Do you need to stick with the cruise excursions?

Lessa11

Should you only use tours booked thru the cruise line?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should you only use tours booked thru the cruise line?

• Yes, definitely
    • No, not necessary
    • I think the guy that said that works for the cruise lines.

Someone told my DH that it's important to only use the tours offered by your cruise line because they will take responsibility for getting you back to the ship if you miss it due to a tour returning late. What do you think?

Here's my reason: we got robbed in Jamaica and were on our own with no money to take a cab back to the boat. We were able to get back with help from some passengers, but I will never take a non-ship sponsored excursion again because I don't want to risk being stuck somewhere with no way back!

I am sorry lovebug about what happened to you. How horrible.

As far as excursions, if the ship is in port all day then booking your own excursion seems doable. The excursion I booked through the cruisline was the Buchart Gardens, as our ship will only be in port 4.5 hours, however I found 2 reviews that said it was late both times. So they will get us back in time for sailing.

Arranging your own tours can be fun, more flexible and less expensive,

but you must be careful about how much time you will be in port and

how you go about this. There are tour companies in almost every port

that you can contact individually to arrange your own schedule. On a

recent tour I booked a heli tour for 55 min for $179 and the same tour

onboard was $250. But do book tours thru a reputable company (plenty

of info is available on CC) or rent a car -- don't just wander off into

unknown territory alone without some research.

We've sailed on about 17 cruises and used ship shore tours only on our first cruise. We take a tour at every stop and have never been even close to late for sailing. We like the private tours because you are not herded around in line like kindergarteners and onto big buses with large numbers of people. We have always consulted these boards and chosen a private tour based on reviews from here. Can't think of one disappointment. We also have taken advantage of some of the websites like shore trips dot com and have always been well pleased with their offerings.

Smooth sailing!!

Dinah

We only book independent tours! Reputable tour companies make their living off of the cruise passengers and can't afford not getting you back to the ship on time. We have booked dozens of tours on our own and have never even been close to missing a departure time. The tours are cheaper most of the time, but more importantly, more personal. You can find many reputable tours for the ports you are in by searching CC.

Reputable tour companies make their living off of the cruise passengers and can't afford not getting you back to the ship on time.
Absolutely! These operators are very well aware of the clock. We've taken many independent tours and have been very pleased.

Here's my reason: we got robbed in Jamaica and were on our own with no money to take a cab back to the boat. We were able to get back with help from some passengers, but I will never take a non-ship sponsored excursion again because I don't want to risk being stuck somewhere with no way back!

I hear your pain. This happened to us too, in Mazatlan on our first cruise in '93. My husband either lost his wallet out of his pocket getting out of a cab, or was pickpocketed in line at the bar (I think the latter) ... we lost most of our cash and our travelers' checks. Luckily I had just enough cash on me for a cab back to the ship. Trying to get a call through to American Express to replace the travelers checks was quite a hassle as well! Still though ... that kind of thing can happen anywhere, and we've learned to be a lot more careful with our valuables now.

Archived