problems in port

saidia

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for such a great forum with people who have the cruising experience to help us cruise novices. Tried a 5 day cruise with Carnival out of Miami in December 2008 and loved it. Have 2 teenage boys so wanted a family friendly ship. We sail on the Ventura on its transatlantic relocation cruise. I am concerned about reports in its maiden trip to the caribbean that she was unable to get in to some of her ports of call. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think there must be a problem with the design of the ship. Last week on the Norway cruise the gangways had to be removed in Bergen while repositioning (using, I think, the thrusters) because it was difficult to remain "tied up". And then the ship never even stopped in the next port of call, Alesund, because it was considered too windy :eek:

I really wouldn't want to be on her in what is generally perceived as bad weather, it would be most uncomfortable.

We have done two cruises on Ventura, one around the med and a transatlantic repositioning one from the Caribbean. We did not miss any ports. I would happily go on Ventura again. Any cruise ship can miss ports due to bad weather and its one of these things that happen. MSC had one of their ships break away from the berth in Palma due to high winds earlier this year

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/entertainment/local/article/video_pick_cruise_ship_breaks_moorings/11003/

Brian

Ventura is actually the 10th ship of that design - all the rest of the 'Grand Princess' are the same. So whatever problems they have - and I'm not aware of any - Ventura will have as well.

Which means that she's likely to give many years of trouble-free cruising....

Ventura is actually the 10th ship of that design - all the rest of the 'Grand Princess' are the same. So whatever problems they have - and I'm not aware of any - Ventura will have as well.

I'm surprised you've never heard of Ventura missing ports before. I've read very little about her except when trying to get up to speed the last couple of weeks before we sailed. In that short time I found quite a few forum posts about the Ventura having problems visiting islands in the Caribbean and missing quite a few calls out, whilst other cruise ships managed to dock/anchor/land passengers in the same weather. The Ventura just seemed to be a difficult ship to handle. Or have I mixed her up with another ship?

_

Not quite. Ventura, and some of the later Princess ships of this class, has an extra deck and so is higher and more susceptible to side winds.

Brian

I'm surprised you've never heard of Ventura missing ports before. I've read very little about her except when trying to get up to speed the last couple of weeks before we sailed. In that short time I found quite a few forum posts about the Ventura having problems visiting islands in the Caribbean and missing quite a few calls out, whilst other cruise ships managed to dock/anchor/land passengers in the same weather. The Ventura just seemed to be a difficult ship to handle. Or have I mixed her up with another ship?

_

First, all ships have missed ports for all sorts of reasons.

Second, Ventura has not missed any more than others.

Third Ventura missed 2 ports in 1 cruise and got a lot of bad publicity.

Four Ventura is a wonderful ship and fairs no worse than others in poor weather, and is not difficult to handle.

Last, some people will jump in and have a go at the ship for any reason and do not like the facts getting in the way.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

First, all ships have missed ports for all sorts of reasons. Second, Ventura has not missed any more than others. Third Ventura missed 2 ports in 1 cruise and got a lot of bad publicity. Four Ventura is a wonderful ship and fairs no worse than others in poor weather, and is not difficult to handle. Last, some people will jump in and have a go at the ship for any reason and do not like the facts getting in the way.

Indeed. You seem to have difficulty in accepting the facts about last week's cruise. However, since you seem to be well-informed on the subject, perhaps you could give some figures about how many ports Ventura has missed and compare them with the other ships you seem to know about. Facts are so much more valuable than mere opinion.

Last, some people will jump in and have a go at the ship for any reason and do not like the facts getting in the way.

Dai

Some people will jump in to support P&O whatever the situation, and do not like the facts getting in the way. ;)

Regards Cb

Indeed. You seem to have difficulty in accepting the facts about last week's cruise. However, since you seem to be well-informed on the subject, perhaps you could give some figures about how many ports Ventura has missed and compare them with the other ships you seem to know about. Facts are so much more valuable than mere opinion.

So that is 3 ports in 6+ months so if that is not to your liking then cancel.

Cruising is like that, there are no certainties. As with any other type of travel.

eg

Train delays and cancellations due to weather

Aircraft changing airports due to fog and bad weather.

Motorway delays due to bad weather crashes etc.

This missing ports happens to all ships and all lines.

It is not a big deal. It will happen.

Dai

Thank you everyone for your responses. Since Ventura has numerous sister ships of the same design I feel she is being victimised for what appears to have been 1 problematic caribbean cruise probably because she is marketed to a different audience. On ballance your responses have reassured me that I have made a good choice with Ventura and I am looking forward to my trip.:)

So that is 3 ports in 6+ months so if that is not to your liking then cancel.

Dai, your inability to provide any statistics shows that your responses are just a knee-jerk reaction in defence of P&O - prompted whenever a poster fails to praise everything on Ventura. Therefore your replies are of little value - they sound like paid puffery :p

I do object to your accusing me of "having a go" at the ship when all I was doing was stating what had actually happened to me. In another post I have defended (and praised) the food on Ventura in response to poster who complained about the standard. I didn't see you jumping in then to accuse me of exaggerating.

I can now see that your opinions count for little - they are ill-thought out, provide no evidence, and appear to be made in response to any truthful comment about Ventura. Sorry, but you have really gone down in my estimation.

Dai, your inability to provide any statistics shows that your responses are just a knee-jerk reaction in defence of P&O - prompted whenever a poster fails to praise everything on Ventura. Therefore your replies are of little value - they sound like paid puffery :p

I do object to your accusing me of "having a go" at the ship when all I was doing was stating what had actually happened to me. In another post I have defended (and praised) the food on Ventura in response to poster who complained about the standard. I didn't see you jumping in then to accuse me of exaggerating.

I can now see that your opinions count for little - they are ill-thought out, provide no evidence, and appear to be made in response to any truthful comment about Ventura. Sorry, but you have really gone down in my estimation.

I'm afraid I couldn't agree more.

Regretfully, Sir Martin

Cottonbuddas, you seem to be blowing this out of all proportion. The orginal poster is happy with the replys and happy to Cruise on the Ventura. There is no need for Dia to back up his opinion and no need for you ether, just draw a line under it and move on.

There is no need for Dia to back up his opinion and no need for you ether, just draw a line under it and move on.

If you read back, Dai did not present his thoughts as opinion, he incorrectly presented them as facts. Perhaps you could have intervened earlier and taken him to task too ........ or are you too a member of the Ventura-is-never-wrong brigade ;)?

If you read back, Dai did not present his thoughts as opinion, he incorrectly presented them as facts. Perhaps you could have intervened earlier and taken him to task too ........ or are you too a member of the Ventura-is-never-wrong brigade ;)?

Opinions/ facts/evidence it's not a court of law. As stated the O/P is happy with choice of Cruise and Ship, it's time for you to move on and let it go.

...... it's time for you to move on and let it go.

And to be telling me this, you are ......... who? If you don't like the thread, may I suggest it is YOU who should move on and ignore that which you don't like. I don't think it is your role to be telling others what to do (unless you actually own this site, in which case you can do exactly what you like).

Supporting those who will not hear any adverse comments about Ventura does not enhance your reputation as a reliable informant.

Cottonbuddas, you seem to be blowing this out of all proportion. The orginal poster is happy with the replys and happy to Cruise on the Ventura. There is no need for Dia to back up his opinion and no need for you ether, just draw a line under it and move on.

STOP adding fuel to the fire, then this topic will not GO on and on.

Regards Cb

So 3 in 6+ is not a sdtatistic?

Fine.

So I have and I Quote "but you have really gone down in my estimation" is that so and this has been built up over er how many weeks?

Or is it not that you have come to stir.

Well cottonbuddas you have been found out.

:):)Happy Cruising to everyone else.:):)

Dai

So I have and I Quote "but you have really gone down in my estimation" is that so and this has been built up over er how many weeks?

Or is it not that you have come to stir. Well cottonbuddas you have been found out.

When I saw your reply, I wondered about your reasons for posting in such a biased manner so I looked at many of your previous posts. When I saw that your responses were mostly tarred with the same brush ie Ventura is always right and anybody posting differently is (a) lying (b) stirring © having a go, I decided that your opinion was not one to take seriously and could therefore be dismissed. Were you a little more open-minded, you might find that your opinion could be taken more seriously.

And perhaps you could explain in what way I have been "found out", since your last para doesn't make complete sense. I've only made a handful of posts, most on them on this thread so it would be interesting to see what conclusions you've jumped to now :confused:

Perhaps what Dai may mean is, people who have only recently joined the site, posted very few times, the majority of their post being contentious, not just on this thread, may only be out to cause trouble or to stir.

All opinions are biased, depending on ones experience, good or bad, does not make them invalid, whether one wants to take them serious is up to the individual.

As I have said we were in a force 10/11 gail on Ventura which lasted over 24 hours, just off the coast of Portugal, I thought Ventura handled it very well, others on the same cruise may have a different opinion, does not make their opinion invalid.:eek:

Perhaps what Dai may mean is, people who have only recently joined the site, posted very few times, the majority of their post being contentious, not just on this thread, may only be out to cause trouble or to stir.

Oh, right, I understand where you are coming from now. My posts that do not fawn upon the perfection of Ventura are classed as contentious. My posts that praised Ventura are ignored, although apparently also contentious in your eyes.

Perhaps you could suggest a way in which you would consider my posts to be non-contentious - no doubt only those that agreed with your own viewpoint?

Archived