Gem Balcony Doors

jlyn1216

When i went on the Gem in December we had such problems with the balcony door. It would not lock with just the regular lock. We had to use the child lock. Even with the child lock it would still make weird noises. Anyone have problem with the doors?

We used a big rubber band to keep the sliding door open, without it the door would slam open and closed and make a VERY loud noise. We never had a problem with it staying closed or locking.

We also had problems with the door locking but a couple of calls and they were able to fix that. Keeping the door from slamming shut was another story but solved that with a stick.

2364964030059187889S425x425Q85.jpg

This will be my first balcony cabin and somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my mind I remember reading the suggestion to bring a bungee cord to keep the door open. Is this still the case? We will be on the Jade if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Debbie

The bungee cord is more suitable for those that have a swinging door - Carnival and I think Princess?

Sliding doors on NCL - ours always stayed open just fine. Though in rough seas it might slide back and forth a little. Wedge something under it to keep it in place.

I had no problem keeping it open. I just had a problem keeping it closed. I contacted housekeeping several times and it never got fixed. I think it might have been slide open and closed because of the weird course we took. We seemed to be going in circles.

was in room 9114 0n 1/25/09, cruise door opened by it self during the night and would not stop making noise. after many attemps to repair it they moved us up to deck 10 and gave us ship board credit.

We also sailed the Gem in december out of New York, we luckily had an inside cabin as well as the balcony. The door was making a terrible rattling sound in the wind or rough seas, so much that it was difficult for my wife and daughter to sleep. We called engineering and after waiting one day were told that it could not be fixed, it had to do with a problem in the bulkhead. Our room steward came to the rescue and was able to quiet things down to a reasonable level, but there were other passengers complaining about similar problems.

I was on the Pearl last week and discovered that if I put the door handle into the Locked position while the door was open, it would engage a mechanism that increased the friction between the door and door frame. It would prevent the door from sliding unless a person tried sliding it. Even in rough seas it would only move an inch at most.

Archived