booking a cruise

Thinking of booking a cruise on Carnival for Nov. time frame. What experiences have you had booking directly through Carnival instead of using a travel agent? Is it easier and cheaper to book directly or is a travel agent the way to go? Any input would be helpful:D

You can always book 'direct', thru CCL then transfer the booking to a TA for possible additional discounts.. :) However, you can no longer deal directly with CCL (after transferring a booking), as your TA has the booking..:p

Sometimes it works out better, sometimes NOT.. We never know!:rolleyes:;)

You can always book 'direct', thru CCL then transfer the booking to a TA for possible additional discounts.. :) However, you can no longer deal directly with CCL (after transferring a booking), as your TA has the booking..:p

Sometimes it works out better, sometimes NOT.. We never know!:rolleyes:;)

Carnival does not allow this anymore, they stopped in on May 15th. Their employees were doing all the work and the TA's were just getting the commission. I always book directly with Carnival and the reason is most TA's do not like to have to lower your cabin price because it is less commission for them, whereas you can call your PVP at Carnival (and if you are lucky to get one like mine) they will lower it for you with no problems. My PVP calls me to tell me that the room rate has lowered and gives me the credit.

I have booked both ways, and prefer dealing with CCL direct. This way there is no "middle man" to deal with when making changes or for the price drop if booking Early Saver - trying to get my price drops for my upcoming cruise has been a bit of a chore with having to deal through my TA all the time.

I prefer to book thru CCL directly. That way if I have any questions or if I'm lucky enough, qualify for a price drop I can just call Carnival 800 number and get it taken care of right then and there. After using a TA for my first cruise, I just decided it wasn't worth it to have a "middle man".

Thanks for all your inputs. After getting a price quote through a TA, and then calling CCL, it is alot cheaper doing it yourself. Yeah, the TA's are getting a little "cut" even though they say they are not or won't admit it.

Thanks for all your inputs. After getting a price quote through a TA, and then calling CCL, it is alot cheaper doing it yourself. Yeah, the TA's are getting a little "cut" even though they say they are not or won't admit it.

Did you book thru a TA or thru Carnival? :confused: (yes of course TAs get commission).

I prefer booking directly with Carnival because that way I can deal with them directly if I have things I need to change or add to my booking. If you book through a TA, you must go through them because Carnival isn't allowed to speak to you about your cruise if booked with a TA.

I generally prefer using a TA and avoid the "gobbledegook" you sometimes get from dealing directly with the cruise lines. Many times, the TA will be able to hook you up with others of their clients on the same cruise and they get you a "group price" which may beat the price you get from the cruise line. Also, I let them do any of the "dirty work" that occurs in booking or with cabin assignments, etc. etc. A few years ago I had a big problem with a cruise line (which shall remain nameless) for an OBC that I was supposed to get and was not shown on my final bill. I called the cruise line direct and got the run around from them. I dumped the problem with my TA, and guess what??? The OBC came a week or so later from the cruise line via a check. Can you believe that???......actually getting a check from a cruise line is almost impossible. But my TA handled it and it worked. :rolleyes:

Archived