what frequency does the cruise ship use?

mafig

Yet they let every little FRS/GMRS bubble pack radio on-board.

And those Frequencies are right in the same band as many of the on-board ship frequencies.... :eek:

Not really. FRS and GMRS bubble pack radios operate in the 462-467 mhz range and transmit with 2 watts or less.

VHF radios operate in the 156-157 mhz range and some readily available portables transmit at 6 watts. My Icom M24 transmits at 5 watts. And they can transmit on frequencies that are ACTUALLy used by the ship.

As far as safe operation of the ship is concerned the FRS/GMRS radios are not an issue.

Yes, if you are talking about VHF Maine.

However, 95% of cruise ships also use UHF Radios for on-board activities. :cool:

457/467 Mhz. And Many of their [illegal in the US of A] frequency choices are FRS/GMRS Pairs [OK in Europe/Asia - but not the USA]

http://scanmaritime.com/

http://scanmaritime.com/frequencies.htm <<-- at the bottom of the page lists the various Frequencies allowed and the Regions allowed, altho enforcement in the US is rare

Not really. FRS and GMRS bubble pack radios operate in the 462-467 mhz range and transmit with 2 watts or less.

VHF radios operate in the 156-157 mhz range and some readily available portables transmit at 6 watts. My Icom M24 transmits at 5 watts. And they can transmit on frequencies that are ACTUALLy used by the ship.

As far as safe operation of the ship is concerned the FRS/GMRS radios are not an issue.

Yes, if you are talking about VHF Maine.

However, 95% of cruise ships also use UHF Radios for on-board activities. :cool:

Well, ok, that's true. If it were me designing a UHF system for intra-ship communication I wouldn't use frequencies available to passengers with low cost transmitters but it looks like they do. Still, all external communications from the ship will be VHF or satellite or, maybe, HF SSB radio.

I thought that intra-ship communications have replaced UHF handi-talkies with internal cell phones. And those I believe are encrypted......

Good point and I don't know the answer. Watching the Port Everglades webcam when they are zoomed in on a departing ship it sometimes looks like the officers coordinating the docking/undocking are using UHF portables. I will look for them in Feb.

Good point and I don't know the answer. Watching the Port Everglades webcam when they are zoomed in on a departing ship it sometimes looks like the officers coordinating the docking/undocking are using UHF portables. I will look for them in Feb.

I was referring mainly to the hotel department on board.....perhaps the deck department still uses UHF or VHF radio's for operation purposes.

Archived