Google Map of downtown Victoria

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize that Butchart is that far from other points of interest. Will be printing this for reference. Thanks!:)

Partly why I did it. Most people a) think the island is small, and b) think Butchart Gardens is close (it isn't).

If you don't have the time (or want to spend the $30 + getting there) for Butchart, the Lt Gov's mansion has a beautiful (and free) garden, and is a mile from downtown.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize that Butchart is that far from other points of interest. Will be printing this for reference. Thanks!:)

I've added Royal Roads University to the map. It has both spectacular gardens and it's own castle (as featured in the X-Men movies).

I've added Royal Roads University to the map. It has both spectacular gardens and it's own castle (as featured in the X-Men movies).

Wow, knowing that Hatley has been featured in X-men makes me want to go there! I understand from the Hatley website that there is a fee, but is everyone allowed to go inside the campus?

It looks like it's also far from other places, what's the cheapest way to get to Hatley? (any local buses?)

Also, since this has its own garden which also seems nice from the pictures, is Butchart 'skippable'? I know that Butchart is really famous, and may be "THE" place to go to in Vancouver Island, but if seeing the gardens in Hatley will be similar to Butchart, then maybe we can skip it?

My original reason for going to Vancouver Island is to see Butchart (because it's famous and I like flowers), but Hatley seems more interesting because of .. XMEN! (especially for my husband who doesn't like flowers at all).

Thanks Scottbee, wouldn't have known about this if it weren't for your map!

The gardens at Royal Roads are NOTHING like Butchart Gardens. Yes they are nice but not in the same calibre as Butchart's. If your main reason for going to Vancouver Island was to see them, then go to Butcharts. Quite frankly Royal Roads is almost as far from the ship dock as Butcharts and Butcharts is much easier to find.

Wow, knowing that Hatley has been featured in X-men makes me want to go there! I understand from the Hatley website that there is a fee, but is everyone allowed to go inside the campus?

It looks like it's also far from other places, what's the cheapest way to get to Hatley? (any local buses?)

Also, since this has its own garden which also seems nice from the pictures, is Butchart 'skippable'? I know that Butchart is really famous, and may be "THE" place to go to in Vancouver Island, but if seeing the gardens in Hatley will be similar to Butchart, then maybe we can skip it?

My original reason for going to Vancouver Island is to see Butchart (because it's famous and I like flowers), but Hatley seems more interesting because of .. XMEN! (especially for my husband who doesn't like flowers at all).

All depends what you want to see. The Gardens at Butchart are larger and more impressive, however Royal Roads is still very nice. If you're an X-Man fan, you'll immediately recognize the buildingas Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

As for getting there, I'm pretty sure the Sooke bus (#61) goes right past it, but it's limited hours from downtown. You'd need to take any bus (generally the #50) to the "Western Exchange" and then get on a 52 or 61 bus. http://www.bctransit.com/ has maps and timetables, but unlike the Vancouver system, there's no route planner that I can see, so you'll have to piece it together. From the cruise terminal it would be an annoying 1hr bus ride,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatley_Park has a lot more info about the grounds at Royal Roads University.

Thanks Scottbee, wouldn't have known about this if it weren't for your map!

You're more than welcome. While I like gardens, and Butchart's are world-class, Victoria also has some hidden gems that aren't overcrowded with tourists. (such as Fort Rodd Hill, not far from Royal Roads/Hatley Castle -- also an interesting visit).

Thanks, I'm really interested in Hatley because of the X-men factor :D So might just skip downtown Victoria. Where should i go first-- From Swartz bay, proceed to Hatley first then Butchart after, or will going to Butchart first be wiser?

Thanks, I'm really interested in Hatley because of the X-men factor :D So might just skip downtown Victoria. Where should i go first-- From Swartz bay, proceed to Hatley first then Butchart after, or will going to Butchart first be wiser?

If you have time - and I really think you should make the time - downtown Victoria is lovely and should not be missed. It would be a shame to come all this way and not see the city.

hmmm, ok. so if i only have one whole day for this-- am thinking of taking the 9 am ferry to swartz, go to downtown victoria (perhaps have lunch there), go to hatley, then butchart where i plan to spend a bulk of my time. then take 7pm ferry back to tsawwassen. Will this itinerary be ok?

Nope this will be way too rushed. The 9 a.m. ferry will put in downtown Victoria at 11:30; 2 hours to wander and have lunch; 1.5 to 2 hours to travel to and wander around Hatley; 3 hours to travel to and wander Butchart's. It's now 6:30 p.m. and if you are still at Butchart's you will miss the 7:00p.m ferry. You should take an earlier ferry over in the morning and a later one back in the evening.

Nope this will be way too rushed. The 9 a.m. ferry will put in downtown Victoria at 11:30; 2 hours to wander and have lunch; 1.5 to 2 hours to travel to and wander around Hatley; 3 hours to travel to and wander Butchart's. It's now 6:30 p.m. and if you are still at Butchart's you will miss the 7:00p.m ferry. You should take an earlier ferry over in the morning and a later one back in the evening.

-- thanks for the tip:)

Archived