Is it important to book your tours before getting on ship?

Ironsline

Does anyone know even one person who ever missed a ship in Alaska because of an independent excursion not getting them back on time? I've never heard of even one, only the thought that it "could" happen.

Working with the Alaska cruise industry for 17 years until retiring 2 years ago, I never heard of one (but I've heard of many close calls :) ). I have, though, seen people rushing back to the ship with their big bags of discount t-shirts just as the gangplank was being pulled.

Working with the Alaska cruise industry for 17 years until retiring 2 years ago, I never heard of one (but I've heard of many close calls ). I have, though, seen people rushing back to the ship with their big bags of discount t-shirts just as the gangplank was being pulled.

Seems to be more the other way around. When we did Bering Sea Crab tour, a couple ran up to the dock and was shouting at us after the ship was launched and on our way. Obviously they were late for their tour. Tour operators ignored them.

Whale watching in Juneau, another couple was late. Tour operators waited for them. Because of that, everyone else and we lost 40 minutes out of our short port-of-call in Juneau.

People are going to need to understand that 1 o'clock means 1 o'clock. If that's not laid-back enough for you, get a private tour.

Working with the Alaska cruise industry for 17 years until retiring 2 years ago, I never heard of one (but I've heard of many close calls :) ). I have, though, seen people rushing back to the ship with their big bags of discount t-shirts just as the gangplank was being pulled.

I guess that's my point. It sounds like a big benefit to book through the cruiselines so that that ship won't leave without you. That is, until you realize that it isn't very likely that you'll be too late for the ship in the first place.

Well we read enough to be OK with doing Captain Larry and Orca Eco Whale Watching. I know that things do happen but must trust in the Lord (and the ship captain) to get you back on time. We are on the CC Spirit and get in at 0700 hours and leave out at 11pm so that gives us plenty of time. Thanks for all of the advise that everyone gave. Now must start a thread on best places to eat.

It's not just cabins in Alaska that cruise lines have been having trouble selling. Also hurting are bookings for Alaska shore excursions -- traditionally a big money-maker in the industry.

In a sign of just how bad the situation has become, Royal Caribbean and sister line Celebrity Cruises today unveiled an unusual last-minute discount for customers who book Alaska shore excursions online in advance of upcoming voyages.

Sign of the times: Royal Caribbean, Celebrity slash prices on ...

May 22, 2009

There are certain tours I want to do at our port-of-calls, panning for gold, salmon bake, whale watching. Is it very important to book these before we get on the ship? Do these type of tours go very quickly? We will be on the Carnival Spirit which has around 2,000 passengers on it. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Happy cruising!

Hello; You can maximize your time in port, as well as save money, by reading, surfing the net, for each port you will be visiting-know what are the things worth seeing and doing-especially if you are part of a group of 4 or more, you can book your own tours directly with tourcompanies-they accept bookings via email or phone call. Some itineraries, like the Alaska trips have plenty of suppliers-but on some cruises, the best trips offered by the cruise lines will fill up fast-I was on a cruise that stopped in Alexandria, Egypt-the full day tour that took you to cairo, the museum, the sphinx,the pyramids, was one of the best tours I ever took, and it sold out on the 2 nd day out of port. I had not done my homework, so I didn't realize that there are also a lot of tour companies in Alexandria-anyway, I did get one of the last spots on the tour and was glad I did. regards, r.

I quite agree in most cases. I am very apprehensive about missing my ship at any port of call. If it's a cruse ship sponsored tour the advantage is sure to ship if the tour is late. The disadvantage is price. Ship sponsored tours are always almost double the cost. my advise is that you book your tours early and find a reputable private operator who will give you a guarantee on the tour quality and return time.

There are other disadvantages besides price, namely the number of people on the excursion and the size of the boat or bus used. Since cruise lines offer excursions to 2,000+ passengers, they are forced to use the largest boats and buses.

However, the independents use small boats (e.g., 6 passengers for whale watching out of ISP versus the cruise line boat of 130 passengers), and small vans in Skagway (versus a cruise line tour bus that cannot make numerous stops for photo opportunities).

Don't you like CCers enough to even be on the same excursion with us? :( *sniff, sniff*

Gawd, not what I meant !!!! I meant don't buy them out before I get on them, ya know???? so Sorry, I love CCers, that's why I'm here. LOL

interesting article Sea Dog...read the whole thing. So basically if one is on a budget and wants to avoid the crowds and the expense, just wander into port alone, find your own transportation, if necessary, although walking does well in many, and hopefully find someone, or a book, willing to share information about the history, etc. I can see it, I could almost do it. Thankfully, this time around, I have the means to take advantage of a tour company's knowledge and experience, as well as their hefty investment in gear, and be able to be directed thru an excursion. Just like anywhere, you get what you pay for, be it Mcdonalds or a fine steak restaurant, or walk, cab, or limo, fly coach or first class....<sigh>...whatever works for you and your family, and the article indicates there is more than one way to do many things in port. Although, its surely not recommended in Jamaica.

Do you really need to pay for this excursion? To find that answer, better to start with a guide book that isn't fronted by the cruise industry and assess the situation from there.

Shore excursions can sink your cruise

We followed this advice the last time we were in Alaska. BAD advice!! We saw very little in the way of wildlife. A couple of whales from a distance and a few bald eagles. That's it!! Although I agree that most of the cruise line excursions in the Caribbean are overpriced, boring bus trips, this is definitely NOT the case in Alaska. When in Alaska, I want to see wildlife; just walking around town doesn't cut it.

How else would you expect to see the Kenai Fjords National Park (when your ship leaves just prior to 6 pm)? A cruise line excursion is your only option. Although I would not take the cruise lines' whale watching tours (they have 130 passengers), just walking in town just doesn't cut it. In order to see whales, you need to go on an excursion with an independent tour company.

In many parts of the world, tours are an absolute must -- whether sponsored by the cruise lines or by independent tour companies.

We followed this advice the last time we were in Alaska. BAD advice!! We saw very little in the way of wildlife. A couple of whales from a distance and a few bald eagles. That's it!! Although I agree that most of the cruise line excursions in the Caribbean are overpriced, boring bus trips, this is definitely NOT the case in Alaska. When in Alaska, I want to see wildlife; just walking around town doesn't cut it.

How else would you expect to see the Kenai Fjords National Park (when your ship leaves just prior to 6 pm)? A cruise line excursion is your only option. Although I would not take the cruise lines' whale watching tours (they have 130 passengers), just walking in town just doesn't cut it. In order to see whales, you need to go on an excursion with an independent tour company.

In many parts of the world, tours are an absolute must -- whether sponsored by the cruise lines or by independent tour companies.

The advice is to do your home work. That is not "BAD advice" in my opinion. She states:

To know if you're getting a rubber-stamp shore excursion, and whether you could do it cheaper without wearing the yoke of the cruise line, you have to do some advance research.

She even recommends consulting a few websites with message boards that dissect cruise products (such as Cruise Critic). That is not "BAD advice" in my opinion.

She does state that excursions in "most small ports, such as in virtually all of the ones in the Caribbean and Alaska" are "simply not a necessity". I don't know which ports or which excursions she was referring to but she didn't include all ports or all excursions. When I reviewed the list of Alaskan excursions that my cruise line offered, a large percentage of it was garbage.

I plan on taking some Alaskan excursions myself and I want to see wildlife also. I don't think the article is suggesting otherwise. It appears that you did not read the article thoroughly because the advice is not about "just walking around town".

The advice is to do your home work. That is not "BAD advice" in my opinion. She states:

She even recommends consulting a few websites with message boards that dissect cruise products (such as Cruise Critic). That is not "BAD advice" in my opinion.

She does state that excursions in "most small ports, such as in virtually all of the ones in the Caribbean and Alaska" are "simply not a necessity". I don't know which ports or which excursions she was referring to but she didn't include all ports or all excursions. When I reviewed the list of Alaskan excursions that my cruise line offered, a large percentage of it was garbage.

I plan on taking some Alaskan excursions myself and I want to see wildlife also. I don't think the article is suggesting otherwise. It appears that you did not read the article thoroughly because the advice is not about "just walking around town".

The bad advice that I was referring to was just to walk around town or just grab a cab. That may work well in the Caribbean, but not in Alaska.

There are several absolutely wonderful excursions offered by the cruise lines in Alaska:

1. Kenai Fjords National Park (catamaran tour with tons of wildlife)
  2. Columbia Glacier
  3. Bering Sea Crab Tour (from the Deadliest Catch series on the Discover Channel)
  4. Photo Safari by Land & Sea

I'm booked on a Celebrity Alaska cruise in September and even though I usually don't book excursions way ahead, I had already booked one excursion to take advantage of the 5% off that they were offering.

Now I am re-thinking things because I have heard from a number of people that there are better tours offered by independant operators. It isn't so much the savings in dollars as it is the smaller groups that appeal to me.

Has anyone cancelled a cruiseline excursion after booking it and if so how hard is it and how long does it take to get your money back?

I'm booked on a Celebrity Alaska cruise in September and even though I usually don't book excursions way ahead, I had already booked one excursion to take advantage of the 5% off that they were offering.

Now I am re-thinking things because I have heard from a number of people that there are better tours offered by independant operators. It isn't so much the savings in dollars as it is the smaller groups that appeal to me.

There are several great independent tours, in addition to the cruise line excursions I mentioned above:

1. Misty Fjords Floatplane with Island Wings (Ketchikan)
  2. Harv & Marv Whale Watching (Juneau)
  3. Dyea Dave Tours or Chilkoot Tours trip into the Yukon territory (Skagway)
  4. F.I.S.H.E.S. or Glacier Winds whale watching; or TECKK Tours bear viewing (Icy Strait Point)

Has anyone cancelled a cruiseline excursion after booking it and if so how hard is it and how long does it take to get your money back?

Hi,

I've cancelled a couple of times with Royal Caribbean with no problems, once with only about 24 hours notice. Perhaps they were happy to do it because I cancelled one in order to book another or because they had a waiting list of people who hadn't pre-booked. In any case they credited the shipboard account with the cancelled tour and then added the new tour.

Cheers

T&C

The bad advice that I was referring to was just to walk around town or just grab a cab. That may work well in the Caribbean, but not in Alaska.

There are several absolutely wonderful excursions offered by the cruise lines in Alaska:

The advice was a "walk around town or just grab a cab" is comparable or better than some of the shore excursions offered by the cruise lines. There are some excellent off-shore excursions as well that can be done on your own. The advice is to do your home work and not rely on the cruise ship to take care of everything.

I disagree that a walk or a cab ride will not work in Alaska. There are some excellent walking tours or sights that are a short cab ride from the docks that can be easily done by on your own, just as there are some excellent off-shore excursions. In some ports you can actually do both if given the time. It's a matter of personal preference.

I was VERY disappointed with the salmon bake. They had NO sockeye or king salmon. All they had was silver salmon (COHO), which has a very mild taste.

If you book a cruise line's whale watching excursion, be prepared for a boat with 100 - 130 passengers. With that many people, it can make it difficult to move quickly from one side of the boat to the other -- in order to snap that once-in-a-lifetime photo. The independents, however, typically use boats that hold approximately 6 passengers. This also allows for a much more personalized experience.

akwhalewatching has small boats in Juneau #9073215859

Archived