London to Paris via Eurostar

I am so full of questions, as our trip is starting to get closer. We are definately thinking of doing a one day journey to Paris via the Eurostar. I know it is a long day, but realistically, we may never get back this way again, and the chance to see Paris, if only for a short time, is overwhleming, so we will probably be doing it.

My questions, is going to Paris on a Sunday, any different than any other day>> Are the 'attractions' open jsut as long on a Sunday as opposed to other days (like the Louvre, any of the churches etc??).

Would the city itself be more accessable on a Sunday, less crowds, as opposed to a weekday?? (I would think it the opposite, but we are just not sure)

On the Europstar, are you assigned a set seat, (2nd class), or is a first come first serve type of thing??

Are euro's readily acceptable in Paris (or do the French snub their noses on them)??

Once again, thank you ever so much for all your advice.

On the Europstar, are you assigned a set seat, (2nd class), or is a first come first serve type of thing?? .

Yes, seat numbers are assigned on Eurostar

Are euro's readily acceptable in Paris (or do the French snub their noses on them)??

Euro's are the only currency in France.

Its London where we snub our noses at the Euro

Don't think it really matters what day you go to Paris.

Cathedrals are primarily religeous not tourist attractions, so just like London there will probably be restrictions on a Sunday you won't get other days.

Again like London, Sundays are a bit slower starting on Sundays but by late afternoon its as busy as ever in the main tourist areas

The dead time to visit Paris is August (its also the cheapest time) when the French flee Paris and leave it to the tourists.

My dh and I did this last year and are really glad that we did it. When we got to Paris we purchased tickets for the hop on hop off bus and are really happy we did that. The bus gave us a good overview of the city and we had time to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

We were really happy that we got to see Paris if only for a short while, I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we enjoyed ours!:D

Also depending on which Sunday in the month you go - you can get into the Louvre free ( if it's the first Sunday of the month)

Definitely recommend getting the hop on hop off bus for the day trip - the best way to see the city and also try to pop up to Montmartre before catching the Eurostar back to London.

We ARE going in August. Is there a site to find the operating hours of some of the attractions, like the Louvre, Eiffel Tower etc??

They all have their own website. Paris is not dead in August. We were there two years ago. Some of the smaller restaurants and shops are closed but nothing major.

We ARE going in August. Is there a site to find the operating hours of some of the attractions, like the Louvre, Eiffel Tower etc??

I don't mean totally dead in August, the tourist places will still operate as normal, there are just fewer French around in August as many go away on holiday in August.

Because there is little French businessmen in town the hotels are relatively empty and you get the best rates of the year at this time.

I'm certainly not suggesting you purchase their pass for only one day, but the Paris Museum Pass web site has links to the museums. You can follow the links for one stop shopping of operating hours.

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/musees_liste_nom.php

BTW - On my previous visit I purchased the 7 day pass. It does save a bit of money, but the greatest advantage was being able to bypass the ticket lines, many of them were extremely long. Sacre Ceour Cathedral required a wait, but that was the only exception I can recall.

Also depending on which Sunday in the month you go - you can get into the Louvre free ( if it's the first Sunday of the month)

Definitely recommend getting the hop on hop off bus for the day trip - the best way to see the city and also try to pop up to Montmartre before catching the Eurostar back to London.

Glenda:

I'll likely do Paris via a day on Eurostar as well. I esp. want to see Montmartre. Best way to do that? Metro?

Thanks, Martha

Glenda:

I'll likely do Paris via a day on Eurostar as well. I esp. want to see Montmartre. Best way to do that? Metro?

Thanks, Martha

Fairly easy to get by Metro. I usually get the #2 line (Direction Nation) from the Etoile/Arc de Triomphe/western end of Champs Elysees to Anvers station and walk up rue Steinkerque to the funicular which takes you up to Montmartre right by the plaza in front of Sacre Coeur (the funicular costs a Metro ticket; there are steps if you are a stairmaster whiz). If you wanted to get to Montmartre directly from Gare du Nord where the Eurostar comes in, take the #4 line (Direction Porte de Cligancourt) one stop from Gare du Nord and at Barbes-Rochechouart switch to the #2 (this time, Direction Porte-Dauphine) and ride one stop to Anvers.

From the funicular, I would go left on rue St. Eleuthere, looking left for a great view over Paris on a clear day. The street winds around to Place du Tertre, very touristy, but it is the scene which probably spells Montmartre to anyone who has seen movies set in Paris. From there, I would go left on rue Norvins and either take rue Lepic or Avenue Junot; the former takes you (corner of Girardon) to one of the old mills commemorated in Moulin Rouge, and the latter takes you past Place Marcel Ayme, with a very wierd sculpture celebrating his famous story "The Man Who Could Walk Through Walls." If you stay on Junot, it will curve around and eventually put you on Rue Calaincourt near the Lamarck-Calaincourt Metro station (used in the movie "Amelie"), or you could turn right on rue Girardon and take the steps down to the same area, passing a public school with a plaque commemorating Jewish pupils deported during the Holocaust. At the point, you are bit north of Montmartre in a middle-class residential area which will give you a glimpse of the real Paris. Metro Line 12 (Direction Mairie D'Issy) will get you back to Place de la Concorde.

I recommend going to Palace of Versailles it is incredible they run all of the fountains on Sundays. The inside of the Palace by itself is remarkable but the Gardens are breathtaking but if do go make sure you buy you're ticket in advance because the lines can be extremely long for the tickets. Also Notre Dame is open even though there is services held there because it's a public building so there isn't the restrictions that you will have in a normal cathedral.

Fairly easy to get by Metro. I usually get the #2 line (Direction Nation) from the Etoile/Arc de Triomphe/western end of Champs Elysees to Anvers station and walk up rue Steinkerque to the funicular which takes you up to Montmartre right by the plaza in front of Sacre Coeur (the funicular costs a Metro ticket; there are steps if you are a stairmaster whiz). If you wanted to get to Montmartre directly from Gare du Nord where the Eurostar comes in, take the #4 line (Direction Porte de Cligancourt) one stop from Gare du Nord and at Barbes-Rochechouart switch to the #2 (this time, Direction Porte-Dauphine) and ride one stop to Anvers.

From the funicular, I would go left on rue St. Eleuthere, looking left for a great view over Paris on a clear day. The street winds around to Place du Tertre, very touristy, but it is the scene which probably spells Montmartre to anyone who has seen movies set in Paris. From there, I would go left on rue Norvins and either take rue Lepic or Avenue Junot; the former takes you (corner of Girardon) to one of the old mills commemorated in Moulin Rouge, and the latter takes you past Place Marcel Ayme, with a very wierd sculpture celebrating his famous story "The Man Who Could Walk Through Walls." If you stay on Junot, it will curve around and eventually put you on Rue Calaincourt near the Lamarck-Calaincourt Metro station (used in the movie "Amelie"), or you could turn right on rue Girardon and take the steps down to the same area, passing a public school with a plaque commemorating Jewish pupils deported during the Holocaust. At the point, you are bit north of Montmartre in a middle-class residential area which will give you a glimpse of the real Paris. Metro Line 12 (Direction Mairie D'Issy) will get you back to Place de la Concorde.

BobK:

Thank you so much for your wonderfully informative post! It's printed and will be used!

I am grateful for the time you took to also recommend the walk.

Martha

Archived