Alternate border crossing?

We will be driving from Seattle to Vancouver B.C. on 9/4/09.We will pick up a rental car at Seatac and drive to Ballantyne pier.We will leave Seatac at 9:30 a.m. Our shipsails at 5:00 p.m.This is the Friday before the U.S. Labor Day weekend.Please don't suggest leaving the day before we can't.Any advice is appreciated.

It is also the Labour Day weekend in Canada as well....so it is going to be tough at the border crossings. If you can get away before 9:30 that would be better. You have a 3 hr drive and you could have up to a 3 hr wait at the border, with a 5 pm sailing you stand a huge risk of not making it as you must be aboard ship 90 mins before sailing and we haven't considered the time required to return the car. There is the Lynden/Aldergrove crossing which often has much shorter waits...check on mapquest or bring a GPS. However even at that you are pushing the evelope to the max. So my sincere advice is to leave Seattle much earlier than 9:30 ....even if that means a redeye flight or change your flight to go directly to Vancouver....sorry.

The ship sails at 5 but you need to be on it, with rental car returned, well before that.

Frankly I think you're making a mistake, and I wouldn't presume to suggest you try an alternate border crossing - it's going to be the traffic that gets in your way - in construction zones in Seattle, along the route, close to the border, in Canada, in Vancouver... it's a holiday weekend in Canada, too, y' know. And if your plane is late... trouble in Rain City.

IMO you should drop the car idea and just book a connecting flight from SEA to YVR.

I can see an 11:30 departure on Air Canada for $109 per person, 48 min., so you can be at Ballantyne around 1:30 - 2 at the latest.

I imagine the car rental will be in the US$150 range, plus gas, so for 2 pax it's going to be close to a push, and the savings created by the car are not great enough to warrant the risk of things going pear-shaped.

I can not thank you both enough! I did not realize Canada celebrated their own Labour Day!If I ever have the privelege of sailing with either of you I owe you both a martini.Wow I thought I found the answer to Celebrity canceling their bus due to the new Border rules by renting the car.We now have flights booked on Air Canada.Thank you both so much for helping us get to the ship on time.The info I have found on these boards is invaluable.The help you both gave me will get us to the ship on time.We so appreciate you taking the time to post.

Archived