Lots of Luggage on Train?

whylion

My daughter is planning to study at Oxford this fall and will need to get from London to Oxford with two large bags and a smaller wheeled one. Is it possible for her to get all of this on a train from Paddington to Oxford by herself? Would a car be a better idea? Does anyone have a car service that they would recommend for this trip?

Thanks

I know this is a little off topic, but I've come to rely on this board for questioins about travel in England :)

My daughter is planning to study at Oxford this fall and will need to get from London to Oxford with two large bags and a smaller wheeled one. Is it possible for her to get all of this on a train from Paddington to Oxford by herself? Would a car be a better idea? Does anyone have a car service that they would recommend for this trip?

Thanks

I know this is a little off topic, but I've come to rely on this board for questioins about travel in England :)

How is she getting to Paddington? Are they suitcases or large duffels? Can she physically carry them?

We are visiting London together for a week, then I'm flying home and she's going on to Oxford. We could take a taxi to the train station together and I could help get her on the train, but after that she would have to be able to get herself off. She probably will have two large wheeled duffels and an smaller square carry on wheelie - too much to manage alone without a porter or luggage cart. And she's kind of small.

It would also be possible for us both to go to Heathrow and have her take a car or shuttle from there.

What do you think is the best option?

Thanks for the car service rec -- I will check them out

We are visiting London together for a week, then I'm flying home and she's going on to Oxford. We could take a taxi to the train station together and I could help get her on the train, but after that she would have to be able to get herself off. She probably will have two large wheeled duffels and an smaller square carry on wheelie - too much to manage alone without a porter or luggage cart. And she's kind of small.

It would also be possible for us both to go to Heathrow and have her take a car or shuttle from there.

What do you think is the best option?

Thanks for the car service rec -- I will check them out

OK Assuming that you will get a car service to Heatrow, if you both went she could take the car on to Oxford which would cut the cost a little, I use a car service bookings@elgcars.com . They are certainly well worth an email as they have a good price list. I have used them for 15 years. Alternatively you could put her on the train and she could get a trolley at Oxford as they may have some there, they don't have them at all stations, and then get a cab. Or you could all go to Oxford by train and then get a cab to Heathrow.

My daughter is studying at Oxford. The station is between the centre and the outskirts, I suspect your daughter would have to cope with stairs to get to the taxi rank. If you have time I would go and see Oxford yourself, drop her off and then head for Heathrow.

It is well worth the trip.

If not think a car would be the best idea -as the Capn suggests.

Hope your daughter enjoys her time at Oxford.

Archived