exactly what your mom meant by a "couple's world". Of any cruise line HAL should be sensitive to the needs of the single cruiser---after all the old geezers demographic is more likely to be unmarried. And to a great extent I believe HAL is sensitive. But I also believe the economics (the bottom line) encourages double cabins with a single supplement and a single share program.

I wish they'd drop this "same sex" sharing. I'm tired of coming back to my cabin and finding some guy my age; it would be much nicer if someone of the opposite gender were sitting up in her bed reading a magazine.

I wish they'd drop this "same sex" sharing. I'm tired of coming back to my cabin and finding some guy my age; it would be much nicer if someone of the opposite gender were sitting up in her bed reading a magazine.

Careful what you wish for! You might want to narrow it down a little more than that;)

Archived