St. John for $24 per person round trip!

ebandive

Yes that is right! If you are up for a bit of an adventure, you can go to St. John on your own for cheap!

We did it last month when we were on the Triumph. There is plenty of info already on this board about how to do it. If you want to read the details of how it worked with us, go to Carnival Triumph link in my signature for details and lots of pictures of Trunk Bay in St. John. :):):)

I'd like to thank any previous posters for helping make this possible for us! Trunk Bay was SO beautiful! :D

Please tell me how you did this for $$24. I have heard this can be pricey.:)

She took the public bus to and from Red Hook instead of taking a taxi. Public transportation is $2pp one way vs. paying $10pp one way for the taxi.

ok, is it alot of walking to get to the kmart? My mom is 76 years old and we are not sure if this would be good for us. She does walk alot at home, but worried if this is too long. SO, how long would you say you walked to get the cheaper taxi? We really want to go to St. John.:)

Exactly as Autumn said. I go into more detail in my review about the price breakdown and how to do it, just click on the link in my signature. :)

Erin thanks alot for the great review. It's posters like you that makes cruise crittic great. If we get to st johns around 10am what time should we leave to get back by 530pm for a 6pm sail ? Was the boat ride rough to trunk bay?

ok, is it alot of walking to get to the kmart? My mom is 76 years old and we are not sure if this would be good for us. She does walk alot at home, but worried if this is too long. SO, how long would you say you walked to get the cheaper taxi? We really want to go to St. John.:)

I probably woudn't recommend it in your case. It probably took us about 10 minutes to walk it, but we are fast walkers. It took us more time to figure out where we were supposed to stand once we got there (we ended up actually walking to the intersection PAST the Kmart.) And keep in mind that the road is pretty busy so you may have to run across... plus the taxis are open air taxis with just a bar to hang on to. You can still save money by taking your own taxi for $10 per person straight from the pier to red hook instead of booking with the cruise line. Or for worry free travel, just pay a bit more and book it with the cruise line.

Regardless how you get there, it is SOOO worth it! :):):) Hope that helps!

Erin thanks alot for the great review. It's posters like you that makes cruise crittic great. If we get to st johns around 10am what time should we leave to get back by 530pm for a 6pm sail ? Was the boat ride rough to trunk bay?

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I assure you that I really enjoyed posting it, it's like reliving the cruise all over again! :D

I'm not really going to be able to answer your question. I know I've read different things about that on the St. Thomas board, so you could probably do a search from it. I remember researching it myself and reading a couple of different things:

First, the water taxi's from St. John to St. Thomas aren't always reliable on the time they are supposed to be there. They may run half an hour or more late.

Second, It is about a twenty minute taxi ride from Red Hook back to Havensight under perfect conditions, and you drive through much of the island. Depending on traffic, it could take much longer than expected.

Personally, I'm scared to death of missing the ship, plus I tire of the beach easily because of my fair skin (even if I am on the most beautiful beach in the world *sigh*) so we left shortly after 12:00. When we left there were still lots of people there, and in fact we had to wait awhile for a taxi driver to take us from Trunk Bay back to the ferry dock because he didn't want to take just us.

I've read about people aiming to leave St. John at 2:00 in order to assure being back on time. Just do the research so you can be completely prepared!

And above all, relax and have a great cruise! :D

My opinion - Not worth it to save $8 each way to have to walk 20 minutes to get a public cab, especially if you're lugging more than just a towel with you. It gets hot and your stuff is wet and heavier on the way back too, especially if you're picking up something to bring back from St John. There is already enough to worry about with the connections from cab to ferry to cab to Trunk Bay to have to more into the equation. You save enough by doing it on your own.

My opinion - Not worth it to save $8 each way to have to walk 20 minutes to get a public cab, especially if you're lugging more than just a towel with you. It gets hot and your stuff is wet and heavier on the way back too, especially if you're picking up something to bring back from St John. There is already enough to worry about with the connections from cab to ferry to cab to Trunk Bay to have to more into the equation. You save enough by doing it on your own.

True. Thanks for your opinion. :) It really does depend on how comfortable you are in another country/culture, and if you don't mind walking. Also for some people $32 might not be much money ($8 x 2, x 2 again for 2 people) but if you have a limited exursion budget, it might be a good option for you, like it was for me. :):):)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes that is right! If you are up for a bit of an adventure, you can go to St. John on your own for cheap!

We did it last month when we were on the Triumph. There is plenty of info already on this board about how to do it. If you want to read the details of how it worked with us, go to Carnival Triumph link in my signature for details and lots of pictures of Trunk Bay in St. John. :):):)

I'd like to thank any previous posters for helping make this possible for us! Trunk Bay was SO beautiful! :D

Hi Erin,

My DW and I just read your review about your trip on the Triumph and have decided that we want to be your friends for life...What a great review!! My question now to you is did you have an excursion planned at Trunk bay for snorkeling, and isn't this the place where you did the snorkeling trail where you had the guide who took pictures on your trip that were unbelievable and showed the wonderful fish shots? We're going there next April and want to do the snorkeling trail, and really would like to find that same guide..

Archived