Regent Information-FAQ?

And another TA tip -- don't limit yourself to local brick and mortar TA's. Our TA is in another state. Everything can be handled online and on the phone. Also virtually all luxury cruise agencies have a website.

You can always contact several TA's and say you are considering a certain cruise on Regent and ask for proposals. Then you can compare the proposals and make a decision based on the various offers. Price isn't the only factor, the level of service matters. Find a TA who will be quickly responsive to your emails and/or calls --

Thanks Shorex...I've been looking for a TA to help with this, but its starting off slow...I submitted to be contacted by the only TA that was close to me on the Regent site "Find a TA"....the request confirmation said they would contact me within 48 hrs...its certainly been loger than that :rolleyes: So I guess I move on to trying something else...there is a TA in the center of my town, but its nearly impossible to get to due to traffic and parking, and I think they have pretty crazy hours, but I might get a chance to stop in this afternoon and see what they say. I've heard good things about them, so wish me luck! :D

Ebonybombshell-I was still unclear on how to book (if I didnt want to go through a TA) do you HAVE to call RSSC directly or is there an option somewhere to book online?

Also, some here have mentioned credits that their TA got them that paid for excursions-but I thought all excursions were included?

There were a few more, but I think a TA can help me :o

Yes, I think a TA could help. Of course, I can't recommend someone, but can suggest that you google with appropriate search terms that include "Regent" and "luxury" and "cruise". As someone else has suggested, talk to several of them on the phone or by email and ask questions, consider the answers, and then see if you find somebody you like.

I was still unclear on how to book (if I didnt want to go through a TA) do you HAVE to call RSSC directly or is there an option somewhere to book online?

Also, some here have mentioned credits that their TA got them that paid for excursions-but I thought all excursions were included?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to book a Regent cruise directly online. If you decide not to use a TA, then calling Regent is your alternative. But there's no reason to be concerned about doing so; they're friendly! ;) And chances are, talking to a Regent agent, like talking to a TA, will bring up some issue you might not have previously known or thought about.

In terms of excursions, Regent's "all free" marketing is incorrect. Depending on your itinerary, "most free" or "many free" would be more accurate. As a very rough rule of thumb, excursions which used to cost up to about $200 are now free, and excursions which used to cost more are now reduced by about $200. We're going to Alaska shortly, and a lot of excursions there involve boats, planes, or helicopters, so they're no quite moderately priced instead of being $300 or $400 or more as they used to be. But in many other ports around the world, all or nearly all the excursions are free.

And there's another wrinkle which has emerged in the past few month with TAs issuing onboard credits. Excursions can now be booked 120 days (and sometimes more) in advance. If you book any excursions which are not free, however, you must pay for them at the time you book them; you can't apply your future onboard credit to an excursion you want to purchase in advance. You can, instead, wait until you board the ship to book your excursion -- because then you can charge it to your shipboard account and use any credits you have to pay for it -- but the problem is that the excursions you want may be sold out by the time you're onboard. Perhaps Regent will change this policy in the future, as it is definitely not popular in our discussions here, but for now you have to make the choice: book early to get the excursions you definitely want and forego using your shipboard credits, or wait until you're onboard to book your excursions using your credits at the risk of some excursions being sold out. For this reason, I like the fact that my TA issues a credit in the form of a check they send us before the cruise rather than as a shipboard credit. If you're contacting some TA's in order to select one, this is a good area to ask about: do they provide any credits, and if so, how much and in what form.

-- Eric

One more issue with the "free" marketing, this time of air. Regent has now factored-out air taxes and fees, they are extra. They vary with the itinerary of course, but can be $200-$400 per person. And remember that if you "deviate" (e.g., come in to the initial port a day or two early), and use Regent Air, you pay a deviation fee of $100 per person. I presume this still pertains to "free" air.

I mentioned the credits -- I merely meant that I used mine for my shore excursions (my recent cruise was not one of the "free excursions" ones). I was just trying to point out that it was because of the TA that I got my various ship board credits which amounted to $800.

The credits could be used for any charges you had on board: gift shop (including clothes, jewelry & perfume) purchases, spa treatments, ultra-premium spirits/wine or even caviar. We also had some amazing entertainers on board with CDs for purchase -- I used shipboard credit for that as well, and the entertainers were available to sign the CDs, which I thought was a handy bonus.

If you can use a TA and end up with extras for essentially free, why not? Just MHO. :)

Crissy699, I would also not worry about wear the TA is located. Many of us use the same TA and that agency is not located near most of our residences. In this day and age, it is irrelevant. It is much more important to have a knowledgeable TA that you can trust. Also, our TA sends everything by FedEx or equivalent at no additional expense, and as I've said dozens of times, we pay less than we would if we booked directly with Regent.

I have never bought the travel insurance for trip cancellation. I think it is a comfort factor. If you would be uncomfortable without it, it's a good investment. If, not, well, it's okay to take your chances. Just be aware that all of the insurance plans have gotcha's that might mean you fall through the cracks anyway.

However, I do buy a blanket insurance plan to cover emergency medical or evacuation services. I've seen enough folks evacuated from cruises to want the coverage, and the cost is minimal.

As far as using a TA, you may find that it actually saves you money. Many of us use a luxury cruise agency that is not "brick and mortar" to the extent that it is not within driving distance. Some internet agencies are a nightmare, but others offer topnotch service by phone and email. My TA gets back to me with info a lot faster than my old "brick and Mortar" agency ever did. Not only is she up-to-date on all of the special offers, but she sends a small "rebate" with the final tickets. It's usually enough to pay for a tour or two even on fairly inexpensive trips. Plus she knows which cabins or decks to avoid, and which offer the best value for your money.

I've booked Regent cruises with and without a TA. From now on it will always be with a TA.

TA pros:

- expert on Regent, but will also point out other options for air, transfers, etc, since they are not 100% Regent focused.

- for our upcoming cruise, we're getting a $200 shipboard credit from the agency

- they are on top of your reservations (I guess, assuming you find a good TA) and if something comes up, they will contact you as well as call Regent on your behalf for things that may come up

- I can email my TA which is easier than dealing with Regent directly (assuming you pick a TA who does email- I would assume most do)

- note: I'm in California and my TA is in Illinois so there's really no requirement to have a local person.

Regent pros:

- expert on Regent

- at reservation time, you get immediate info on whether your cruise has availability, which suite, etc, whereas my TA had to call Regent then call me back

TA cons:

- I couldn't find any

Regent cons:

- For my most recent cruise, "disaster struck" about a week prior - Voyager was caught in some shipping lines on it's way across the Atlantic which delayed the ship from getting to FLL, delaying the start of my cruise by 1 day. Of course, most of us on cruise critic found out about this as it was happening, hours before Regent corporate -but my point is that I had to call Regent multiple times for info, and was told I'd get an email with further detail, and my Regent agent I booked with was no where to be found - I had to talk to whoever was working that day (I think my Regent agent was on vacation or something or she was tasked with calling all the TA's) - I never got the email, it was very painful getting info from them and I would have preferred to just work through one person. For passengers who had TA's, Regent did a great job notifying the TA's on what was going on (I think their communication mechanisms to TA's is far superior to the people who book directly with them) so it was probably a less painful ordeal for folks who booked through a TA.

Re: insurance, we've gotten insurance for our last 2 cruises. I think the price depends on the amount you are insuring as well as your age. We're both in our early 40's and were quoted $300 for an $8K trip which included the pre-existing medical conditions stuff. A good TA will also know which travel insurance makes the most sense for your personal situation which may not be the Regent insurance. We have traveled quite a bit and have only purchased insurance for these large ticket Regent cruises, and don't regret it one bit. It's a large enough expense that we feel better about it if we're insured in case something happens before or during the trip which is out of our control.

~Ship Size-Since these ships are smaller than the big cruise lines, do you get more seasick? I sailed on the NCL Majesty, which is about half the size of mainstream ships and I was quite sick.

When discussing the relative stability of ships, there are two primary factors: size (tonnage) and age (more modern ships tend to have better designs with respect to stability).

Size can be misleading with Regent. You mentioned your problems on the NCL Majesty which carries 1400 passengers. The RSSC Voyager and Mariner each carry 700 passengers, but are 25% larger than the Majesty (50,000 tons versus Majesty at 40,000 tons). Furthermore, the Mariner (2001) and Voyager (2003) are much newer and (probably) are inherently more stable than a ship built in 1992.

That said, any ship out there will experience considerable motion on some cruises (trans-Atlantic crossings, Pacific crossings, windward coasts like US Pacific coast, etc.). Avoid those and stick with (generally) benign cruises (Alaska inside passage, Mediterranean, Caribbean) and you'll improve your chances of a smooth cruise.

Our TA is in Texas -- we never buy insurance. With the amount of cruises we have taken, the savings by not buying insurance has paid for another cruise. In terms of our TA, they handle everything -- if there are changes to itinerary, price, etc.. . . . . they are on top of it!

Hey kwaj girl..did you say thanksgiving on the Navigator? Us too! (My husband and I). It's our first time on a Regent cruise..only other cruise was on Windstar years ago. All of those questions Chrissy699 was asking would have been mine last week.. but I'm up to speed now..well, almost anyway.

Still a little confused about informal/cc casual etc/what exactly it IS a butler does..and I'm also a little worried about getting seasick, but I hope my seabands and ginger will help..:p

Hey kwaj girl..did you say thanksgiving on the Navigator? Us too! (My husband and I). It's our first time on a Regent cruise..only other cruise was on Windstar years ago. All of those questions Chrissy699 was asking would have been mine last week.. but I'm up to speed now..well, almost anyway.

Still a little confused about informal/cc casual etc/what exactly it IS a butler does..and I'm also a little worried about getting seasick, but I hope my seabands and ginger will help..:p

Liindajean, I've done Windstar and Regent, and I think the Regent ships are probably more stable than the Windstar schooners, so if you were ok on Windstar you should be fine Regent on the seasickness front -- unless you only ever sailed very calm waters on Windstar, and then you hit very rough water in Regent. :)

The term "informal" messes up a lot of people (my mother included); a better way to think of it is "semi-formal" -- dressier than CC casual, but not quite as dressy as "formal." :) CC casual is basically what Windstar is ALL of the time (they call it "Casual Elegance"), except Regent recently "outlawed" polo/golf shirts for CCC. What the women wear on Windstar for dinner is appropriate for Regent CCC. :cool:

I can't reliably answer to what a butler does, as I've never had one, but I've heard they'll make reservations for you, bring you hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon and maybe take care of laundry/pressing for you... :confused:

Thanks for the insight Ikakers, I appreciate your answers.Windstar WAS on calm waters..alaska's inside passage. I was only sick first day or so..

Embarking..do we just walk on or are there separate lines depending on your cabin booking?

Guess I'll find out for myself..but not till November!

Thanks for the insight Ikakers, I appreciate your answers.Windstar WAS on calm waters..alaska's inside passage. I was only sick first day or so..

Embarking..do we just walk on or are there separate lines depending on your cabin booking?

Guess I'll find out for myself..but not till November!

There is only one line (and generally, it isn't a line -- you can almost just walk on board). There are people waiting to embark at noon -- there are seats for you to wait. Embarkation is generally very easy with Regent:)

Regent had put us up at a hotel the night before; they bused us to the ship around 11am. Due to the buses arriving at the same time, there was a line at embarkation but it went very fast as they had several people checking pax in. Besides, the standing in line gave you a chance to drink the champagne you were handed when you boarded. :p

I see that others had the chance to respond to your queries before I did...<sigh, work gets in the way!>

You will love this line. This will be our 4th Regent voyage (2nd on the Navigator). SeaBands & ginger work for many people but you may still want to check with your personal physician for prescription/OTC recommendations for motion sickness just in case. We tend to follow the "mind over matter" concept...If you don't mind, it don't matter! Seriously, just keep a little food in your stomach at all times (gee, THAT will be tough to do on this voyage!) and keep your mind occupied with everything else going on...you'll be just fine!

We plan to fly to Orlando on Friday evening - perhaps go to Disney (haven't been there since we left FL in '99), visit some old friends & neighbors in Melbourne and then drive down Monday morning. Please go over to the RollCall board and join the fun!

Any more ?s....just ask away!

Kwaj girl

forgot to address the butler issue....

We had one on the Navigator last Nov/Dec Capetown to Rio de Janeiro. Didn't really use his services too much but he will bring your requested bottles of liquor & a preloaded iPod for the docking station in your suite. There was also a "butler service menu" IIRC - it was a list of hors d'oeuvre plates that could be brougt each evening before dinner - you could either get the "selection of the day" or request specific ones per your preference. The butlers were also in the hallways to pour wines during the famous Block Party that happens early each voyage. He also took care of our drycleaning/pressing needs on embarkation day and would unpack for you if you wish (no thanks).

We don't have a butler this November...but I think we're free some evening to join you for predinner cocktails & hors d'oeuvres! <grin>

I would not dream of cruising without travel insurance.

I think most of us have seen (as they happen on most cruises) someone being airlifted off a ship for some reason or another. You can imagine what that must cost!

What about being stuck somewhere, either for medical or logistical (you got lost?) reasons and having to buy a last minute airline ticket to catch up with your ship or to go home.

Why would you consider risking a $10,000 fare part of the cost and not apply the same reasoning to a $400 insurance policy?

Agree, we live in Houston and last year Hurricane Ike resulted in friends not being able to get out of town for their cruise............they had insurance. Of course my husband is in the business (risk manager) and he thinks it's a rip!! So...........we currently are in a stale mate with regard to the purchase. Time will tell...........

We have taken 60 cruises on "non-luxury" cruise lines like Princess & RCCL and have never bought insurance. Investment was just not that great. We did get insurance for our Jul 1st Mariner cruise as $7000 is bigger investment. We also got insurance for our Jan 13th World Cruise on Voyager as $140,000 is HUGE investment. (WC insurance was $9000, by the way). My wife and I are 61 and in good health but I mainly worry about parents health passing away or us being in accident of some kind. It's personal choice and dependent on how much you are prepared to lose if something comes up. Cost of insurance is dependent on your ages. Unfortunately it goes up steeply when you turn 61.

Rick

Archived