Regent Information-FAQ?

Would it be possible to get a FAQ sticky going on this board for Regent? I normally live on the NCL section, but I am looking at Regent cruises for travel in the future and I am SO confused by all of it. :confused: I would really love to make the switch, but I get a headache trying to figure it all out. A general FAQ up top explaining how Regent works (pricing, booking, dining, cruising, etc) would be immensley helpful.

I guess we could begin with some answers to the general/common questions (I appreciate any input anyone could provide!):

~How do I book a Regent cruise? I dont see any options for online booking. I hate talking on the telephone...you could say I'm Telephobic :p

~How do all these promos and inclusions work? Free Air, 2for1, Free Excursions, Tips included, complimentary drinks.

~How do my flights get booked with the Free Air Promo? Do I get to choose times, etc? Does this include transfers to the ship from the airport?

~How do I find the Regent cruise to Bermuda? I was there earlier this month and saw a RSS ship docked in Hamilton, but dont see Bermuda on any itinerary.

~Ship Size-Since these ships are smaller than the big cruise lines, do you get more seasick? I sailed on the NCL Majesty, which is about half the size of mainstream ships and I was quite sick.

~Dining Rooms-I see many of the dining rooms are Reservation-only. Are these an extra charge? What is the process for making a reservation?

~I am starting to think it would be the best for me to find a TA to book this cruise, but since I am a seasoned cruiser on other lines, I feel like I would be a fool paying a TA to book after all these years. Any thoughts?

After all these questions are answered, I would be happy to create the FAQ and post, but what are the thoughts on getting it to be a sticky?

THANKS EVERYONE!! :D :D

Find yourself a good brick-and-mortar agent who's experienced in Luxury Cruises. This person can locate the best promos/deals based on your preferences, travel dates etc.

Gratuities are included in the tariff - none are expected on board

Alcoholic & nonalcoholic beverages are also included in your tariff. Regent pours some fairly decent wines every night at dinner (a white and a red - different ones each night to complement the menu); certain vintage or premium wines are available for sale.

With the "free air" promo or any of the standard air/sea programs - Regent will choose the routing and carrier. If you want to specify any flights/airlines there is a nonrefundable "air deviation" charge ($100 per person at last check) plus any difference in airfare that may apply. They do, however, have some good biz-class upgrades available at a discounted rate (vs what the airlines would give you if purchasing direct) from time to time.

Bermuda - IF YOU BOOK BY 5/31/09 - you can take advantage of 2-for-1 fares & get free air (from Regent's standard "gateway cities") on the RSSC Navigator 11 night cruise 4/25/10-5/6/10 sailing roundtrip from Ft Lauderdale. This itinerary includes an overnight in Hamilton (Bermuda) plus other ports of call.

"Small size"...hmmm. We sailed across the South Atlantic on the Navigator from Capetown (S Africa) to Rio de Janeiro last November/December. Of course you'll feel some motion but we did not notice any uncomfortable movement of this magnificent vessel. We loved the fact that the ship holds fewer than 500 guests - you actually get to know your fellow passengers and are treated as a person NOT a number. You'll rapidly get spoiled by the high level of attention you receive from each and every staff/crew member.

"Reservations only" dining - In keeping with Regent's "all-inclusive experience" there is no charge to dine in the specialty restaurants. IIRC you can make one dinner reservation online pre-cruise, and additional reservations once you're on board. This way everyone gets a chance to try the alternative restaurant(s). IMHO, though, the main dining room (Compass Rose) is an excellent choice. As dining/food is a very personal matter - you will see varying opinions across these boards on this issue.

We have sailed the Voyager (Baltic), Mariner (Alaska) & Navigator (Discovery Collection segment) over the last 3 years - cannot say we had "issues" with any of these voyages. We're booked for the Navigator again this year over Thanksgiving.

Now...GO GET YOURSELF A TRAVEL AGENT! <grin>

Hope to see you on board.

~I am starting to think it would be the best for me to find a TA to book this cruise, but since I am a seasoned cruiser on other lines, I feel like I would be a fool paying a TA to book after all these years. Any thoughts?

Hi,

You do not pay a TA for their services, the crusie line does with a comission.

rcb

Thats a great start Kwaj girl, Thanks! :D

Regarding Air travel-since they book the flights, do they book you with plenty of time to get there? Do they protect you if your flight is delayed, etc or is it suggested that insurance be purchased? What about transfers? This would be especially important when departing in a foreign country, where I wouldnt know how to get from the airport to the dock.

How about the 2for1 promo? Are the prices listed online reflective of those deals? How about the prices in the books they sent me? or should I expect to pay 2for1 on the brochure prices?

Regent will book you on flights that should "get you there" in plenty of time. They also handle the transfers, too. Be aware, however, that Regent cannot control what the airlines or Nature may do (eg; last-minute strike, maintenance problem of YOUR aircraft, bad weather, etc) but their Air/Sea department is usually pretty good about working these issues if/when they occur. Seasoned travelers will ALWAYS protect themselves and their travel investment with insurance (ask your agent for options here...sometimes the product offered by the cruiseline/tour company etc is not necessarily the best one for YOU).

A good travel agent will also check on the pricing of independently-purchased airfare (which may or may not be lower than that offered by the cruiseline, again, depending on the destination) and will likely recommend that you travel to your embarkation city/port the day before your ship sails to reduce the possibility of not getting to your ship in the event of unexpected travel delays/cancellations. Of course, if your air is not provided by the cruiseline you'll be responsible for getting to/from the ship (but again, your agent can check on the cost of cruiseline-provided transfers if you need them).

2-for-1's are based on the "brochure rate"- you'll notice online the "brochure fare" vs "early booking savings fare" which is generally the 2-for-1 rate.

So....time to find that TA yet?

I don't know why it is so hard to convince people that using a TA for booking cruises is not foolish. They have to stop thinking about booking airline tickets as the model. You SAVE money by booking a Regent cruise with a good TA, period. They know the ships and can answer all the questions the OP raised. By the way, the RSSC Web site does have an FAQ section, which answers some of the questions.

As others have said, get yourself a TA that specializes in Regent.

I've spent hours trolling through the Regent website, including FAQ and still had these questions and was quite confused. :o

I've never used a TA since I dont have a clue on how to find one, nevermind a good one, I do just about everything in my life online and have always traveled on lines that I knew just about everything there was to know about and was more than comfortable doing things myself.

I dont like to fly in order to cruise, so with Regent I am venturing out of my comfort zone in order to experience something special and different than I've been doing.

I dont purchase insurance since I would never cancel a trip-EVER, unless of course I was on deaths door and/or dangerously contagious and at that point, I wouldnt expect anything back anyway. I would consider that forfieting what I'd spent and I would be 100% ok with it. I also dont have high risk of things going wrong with getting there, as I usually leave from close to home and I am a super planner with getting where I need to go. I am ok with the risk of losing money, I am not really comfortable with the idea of paying for something that MIGHT happen but being GUARANTEED that I am paying for it :D This is not for everyone and I know it is probably hard for many of you to understand, this is just how I am. Please dont bash ;)

Of course, with this new adventure on Regent, I will look into the insurance, as this is going to be a larger investment and a larger risk, with the travel that comes along with taking this cruise.

Crissy:

If you really don't want to fly AND you have enough time...you could comfortably drive to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of days' time.

Re: insurance - also consider other reasons in addition to your own health why you might have to cancel at the last minute <when there's not a snowball's chance in he!! of getting any money back from the cruiseline> such as a death in your immediate family, your home being destroyed by a disaster such as a hurricane, or being called for jury duty <if they won't let you out>. ALSO - can you be certain that your own HEALTH INSURANCE policy covers you while you're outside the U.S.? Many employer-sponsored health plans do NOT provide emergency medical coverage "outside of network" if you have an HMO/EPO/PPO or outside the U.S. in general...and you can be fairly certain that they would not med-evac you if necessary. A GOOD travel insurance policy includes all of those coverages.

re: "I am not really comfortable with the idea of paying for something that MIGHT happen but being GUARANTEED that I am paying for it".....that also applies to your homeowners/renters/auto policies, no?

I've spent hours trolling through the Regent website, including FAQ and still had these questions and was quite confused. :o

Me too...Regent actually has less information on their site than quite a few others. I think NCL ties for hardly any info available

I dont purchase insurance since I would never cancel a trip-EVER, unless of course I was on deaths door and/or dangerously contagious and at that point, I wouldnt expect anything back anyway. I would consider that forfieting what I'd spent and I would be 100% ok with it. I also dont have high risk of things going wrong with getting there, as I usually leave from close to home and I am a super planner with getting where I need to go. I am ok with the risk of losing money, I am not really comfortable with the idea of paying for something that MIGHT happen but being GUARANTEED that I am paying for it :D This is not for everyone and I know it is probably hard for many of you to understand, this is just how I am. Please dont bash ;)

I had to laugh at this one. I am exactly the same way. I've taken so many trips and like you..."I'm going!" That's all there is too it *knocks on wood* I am an insurance agent and like you know and understand the risks. I'm ok w/it...but ask me to diversify my stock portfolio, can't do it! That being said I guess I do still have all my money :p

The advice about the TA is spot on. I've only booked direct once for my upcoming Carnival cruise, every other time there was more of an advantage by going w/a TA. I feel lucky 2 1 week cruises in just over 30 days from Alaska to S. Carribean, Regent to Carnival and earlier this year in the Med w/NCL. All very different lines....all will be a wonderful time.

Where and when are you looking at traveling?

Crissy:

If you really don't want to fly AND you have enough time...you could comfortably drive to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of days' time.

Re: insurance - also consider other reasons in addition to your own health why you might have to cancel at the last minute <when there's not a snowball's chance in he!! of getting any money back from the cruiseline> such as a death in your immediate family, your home being destroyed by a disaster such as a hurricane, or being called for jury duty <if they won't let you out>. ALSO - can you be certain that your own HEALTH INSURANCE policy covers you while you're outside the U.S.? Many employer-sponsored health plans do NOT provide emergency medical coverage "outside of network" if you have an HMO/EPO/PPO or outside the U.S. in general...and you can be fairly certain that they would not med-evac you if necessary. A GOOD travel insurance policy includes all of those coverages.

re: "I am not really comfortable with the idea of paying for something that MIGHT happen but being GUARANTEED that I am paying for it".....that also applies to your homeowners/renters/auto policies, no?

I knew someone was going to bring up auto/home insurance, I almost went back and edited this in :D I think the risk involved (dollar wise and headache wise) is much higher should you not carry homeowners and auto policies. I am comfortable losing my vacation cost, but not comfortable losing my house.

I am lucky enough to have excellent health insurance, so this is not a worry for me.

I have considered a death, job loss, non-life threatening injury, etc-which would not cause me to cancel-but I had not thought about a disaster involving my home or jury duty, thanks for pointing that out ;) I'm not being snide, I really hadnt thought of it all-this is why I love this site, the discussion and feedback can provide very helpful info!

I don't love travel insurance either, but I have to say I was delayed in NYC a couple of years ago due to weather (not the fault of the airline so they were not responsible) and got 2 days of hotel, meals, phone calls, taxis etc. covered.

Me too...Regent actually has less information on their site than quite a few others. I think NCL ties for hardly any info available

I had to laugh at this one. I am exactly the same way. I've taken so many trips and like you..."I'm going!" That's all there is too it *knocks on wood* I am an insurance agent and like you know and understand the risks. I'm ok w/it...but ask me to diversify my stock portfolio, can't do it! That being said I guess I do still have all my money :p

The advice about the TA is spot on. I've only booked direct once for my upcoming Carnival cruise, every other time there was more of an advantage by going w/a TA. I feel lucky 2 1 week cruises in just over 30 days from Alaska to S. Carribean, Regent to Carnival and earlier this year in the Med w/NCL. All very different lines....all will be a wonderful time.

Where and when are you looking at traveling?

Haha, I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy (as some would call us, I prefer interesting..) one out there! I just see it as I'm paying for a spot on this great trip, if I dont go-for whatever reason-I already paid for it and I'm out the money and I am OK with that! I don’t go on trips I can’t afford and I don’t expect my money back if I leave them hanging.

I would love to sail to Italy, Greece or Tahiti on Regent and am hoping to sail to the Southern Caribbean in the near future on NCL. Our backup vacation is Bermuda from Boston on NCL, we try to do that a few times a year-it is soooo convenient and there are amazing deals to be had. Our Regent trip will probably be in 2010, as I have 2009 pretty much full and I dont really have any certain month that I am looking at. We're flexible on dates, so which ever cruise seems to fit, that will be it.

I think I am going to try to find a TA, but I still dont know how to find one and make sure they are a GOOD one.

We are looking for a little something different and special and I think Regent is it! If I can only get it all figured out!

I don't buy travel insurance either. I understand the risks, but I have NEVER cancelled a trip. With as much travelling as I do, by now I have paid for at least one cruise with what I saved in trip insurance.

I would not dream of cruising without travel insurance.

I think most of us have seen (as they happen on most cruises) someone being airlifted off a ship for some reason or another. You can imagine what that must cost!

What about being stuck somewhere, either for medical or logistical (you got lost?) reasons and having to buy a last minute airline ticket to catch up with your ship or to go home.

Why would you consider risking a $10,000 fare part of the cost and not apply the same reasoning to a $400 insurance policy?

We have only cruised Regent six times (with two more booked) -- with the money we saved by not buying insurance, we have just about paid for another cruise.

Suggest going to the Regent website where you can find one of their recommended agents. Don't worry about whether they are in your hometown or not. I, too, hate talking on the phone. All of our trips have been booked via the internet. It is more important to have a TA that is famliar with Regent than to have one where you live.

In my opinion, finding a TA is the first thing. They will be able to accurately answer all of your questions.

I would not dream of cruising without travel insurance.

I think most of us have seen (as they happen on most cruises) someone being airlifted off a ship for some reason or another. You can imagine what that must cost!

What about being stuck somewhere, either for medical or logistical (you got lost?) reasons and having to buy a last minute airline ticket to catch up with your ship or to go home.

Why would you consider risking a $10,000 fare part of the cost and not apply the same reasoning to a $400 insurance policy?

Yes, I understand that this cruise will be significantly more of an investment than my regular cruises and I will be looking into insurance for this, as I am going to have to fly and leave my comfort zone.

I cant see myself ever purchasing insurance for my regular travels though, as those are a fraction of the cost of the Regent cruise and that is an amount of risk that I am comfortable with. I dont think anyone can really defend paying $400 for insurance on a $1000 trip (though I have NO idea how much insurance really is), when the likelyhood of something happening is very very small **KNOCK ON WOOD** I would much rather take a very small chance of losing the $1000 than spend $1400. Maybe its a good thing I'm not a gambler, or maybe I should be :rolleyes:

We have only cruised Regent six times (with two more booked) -- with the money we saved by not buying insurance, we have just about paid for another cruise.

Suggest going to the Regent website where you can find one of their recommended agents. Don't worry about whether they are in your hometown or not. I, too, hate talking on the phone. All of our trips have been booked via the internet. It is more important to have a TA that is famliar with Regent than to have one where you live.

In my opinion, finding a TA is the first thing. They will be able to accurately answer all of your questions.

I didnt realize the site offered TA contact information, thanks! :)

I cant see myself ever purchasing insurance for my regular travels though, as those are a fraction of the cost of the Regent cruise and that is an amount of risk that I am comfortable with.

Another thing to consider with ship travel is that, even though you yourself would travel unless you were on death's door, the ship personnel will have themselves and other passengers to worry about as well. Therefore, if you show obvious signs of contagious illness, you're potentially subject to quarantine and/or removal from the ship even if you're perfectly happy sitting by the pool coughing up a lung or two.

Here's a humorous but true story:

"SYDNEY, Australia (AP) ― A man who was quarantined along with 59 other passengers who fell ill on an Australian cruise ship says he deserves a refund because he wasn't sick, just hung over.

A cruise ship owned by P&O Cruises Australia docked in Sydney on Friday after an outbreak of gastroenteritis sickened dozens of passengers during a 10-night cruise along the Queensland state coast.

Sick passengers were quarantined to prevent the gastroenteritis, which causes vomiting and diarrhea, from spreading.

But passenger Michael Wanless said he was wrongly quarantined after doctors confused his hangover for the illness.

"Quarantine me, that's fair enough, but I think that I'm entitled to be reimbursed for that part of the trip," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. on Friday."

The example was paying $400 on a $10,000 trip, not a $1000.

I know that. Like I said, I have no idea what insurance on a $1,000 trip would be. I would be ok with paying $400 to protect $10,000 but NOT $1,000

Another thing to consider with ship travel is that, even though you yourself would travel unless you were on death's door, the ship personnel will have themselves and other passengers to worry about as well. Therefore, if you show obvious signs of contagious illness, you're potentially subject to quarantine and/or removal from the ship even if you're perfectly happy sitting by the pool coughing up a lung or two.

I'm sorry, I may be misreading what you wrote, but I specifically said I would NOT travel if I were contagious. Of course, others may not be so mindful and I understand there is a risk someone else might make me sick.

Yes, I would much rather take a very small chance of losing the $1000 than spend $1400. :)

You are absolutely correct! Less expensive trips cost proportionally more to insure (as you have to cover the fixed costs either way).

I just did online quotes for a $1000 and a $10,000 7-day cruise for a 40yo from California.

$1000 : $59

$10,000 : $430

Thank you, that does put things in perspective :)

BTW...how did this thread turn into the "To Buy Insurance or Not To Buy Insurance-That is the question!" thread ? :p

Not all my questions have been answered, but at least I know I want to find a TA and that should help me figure the rest out...otherwise I'll be back to bug you all again ;) Thanks for being good sports about my Regent-Newbieisms!

Here's an article from Town and Country magazine that will give you some pointers on finding a TA for your cruise. TA's who specialize in luxury cruising will give you extras -- like a free customized shore excursion (we had a private guide and car in Casablanca and a private naturalist in Costa Rica provided by our TA) or extra on-board credit, etc. Your TA is also the go-to person for any questions about any detail on your cruise. You will love Regent.

Archived