Carnival Shows and the costumes for kids?

ChaylaT

HI, we will be going on the Splendor in July. Our first cruise. I have three kids, ages 8,7, and 4 and we would like to see some of the night shows. Are the costumes inappropriate for kids? Are the women topless? I haven't heard anything about the shows. Thanks!!:)

On our last one I noticed camp carnival brought the kids and sat them in the very front row. Can't remember the name of the show I only got to see bits of pieces of it because the flashing lights triggered a migraine. Some of it reminded me more of a stripper show with the dance moves they were doing down in the front of the stage right in front of the kids. There were some very happy boys in the front row.

Only you can decide if it's appropriate for you kids or not but be aware they may go there with the camp so you'd need to tell them you don't want them attending if you make that decision.

Our show on the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago showed plenty of behinds (men and women) in thongs. There were also (while in thongs) several scenes that had the women facing the audience and doing moves similar to what I've seen in, um, "other" venues, i.e. slow opening of legs to a wide open position, etc. It left little to the imagination. Although, let me caveat that by saying that we were sitting in the 2nd row. I suspect if you were sitting back several rows or in the balcony you would not get that "full effect".

Now, also note that the volume of the "Vegas" type shows is also very loud.

All of that being said, I think kids could necessarily enjoy the shows. I'd go and maybe sit closer to the back where you could sneak out if necessary. If you're on a week cruise, there will be 2 of the Vegas-type shows, so, if they do well you could always sit closer next time.

Just my $.02

Our kids enjoy the shows (they are 8 and 9), and I don't think they're inappropriate at all. If you are extremely conservative, I imagine some of the costumes might bother you, but I don't think most people would have a problem with their kids seeing the Carnival production shows.

Camp Carnival does take the kids to the production shows, so if you don't want them go to, be sure to pick them up before it's time for them to leave for the show lounge.

The costumes are skimpy and a lot of skin is shown, but nothing is shown that should be covered if that makes sense. Some parents have said the costumes were too skimpy for their children to see. Only you know where you draw the line. Some costumes have a material that is nude colored to imply more skin showing.

For me I wouldn't take my younger kids to it based on what we saw, not because of the costumes though. The moves she was doing directly in front of the kids, while smiling at the kids is what bothered me. Even Dh mentioned it looked like she was doing a strip show just for the young boys in the front row. We thought she took it way too far and so did several people sitting around us in the balcony. I can only imagine what it was like down front.

But like I said the boys sure weren't complaning. I don't have anything against it really, it's just nothing that I think my younger kids need to see. My older ones I wouldn't care.

It could have just been this particular dancer on this one show. I don't know, I have intentions of seeing another due to the lights flashing, not worth the pain it brings on.

What is funny is that some folks complain about the shows and then go to a beach or the pool where there is even more skin showing and dont say a word.

What I have always thought as contradictory is a woman who goes to a beach in a skimpy bikini without a thought. Yet if you walk in on her in a bra and panties (which covers more), she tries to cover up.

Dave

What is funny is that some folks complain about the shows and then go to a beach or the pool where there is even more skin showing and dont say a word.

What I have always thought as contradictory is a woman who goes to a beach in a skimpy bikini without a thought. Yet if you walk in on her in a bra and panties (which covers more), she tries to cover up.

Dave

Hi Dave...annnndddd, for that reason...I always wear "date" underwear..never know when one of those sweet cabin stewards will come in to tidy up :D

HI, we will be going on the Splendor in July. Our first cruise. I have three kids, ages 8,7, and 4 and we would like to see some of the night shows. Are the costumes inappropriate for kids? Are the women topless? I haven't heard anything about the shows. Thanks!!:)

in my opinion, YES.... g-string outfits. I would not take my kids to see it. but i have high morals. I don't think young girls should wear mini skirts to church functions. But that is just me.

No topless dancers! There may be a thong, but it's up to you to decide if it is inappropriate for your kids.

As another poster said, sit near the back or aisle so you can leave if you deem the costumes too skimpy.

Dave

I agree with you about the outfits, Dave. If the kids are used to seeing very little on some women (such as, they've been to the beach alot) that is one thing. What concerns me more about the kids is the "suggestive" way that some of the performances are done, and unless it's a certain kind of beach, one typically never sees those kinds of moves on "regular" beaches.

OP, you know where your morals and standards are. You've been given some really good feedback here. Hopefully, it will allow you to make a decision one way or the other.

Another option is for you and your SO to go to the first show, see what is there and then you can make a decision about the second.

Well, they do wear thongs, but I've never seen them wearing JUST thongs. They are usually covered by some type of skirt so you see a flash when they move in a certain way. The skimpiest I've seen is the Xtreme Country show where they wear the "saloon" type corsets (like a one piece swimsuit) that has fringe covering their arse, so that if they are facing you or dancing upright you don't see much, but when they turn around / bend over / spin you can see a flash of butt cheek. As other posters have said, you might see more flesh on the beach or pool deck.

On the Fantasy, Camp Carnival does have reserved seats, but they were the first two rows of the balcony, so they didn't get that "first row" effect.

We allowed our kids 8,8,10 to watch the show...

We're a medical/scientific family and so we teach that the body and all of its functions are normal and healthy-- there is nothing wrong with the human body. So for us (and respecting that others don't feel this way), we feel if we make a big deal out of the costumes, then we are making it a bigger deal than it is.

I just asked my kids what they thought about this question. My 9 year old boy doesn't remember anything about the costumes. My 11 year old son said the kids should be able to go see the show if only for a lesson on "how people are so crazy" and what the world will be like when they are adults. (he was talking about the costumes and the dance moves). LOL

in my opinion, YES.... g-string outfits. I would not take my kids to see it. but i have high morals. I don't think young girls should wear mini skirts to church functions. But that is just me.

Sorry, just did a double take when I read your post. First off, they are wearing thongs, not g strings. Second, many people who do allow their children to see the shows have high morals as well. In fact, some of us even think morals have nothing to do with whether or not one allows their child to witness a dancer in a thong...

Like I said the outfits didn't bother me. The thong covered crotch thrusts and gyrating in a way that appeared to be directly aimed at the young children in the front row is what bothered me. IMO that wasn't ok.

I don't expect them to change their show for my children. I simply won't take my kids. Problem solved.

I was a Carnival Showband Musician for 3 years or so... (it's much worse backstage, btw! lol...)

I am not a dancer, but from what I can tell (I have played more than a dozen different Carnival production shows) the dancers do a lot of dance moves that involve high kicks, splits, etc. Thongs are actually more functional, as "granny panties" would end up crammed up "there" if not for thongs. That would look ridiculous, and inconsistent from one arse to another. Of course it's for looks, but thongs are also simply what dancers wear. If you look closely, the dancers are also wearing skin-colored fishnets as well. The thongs appear to be all that's there, but there's more there, trust me. It's thongs over really thick stockings.

Take your kids to the shows. They're all different, with spectacular pyrotechnics, lighting, live musicians, singing, and beautiful colorful sets and costumes. This is not church, it's a spectacle that many people don't get to enjoy very often. A lot goes into these shows. The shows are carefully orchestrated and choreographed. The technicians and stage crew are highly-trained, as are the 7-10 live musicians, 2-4 singers, and more than 10 dancers. The singers, dancers and musicians practice and rehearse all the time, and if you support live shows like these, you keep us employed!

At least give it a try! (The best shows I ever did, personally, were on the Legend. Especially Take II - Very family-friendly. The least family-friendly? C'est Formidable on the Conquest).

Like I said the outfits didn't bother me. The thong covered crotch thrusts and gyrating in a way that appeared to be directly aimed at the young children in the front row is what bothered me. IMO that wasn't ok.

Just a friendly question: you said the outfits don't bother you, but the thong-covered crotch thrusts do...what if the crotches were wearing granny panties? would they bother you less? :p

I don't think there is quite as much "thrusting" as you think...most of the so-called "thrusting" I saw was in the context of a Latin-themed show, or portion of a show. Many common types of dances involve some sort of thrusting. Just giving artists the benefit of the doubt for a change!

I understand where you're coming from, though. I fully acknowledge that it's rare that everyone will be happy all the time. Make a list of all of the activities that are available on a Carnival ship. Carnival is perhaps doing their best to make everyone as happy as possible, dontcha think?

The shows are not meant to be offensive, they're meant to be a fun escape from reality. If you strip it all down (no pun intended) to "the dancers are gyrating at my kids", then I think you're missing the point of the fun aspect of seeing a spectacular show. The gyrating, I'm sure you can admit, is actually a very small portion of the production. The shows are meant to evoke imagination and emotion, they're meant to be fun and provocative, and happy and exciting. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to appreciate what mommy does, and all that is available for artists from all walks of life!

I honestly mean no offense.

• 10 months later...
I was a Carnival Showband Musician for 3 years or so... (it's much worse backstage, btw! lol...)

I am not a dancer, but from what I can tell (I have played more than a dozen different Carnival production shows) the dancers do a lot of dance moves that involve high kicks, splits, etc. Thongs are actually more functional, as "granny panties" would end up crammed up "there" if not for thongs. That would look ridiculous, and inconsistent from one arse to another. Of course it's for looks, but thongs are also simply what dancers wear. If you look closely, the dancers are also wearing skin-colored fishnets as well. The thongs appear to be all that's there, but there's more there, trust me. It's thongs over really thick stockings.

Take your kids to the shows. They're all different, with spectacular pyrotechnics, lighting, live musicians, singing, and beautiful colorful sets and costumes. This is not church, it's a spectacle that many people don't get to enjoy very often. A lot goes into these shows. The shows are carefully orchestrated and choreographed. The technicians and stage crew are highly-trained, as are the 7-10 live musicians, 2-4 singers, and more than 10 dancers. The singers, dancers and musicians practice and rehearse all the time, and if you support live shows like these, you keep us employed!

At least give it a try! (The best shows I ever did, personally, were on the Legend. Especially Take II - Very family-friendly. The least family-friendly? C'est Formidable on the Conquest).

Wow - back then, whilst cruising with CCL in the 90's, I didn't see (didn't remember seeing rather) any thongs in any one of their shows, but I saw my first in El Nueve Latino on the Inspiration in '07! Despite having three pre-adolescent (one like 6 or seven years old) on board with me, relatives, cousins, and friends, we didn't have a cow about them. I prefer Disney due to the fact that the only bare butts children will see are Donald's and Daisy's (not to mention Stitch's, Pluto's, Chip's, and Dale's), but hey - the entertainment is the best feature of the ship, thongs or no thongs!

Oh, and I'm happy that you're one of a handful of Carnival sidemen in the boards!

Archived