Rome - Train vs. Private Tour

You guys are great! Thanks for all the info! I read somewhere that the train schedules aren't out until 60 days before, so I'm going to have to wait a little longer. :)

Although you can't generally pre-purchase tickets more than 60 days out, there aren't usually all that many changes in the schedule (those wily Europeans have been at this for a few years). I just checked the times from the most recent schedule and compared to the times in my 2006 itinerary (cut and pasted from the May 2006 train schedule) and they were identical. Have fun in Rome!

P.

Although you can't generally pre-purchase tickets more than 60 days out, there aren't usually all that many changes in the schedule (those wily Europeans have been at this for a few years). I just checked the times from the most recent schedule and compared to the times in my 2006 itinerary (cut and pasted from the May 2006 train schedule) and they were identical. Have fun in Rome!

P.

Great to know! So it looks like if we decide to do it on our own, we're going to shoot for the 7:59 train. Thanks!

Hi auducky

It's better to contact a tour company.

You'll spend more but you'll have quality and more time at your disposal for visiting additional sites and going back to your hotel.

Bye...

Gunther from Frankfurt ( Germany )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all!

For those who have done either, or both, how much time did you actually have IN ROME (excluding travel time). I'm trying to figure out if we'll have more sightseeing time if we take the train by ourselves (since we won't have to worry about traffic - but then you have to worry about getting the right train time back) versus hiring a private tour company to drive us from the port and take us around. Any input/advice is greatly appreciated! :)

What time of year did you go? Also, was 7am the ships docking time and you were able to get off right away? If we do have a private tour, I'm wondering what time I should have him at the port for us. How much were you able to see on your tour?

Our ship was scheduled to dock at 7am but we arrived early in almost every port. I was surprised that unlike all my previous cruises there seemed to be little line or rush to get off the boat at earliest possible time as I had experienced on my other cruises. Go figure, most port intensive ports ever and no urgency to get off from most:confused: My guess and what I saw was that most of the early disembarkers were private tourers or DIY, while most of the ship cruise seemed to meet on ship 30' to later after official dock time, another good reason to go private ;)

We used Stefano last year (romecabs@yahoo.com) and will again this year, he and his staff are top knotch, spoke perfect english and so very friendly. I can't imagine going to such a wonderful city and missing all of it's treasures. Email Stefano he will set up a tour for whatever your want to see- even took my kid to the Ferrari dealership so he could see what they look like close up lol

Archived