ESTA Visa Waiver Problem

Have tried to go to the ESTA website this morning to register the 4 of us and the website is down !!!

Done a search on Google and it appears this is a common occurence and it is sometimes down for days !

Contacted US Embassy in London and a very rude (English) woman said "Yes sir we are well aware of this what do you expect us to do about this"?

Supposing this website is down for days to come does this mean we wont be able to travel ?

Also, do you need to print ESTA confirmation off once complete or is it just a reference number that you receive ?

Have tried to go to the ESTA website this morning to register the 4 of us and the website is down !!!

Done a search on Google and it appears this is a common occurence and it is sometimes down for days !

Contacted US Embassy in London and a very rude (English) woman said "Yes sir we are well aware of this what do you expect us to do about this"?

Supposing this website is down for days to come does this mean we wont be able to travel ?

Also, do you need to print ESTA confirmation off once complete or is it just a reference number that you receive ?

As far as I understood the information about ESTA it´s mandatory now. However they say that if you happen to travel without ESTA your entry into the US might be delayed or denied. This to me says that it is possible to travel without, but not advisable. I don´t know how great the chances are to be denied or not. However ESTA is not a guarantee to be allowed into the US either. The final say has the immigration officer.

I received a confirmation number and did print out the confirmation. I don´t know if I actually need the print out, but will take it with me in case.

More information is that it´s recommended to complete ESTA at least 72 hours before travelling, but it can be done last minute.

Good luck to you and hopefully the site is up soon again.

Makes me glad that I already applied in Dec. for my trip next week.

As far as I understood the information about ESTA it´s mandatory now. However they say that if you happen to travel without ESTA your entry into the US might be delayed or denied. This to me says that it is possible to travel without, but not advisable. I don´t know how great the chances are to be denied or not. However ESTA is not a guarantee to be allowed into the US either. The final say has the immigration officer.

I received a confirmation number and did print out the confirmation. I don´t know if I actually need the print out, but will take it with me in case.

More information is that it´s recommended to complete ESTA at least 72 hours before travelling, but it can be done last minute.

I wish I had completed it weeks ago :confused:

However, they recommend that you complete 72 hours prior to departure and it is still 7 days and you don't expect US Goverment websites to be so unreliable.

I wish I had completed it weeks ago :confused:

However, they recommend that you complete 72 hours prior to departure and it is still 7 days and you don't expect US Goverment websites to be so unreliable.

I think the key word is "at least" 72 hours prior to departure. As it´s good for two years I just went ahead. I´m pretty sure the site will be up during the next 7 days again. I wouldn´t worry too much right now.

I think the key word is "at least" 72 hours prior to departure. As it´s good for two years I just went ahead. I´m pretty sure the site will be up during the next 7 days again. I wouldn´t worry too much right now.

Yeah sure I know it's "at least" 72 hours prior but just assumed 7 days was "at least" 72 hours prior to departure :)

You have 7 days, it is not usually down that long.

For anyone else using ESTA I would really really recommend doing this as soon as you book the cruise, (as others said, it is valid for 2 years or as long as your pasport is valid, whichever is the shorter) if there is any issue and it comes back with a decline and you need a visa then you have time to get it, at 72 hours before it will be impossible to get a visa.

For anyone else using ESTA I would really really recommend doing this as soon as you book the cruise, (as others said, it is valid for 2 years or as long as your pasport is valid, whichever is the shorter) if there is any issue and it comes back with a decline and you need a visa then you have time to get it, at 72 hours before it will be impossible to get a visa.

Please don't say that :eek:

When you finally get your ESTA complete, you do not get any email confirmation, so when you get to the last screen with your confirmation number, I would take a screen grab of that and keep it with you.

It is good for 2 years.

The hotel and flight section is not mandatory.

I have just, within the last 30 mins, been on the ESTA site & completed mine & my Family's applications. It took a little while to get on the site (I googled ESTA & found the US Gov website). On the plus side, it took less than 2 minutes a person.

I have just, within the last 30 mins, been on the ESTA site & completed mine & my Family's applications. It took a little while to get on the site (I googled ESTA & found the US Gov website). On the plus side, it took less than 2 minutes a person.

Yep the site is up again, I was able to access it now as well.

So true!.....My son is a US citizen (as well as a British one) and we had to go to the American Embassy in London only 2 weeks ago to renew his passport before we fly to the US in early July. It was a nightmare even trying to get an appointment...we were starting to get worried that we'd left it too late and that was 3 months ahead of our trip. :eek: If there's a chance you might need a visa...allow plenty of time.

Try getting on a plane without one, the airlines are fined heavily if they fly someone to the US who does not have the required paperwork, so tend to be over cautious when letting people board

Archived