Solo Costa Cruisers

CruiseShelly

Went solo aboard Allegra last year for two weeks and will again next year for almost 6 weeks. One of the few lines with single cabins and supplements for twins that don't break the bank. No problems whatsoever on board encountered just cos I was a solo, had a great time and will be returning time and time again with the line :)

Remember that single cabins, when available, are usually very small and cramped, and placed in some of the most undesirable areas of the ship. On a recent cruise my wife and I met an experienced solo cruiser who confirmed this. The only time I cruised solo I paid an extra 80% to have a normal two-person outside cabin on the Europa a couple years ago.

Singles on Allegra are far from small or cramped, 15ft x 10ft (one corner taken by the bathroom), 4 wardrobes, 6 drawers, desk and nore floor space than my lounge at home...which is a one bedroomed flat.

Mine was midships, only minor problem was it was under the dressing room of the show lounge, but next year I have the identical cabin a deck lower :)

Thanks so much for the updates.

Did you find it a problem being English Speaking and not Italian speaking?

How much studying Italian ought I to do beforehand?

Is the daily program that they deliver the night before in English?

How about the menus at dinner, in English?

Deck chairs speak no language so I am okay on that one!

Costa is multinationality, so no worries about language on board...if anything people tend to whinge cos there are too many languages on board, they want all English all of the time. The staff are trained in at least 5 languages fluently and English is first language for all of them. Passengers come from all over the world too, just like every other cruise ship :)

Ally -- Your trips (2 wks and 6 wks) sound devine!!!!

CruiseShelly -- Love your thought: "Deck chairs speak no language so I am okay on that one!"

I love hearing the different languages! I am always in awe of how the staff can easily flow from their first language (be it Italian, English, Spanish) into another. (Their education really puts our typical US education to shame, in my humble opinion.)

As to the daily newsletter and menus in the diningrooms, it will be furnished to you in whatever language to desire. Your language preference is part of your record with Costa, so the cabin staff will generally know which version to deliver.

Oh, and if you're interested in learning a bit of Italian, be sure to look in the daily newsletter. Italian lessons are offered during the week by the activities staff. Aside from some words, I recall learning a cultural thing in the class and that is about lines (or ques). The young Italian lad pointed out a difference between the Americans and Italians -- Americans will stand in lines (e.g., at buffets, when boarding, etc.) and the Italians generally do not. From what I've read on this board, you may encounter a few cultural differences while aboard Costa. For me, I love the differences.

Any solo Costa Cruisers out there? Am contemplating Costa as a Solo Cruiser as their "up charge" is not much. I would to hear all opinions on this from Solo Cruisers.

Hi, I just booked today on the Mediterranea, didn't get that great of a discount but just liked the itinerary. The cruise was cheap to start with so even with paying the supplement it wasn't that bad. Sailing on Sept.12th, my first time with Costa. Wonder how Italian staff is going to be!!!:)

• 5 months later...
Caro1, keep me posted when you get back as I will be very interested on your experience.

Thanks, to everyone for their imput. I am less nervous now about the whole thing.

I've been back from my cruise for a while now and it was a wonderful cruise, the staff was great, cabin steward, waiters, reception desk, the food was good, I don't understand why there is so much complaining about Costa. This was my first cruise whith them and I've booked another one for next April. I've been travelling for over 20 years now and never hade to complain about anything, as long as I'm on vacation I'm happy!!!!The ship was also very, very clean. Embarcation was a breeze and debarkation too. My cabin was an outside and was a good size and really quiet too. Anyone who wants to cruise with Costa I encourage them to do so.:)

Archived