Looking for Shore Excursions Advice

bruingary

I am treating and arranging a delayed Honeymoon for my Daughter & and her Husband. To date I have booked this B2B cruise on the Diamond Princess 6/20-7/4( two days in each of 3 ports-Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican, 2 trips to College Fjord and 2 trips to Glacier Bay) for them, purchased airline tickets LAX to Vancouver, and booked the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver 6/19 ( won a bid on Priceline). I am now looking into shore excursions. I have been on this Alaska route twice, my DD once, her DH has never been on a cruise. To Alaska I have sailed the Fairsea (Sitmar-previous name for Princess) and on the Star Princess ( 7 years ago). Our experience: Skagway- the train once and renting a car for the drive to the Yukon on the second cruise; Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier, and thanks to BudgetQueen at the time a Capt Larry Orca whale watch- numerous whales breaking water and Coastal Helicopter glacier landing; Ketchikan- On our own, the creeks were loaded with Salmon at the time.

Shore Excursions:

Whittier-They will be there early AM to 9:30PM between cruises. (It was a godforsaken place in the Sitmar days). Which, if any, of the PWS Glacier Cruises would you choose? Has anyone been to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center? Opinion? How would you get there?

My son-in law would like to do a dog sled ride. Any opinions on a Heli/ Dog Sled tour Skagway or Juneau. Anyone do the wheeled sled rides?

My Daughter wants to do whale watch (she was on the Capt Larry jet boat). She has a new camera with 300mm lens.

They both want a Heli excursion.

While I am pre spending their inheritance I might as well throw in a seaplane or ? in Ketchikan. Any suggestions?

Go Bruins!

Gary

Well Gary, you're a very generous man - any chance you're considering adoption;):D

I'll try to chime in on a few points. I had the chance to do both a wheeled dog sled excursion in Skagway and a heli/dog sled tour in Juneau. There was absolutely NO comparison! The dog sled on the snow/ice is absolutely incredible, you feel like you're going that much faster. Just note, if either of them has a back problem, it might be a problem. I remember going though some, we'll call them ruts, in the snow and you'd be airborne for a moment then come slamming back to earth. You even get a chance to "mush" the dogs yourself. If it's an option financially, kill two birds with one stone in Juneau and send them up to the top of the mountains in a helicopter to ride with the dogs.

I've heard good things about the whale watching tours in Juneau although, never had a chance to go myself.

I would also recommend looking into the White Pass Railway in Skagway as it's a perennial favourite. If they're the adventurous sort one of the kyaking tours might be a good thought. I have a friend in Shore Excursions who swears by Tatoosh Island kyaking excursions. Then again, she also enjoyed snorkelling in Ketchikan (full drysuit mind you):cool:

One thing, caution them about overdoing it tour wise. It's a common problem, the brain wants to do more things than the body can handle. I spent an entire summer up north and still try to do more than I should:rolleyes:

Whatever they do, they're sure to enjoy such a fabulous trip.

The "best" Whittier, PWS boat tour is Esther Passage with Prince William Sound tours. Works out well with at Whittier day visit, leaving around 11am. The wildlife center, is not wild. :) If animal viewing is a priority for them, then consider it. A car rental would be the most convenient, they then could add a look at Anchorage, Portage Glaicer visitor center, the Arm, etc?? Probably not having to return before the 6:30pm tunnel opening??

If the glacier dog sledding is a priority, then I would book it the first time they are in either Juneau or Skagway, they would then have 3 more chances for a booking if canceled. :) Out of Skagway there is TEMSCO, out of Juneau TEMSCO, Coastal, ERA. Whale watching out of Juneau. There is NO comparism to a cart ride.

Ketchikan has excellent floatplane trips available to Misty Fjords.

Most people say book tours early but is it also possible to book tours on the docks after you arrive?

I always recommend having all your plans and reservations in place before you leave.

Many tours just are not available at the last minute. This option is best if you want city bus type tours etc. Very risking waiting for anything with limited space, like flights.

IF it doesn't matter to you if you go or not, then wait and see what catches your eye. But for those with touring preferences, don't waste your limited port time, trying to figure out what you want to do, and then trying arranging it.

Archived