Regent Information-FAQ?

Cost of insurance is dependent on your ages. Unfortunately it goes up steeply when you turn 61.

Rick

Wait until you are 82 and have one or two "pre-existing" medical conditions! That is when you need it most and it is hardest to find.

I knew someone was going to bring up auto/home insurance, I almost went back and edited this in :D I think the risk involved (dollar wise and headache wise) is much higher should you not carry homeowners and auto policies. I am comfortable losing my vacation cost, but not comfortable losing my house.

I am lucky enough to have excellent health insurance, so this is not a worry for me.

I have considered a death, job loss, non-life threatening injury, etc-which would not cause me to cancel-but I had not thought about a disaster involving my home or jury duty, thanks for pointing that out ;) I'm not being snide, I really hadnt thought of it all-this is why I love this site, the discussion and feedback can provide very helpful info!

Crissy:

While we were transiting the Atlantic several years ago on the Sea Princess we were stopped while a pax and his wife were airlifted by heliocopter off the ship to Spain. I don't have a clue what that cost, but I would rather have an insurance policy that paid at least a portion of the cost than have my net worth and retirement funds at stake in case my health failed in mid ocean. It happens.

My DW and I are seriously considering the Regent cruise from Seward to Osaka this September. Our cruises have previously been on the old Renaissance (We helped it go broke in 2001.), Celebrity, HAL, and Royal Caribbean. We have enjoyed good accommodations on these ships. Suites on RC and HAL were great, and Concierge on Celebrity was OK.

I see that the Deluxe Suites on Mariner are slightly larger than Concierge on Celebrity, so that is fine for us. I will not spend the thousands more to have a large suite (cabin) on the Mariner.

We are well traveled, having lived in Europe and traveled on our own several times.

Here is my question. How good is Regent in their bookings for your air travel? We have a good regional airport here which has flights to Chicago, Dallas, and other gateway cities. We should be able to fly to Anchorage with one plane change, but I notice that some bookings on various airlines take you through two plane changes for XNA to ANC. We do not want this, and neither do we want to have to go to our XNA at some early morning hour. We are willing to pay the $100 deviation fee to get air schedules which best fit our needs.

So while the free air with the special offer for this trip is tempting, we want reasonable flight times without major hassles. The $999 for Business add-on also seems very attractive, but only if it is on a good airline and schedule.

We flew to China and Japan on JAL Business Class by way of American air miles in 2007. This is our preferred way of travel, by far.

So again, does anyone have thoughts about Regent's consideration of comfort for their air booked travelers? All our previous air has been booked by us, but the Regent offer seems very good, if with decent schedules.

Our major reason for any travel to Japan is to get there, and then spend several days on our own.

If Regent air has problems, we would rather book our own. AA now has one-way air miles for flights, so we can easily use these. Hopefully we could again use AA to fly JAL.

Posters have asked about TA's. We have used a web agent for years. We can contact by phone or e-mail. Service has been very good and prices are also good. I just saw that they are listed in Regent's "Find An Agent."

Our insurance has been with HTH, the same company as CMA. I use them because one does not have to buy until the final cruise payment to cover pre-existing conditions. If anyone wants to ask more, use bobe at uark dot edu. I also insure for less than the full trip cost, thus risking less than full coverage for only the last two weeks when cancellation costs the full cruise fare.

Thank all for suffering through all my lengthly post. I will be pleased if anyone answers my question about air.

Bob :cool:

Archived